Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Down :(

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini Down :(
    Posted: May/22/15 at 7:59pm
Last night, driving back from Bremerton into Tacoma my Mini broke down and left me stranded. It's currently at Tork Motorsports getting diagnosed. We did some looking last night, did a compression test. 1 and 2 are good, 3 and 4 were not good at all. Ran a borescope down into the chambers and found some damage inside the cylinders. The good news is that I bought the extended service warranty when I bought the car, so any damage should be covered. John is shooting for replacing the motor all together. 

Unfortunately this means I am out a vehicle for the time being, aside from my motorcycle, and I don't know if the service plan covers a rental. As some of you know I am a courier and use my Mini to deliver some packages. Does anyone know of a cheap (read that as under $500) beater?
2011 MCS
Redstarkid View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redstarkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/15 at 9:10pm
Trolling through craigslist, and the prognosis isn't good. Shockingly, most vehicles priced under $500 are in terrible shape. Hopefully they can get you a loaner or something. I'll pm you some links if i see something running that isn't an obvious scam.

What year was your Mini?
Pippa-'04 Mini Cooper S in Pure Silver. Featuring an Alta 2.0 15% reduction Pully and 2% overdrive ATI Super Damper. Madness rear sway, Koni shocks, NGK plugs and wires, and polyurethane everything.
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/15 at 9:50pm
2011 MCS with the N18 Prince motor. I looked on Craigslist as well, Seattle, Olympic Pen, and Portland. I saw a Jeep Cherokee that was missing the back seat but ran, which is perfect for me, but said it had damage on the steering column, not sure what he meant by that.
2011 MCS
mlgod2002! View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlgod2002! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/15 at 7:29pm
Have you fixed your mini yet? I can help with the diagnosis.
RedBarnes View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBarnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/15 at 2:04am
Yeah, well kinda. The extended warranty covered the replacement of the motor. Carbon buildup got into the cylinders and played hell with the interior bits of the motor. Found a replacement motor in california from a 2013 MCS with 20,000 miles on it. Got the car back last friday, but she is going back in this week to get the turbo replaced. Thankfully it's all covered under the warranty, or else I would be out a lot of money. 
2011 MCS
 Post Reply Post Reply