Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brake upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vballkid77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake upgrade
    Posted: July/29/15 at 9:37am

Starting to put together a shopping list for my next upgrade adventure.  I don't track or autocross my car enough to justify a full big brake kit for the car, so I was looking for ways to do a midway upgrade to the justa brakes. 

When I looked at Realoem, to me it looks like the calipers are the same part number for the justacooper and MCS, but the MCS rotors and pads appear to be larger, however the carrier has a different part number.  This got me thinking with the newer larger diameter wheels on the car, could I install the same diameter rotor as an MCS, get the different carrier and would it all go together?  I don't think they would use a different end of hose for an MCS vs a justa but you never know, and it seems like that's something that could be accounted for rather easily

My thoughts are to go with a slotted/drilled rotor (no idea on brand yet), upgraded pads (saw a lot of various manufacturers out there) SS brake lines and a better fluid.  It wouldn't be a full BBK but don't think that is necessary in my case, and doesn't justify the expense for me, at least not yet. 

'11 Justacooper Midnight black//JCW Crossbrace//Lowered on Konis/H&R springs//Konig wheels//DDMWorks intake//more on the way...
weescot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weescot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/15 at 2:10pm
Contact Waylen at http://www.waymotorworks.com/ ......... he'll provide free advice and set you up with a package of matched components so that all the parts work together, fit properly and provide the results you're looking for.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/15 at 12:55pm
It depends on what issues you are currently having with brakes and what is causing it. 
Slotted/drilled rotors offer no real performance benefit unless you are going really fast, and even then, drilled rotors are not a great idea. They crack. Slots are Ok.
Probably you'll get most of the benefit you need just by changing pad compound. If you want a firmer pedal, braided stainless lines can help.

I'm not sure but I think all R56 non JCW calipers and pads are identical?

Post Reply Post Reply