Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catlvr shifting weird

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catlvr shifting weird
    Posted: December/29/15 at 12:45pm
Starting about a month ago Catlvr (2012 S automatic) started feeling like it wasn't shifting like it should. It's hard to explain and it doesn't happen all the time, but it feels like the transmission is slipping and isn't shifting when it should. Took it to dealer and they reported that they were "unable to duplicate the complaint" and there were no codes found, hence the diagnosis that nothing is wrong. But it continues this behavior and last Sunday when I pulled out of the garage I was giving it a ton of gas, and was barely moving. It was almost as though after it warmed up, it was okay though. It's just really strange behavior and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard of anything like this.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/15 at 5:16pm
They usually can't duplicate until there is a serious issue. Zippy also seems as though he won't go anywhere when I accelerate if he hasn't warmed up a bit, so that part may be a cold start issue.
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/15 at 5:46pm
Larry just talked to someone at Seattle MINI and was told I have a bad transmission and it would cost $7,000 to replace it. I would like to use some foul language right now but I won't.
Leanne

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/15 at 7:07pm

Sorry to hear the bad news - any chance for a rebuilt tranny?

How many miles on HC?

Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/15 at 8:25pm
Jack, got about 59,000. We'll see what Seattle MNI can do for us first.
Leanne

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
Pawsome View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/15 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by catlvr2 catlvr2 wrote:

Larry just talked to someone at Seattle MINI and was told I have a bad transmission and it would cost $7,000 to replace it. I would like to use some foul language right now but I won't.

I hope Seattle MINI comes through but that's the main reason I'm not keeping my MINI. In the last 18 months, I've spent around 8K out of pocket to keep the car running. The turbo died about 5 months ago and they had to fly in one from Germany (4K). Last year's big expense was a timing chain replacement @2K. Then there was the usual intake manifold cleaning and expected maintenance. 

I'm getting rid of this car (even though I love it to pieces) before the transmission or the engine go. My mistake was buying the turbo in its first MY (will never do that again). On the other hand, BMW did a piss poor job regarding reliability on the timing chain front (2007-2008 MINIs) and their initial turbo offering was terrible across the range (BMWs and MINIs). 

Post Reply Post Reply