Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

strange sound when pressing clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Dubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strange sound when pressing clutch
    Posted: April/20/15 at 11:09am
A couple of days ago, I noticed a sound only when I press the clutch.  Its hard to describe, but maybe like a whirring.  It is high pitched spinning sound, but not a squeal.  Shifting between gears seems to be unaffected so far.  

I've got 115K miles on my 2002 Cooper.  Have owned it since about 60K miles and never had troubles.

Do you think i've got a failing clutch?  Maybe just a fluid thing?  Any ideas?  

-------------------------------

Jim Woodard (J Dubya)
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/15 at 1:53pm
If it's an R50, that noise is your throwout bearing giving you some advance warning.  The throwout bearing is a weak spot on this model, and when it grenades (and it probably will) your car will be pretty much immobile.  There should be plenty of pictures on here and on Kurt's (Corners) You Tube page.

If it's an R53, I think the throwout bearing is slightly sturdier but still prone to grenading.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/15 at 1:53pm
That sounds like a failing throwout bearing. It is pretty common for these to fail on the first gen Coopers. They have smaller throwout bearings than on the Cooper S.

At some point the bearing will fail and you will be unable to disengage the clutch, probably within the next 1-6 weeks.
I'd recommend preparing for a clutch replacement. 115K sounds about right for the longevity of this part.

Post Reply Post Reply