Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > How To Do It
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 battery replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 battery replacement
    Posted: October/16/15 at 9:24am

After 13 years, the battery in my Cooper S gave up the ghost.  Luckily, I wasn't stranded anywhere by it, and could replace the battery in my garage.

I'd done a little looking around at MINI forums, looking for info about what sort of unintended consequences there might be from disconnecting the battery.  I'd removed it before, years ago, but still had a look around.

One guy reported that after the change, the radio no longer worked.  Some said that resetting of the windows and locking features might be necessary, while others reported the only issue was resetting the clock.

O'Reilly had a direct replacement in stock, so I removed the old battery and took it with me to the store, both to collect the $18 core refund, and to visually confirm that the replacement was correct.

The factory battery has a single "drain" on the right side, which attaches to a drain hose that goes through the floor of the trunk.  The replacement had drain holes on both sides, and after a bit of discussion, a plug was produced that fit the hole on the left side; I suspect that if you don't plug the extra hole, anything that is supposed to go out the drain tube might just as easily end up running around the bottom of the battery box (reminding me of the completely rusted-out battery boxes in the two Triumphs that I owned years ago).

I used a 10mm socket to loosen the + and - connections and the retaining strap.  A Phillips-type screw-driver was the only other tool required for battery removal.

Total time investment, including the drive to the parts store, was 45 minutes, and the battery, out the door, was $180.  Someone reported on a forum that they'd paid a dealer over $300 to replace their battery, including over $100 for labor, and changing the battery is probably the easiest bit of maintenance that can be performed on the car.

After confirming that the car would start, I buttoned-up everything in the trunk and went back to see what needed resetting.  The clock and trip odo both read 0, but other than that, no issues.  Radio presets were still there, daytime running lights are still on, doors lock automatically as before, etc. 

'02 Cooper S, Alta pulley, Alta CAI, M7 brace, Madness brace, One-ball, D1 Spec Throttle Controller, ExtremeContact DW, Koni FSD, Boot Box, Glove Box Organizer . . .

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/15 at 10:22am
Got mine from Costco.  No big deal to replace.  Make sure while you are in to boot to check for leaks/rust around the battery.  If there has been a leak there it needs to be fixed or very bad things can happen.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/15 at 8:44pm

Rob - Costco no longer carries the MINI replacement batteries - Like Rick I found an exact replacement at O'Riley.  Easy swap - nothing lost in any settings.  (2006 Cooper S).  I understand there is a reset procedure required on the newer MINIs because of a charging setting that changes when the battery gets weak - not sure what that is all about. 

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/15 at 9:26am
When I had to replace mine in my 2006 R53 I picked one up at Shuck's/O'Reily's and had no issues. Just made sure it was adquate cranking amps and size, dropped it in and all was good.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/15 at 6:18pm
No issues with disconnecting/reconnecting battery. You will lose your clock and radio settings. Make sure to get the correct battery with an external vent tube.
freemind View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freemind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/16 at 9:18pm
I am a big fan of AGM batteries myself. The issue that I had was, the dang battery hold down bolt snapped off where it threads in =(
 Post Reply Post Reply