Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > Motoring Files: Tales from the open road.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northwest Scenic Drives and Backroads?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brgcoopers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northwest Scenic Drives and Backroads?
    Posted: July/27/14 at 7:58am
Hi All,

I love to go motoring. I am always looking for the next great drive. I have been up Chuckanut Drive, HWY 20, Mt. Baker. I am looking for more back roads and scenic drives in the Washington and in Oregon, Idaho, BC. Please post your suggestions.

Thanks
Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/14 at 8:27am
I know of a couple fun/scenic drives.

The first one is from Tacoma to Satsop.
Starting from the narrows, head out like you're going to Bremerton, take the key center exit and jump over State Route 3. This road is a nice drive that follows the bay area in Shelton. From there, if you cut through the city and reconnect to State Route 3, you follow a nice mild curve/hill road through the base forests of the Olympics. Ending in Satsop.

Second is McCleary to Brooklyn.
Starting from McCleary, head south like you're going to Astoria. Take a left on North River Rd. Following that there are some pretty serious corners following the river. But very fun in the mini on a nice day. You can also stop by the historic Brooklyn tavern. If Ciara is there, mention me and she may give a discount - family owned.

Lastly, there I'd the Grays Harbor loop. Starting in Hoquiam, heading to oceans shores. You can do an entire loop around. Fun little hilly/curvy road. But this one cones with a warning. The area of grays harbor is a bit poor and some of the mentality of drivers and tourists is a bit lacking. Sometimes clogging the awesome corners of this road. I am not sure of specifics on this one. But hey, its the beach. Its going to be awesome anyway.
Hello MINI Punisher!
Rob and Terri View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob and Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/14 at 10:15am

Lots of great MINI (and bike) roads in SW Washington.  In the neighborhood of Punisher's suggestions consider the route from Elma to Seaview/Long Beach area as well.  From Elma take 107 to 101 which will lead you through the towns of Raymond and South Bend toward to your destination of Long Beach.  The road surface is very good for secondary roads and will thoroughly work your suspension with its twists and turns.  When you get to Long Beach you can get your fill of a typically tacky ocean front town plus a great drivable beach to explore.  

Within the last month I drove this route returning from Portland on a Sunday AM and was delighted in the lack of RVs until we reached Elma.  Only one patrol unit set up about three mils south of South Bend.  A word of caution though, this is deer country!  Saw several overnight roadkills.

Rob 

2017 Clubman S All4- Moonwalk grey w/pearl int. (Moonshadow). Previous MINIs: 2014 All Black F56 Justa . 2013 S Hardtop, 'KERMINI' - BRG/BRG w/Beige interior
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/14 at 1:45pm
Try these before the weather changes (theyare closed in the winter):

Wind River Highway up the back side of Mt. St. Helens that runs from Carson to Randle. We drove this route on our way home from the Maryhill Loops Road drive on the 4th of July. It was a blast and had almost no traffic even on the Sunday afternoon of a three day weekend.

Drive up to Mowich Lake on the NW flank of Mt. Rainier. This is another low traffic route with tight twists and turns. Visit the historic tavern in Carbonado Saloon for refreshments.

Zip around Mt. Rainier via highway 410 through Enumclaw up into the mountains, the south over Cayuse Pass and return on White Pass Highway (US 12)
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/14 at 9:32pm
MacKenzie Pass Hiway out of Sisters, Oregon.  Closed in the winter.  Called the Dragon of the West.  There is a cool observatory made out of lava at the summit. 

Don't fall off...
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/14 at 7:30am
Good suggestion Pat!
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
 Post Reply Post Reply