Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPDA holder + ODB-II connection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PDA holder + ODB-II connection
    Posted: August/02/06 at 8:31am

I saw a gadget on ThinkGeek.com http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8426/ and it got me thinking about something I’d like to do for my car. 
I would like to have a PDA mounted in such a way as to not impede functionality of anything already in the car (all stock stuff).  I would prefer it to be mounted somewhere to the right of the steering wheel so as to be easy to see, and easy to get, but again, not interfere with anything already installed.

I would also like to have either a Bluetooth ODB-II port connector http://www.blueobd.com/ or (less attractive option) have a wired connection to the PDA so I can bring up a screen to show me whatever data I want on the PDA screen (obviously with the appropriate software installed).
With this setup I bet I could even take all that data and calculate out any derived statistics I wanted, including, but not limited to things such as Horsepower and fuel efficiency trends.

Has anyone done anything like this with their Mini, or seen it done online?  I did see someone do a fuel efficiency test with a Jeep using this sort of setup, and I don’t think it would be all that hard to put something together for my Mini.  I’m just looking to see what has been done so far as inspiration before I go crazy trying to fabricate my own system.

~Mozleron
All black 2003 Mini Cooper S
Pictures of Draco and mods
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/06 at 9:13am
I use a ProClip for my Sirius radio.  http://www.proclipusa.com  It mounts to the downtube on the passenger side.  I didn't use the double sided tape, so I can remove it at any time, as well.  They have a large variety of mount adapters, so you may want to cruise over there and see if they have something already for the PDA.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Mozleron View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/06 at 2:56pm
Thanks for the link Phydeaux, they just might have what i need.

The three i saw listed for the Mini in particular look like they might even work without using the adhesive, just like you said!

~Mozleron
All black 2003 Mini Cooper S
Pictures of Draco and mods
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/06 at 1:49am
I'll be at the MINI show, I'll show it off, if you need.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
 Post Reply Post Reply