Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R53 screeching noise on cold startup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R53 screeching noise on cold startup
    Posted: February/26/16 at 12:01pm
Hello folks,

I have an '05 R53 Cooper S JCW and I just started noticing a screeching noise upon startup (mostly cold startups, but occasionally on warm startups as well). I'm posting a video here that  demos the sound (I could get one with the hood open if needed) -- https://youtu.be/aQ2P9qZuSlM.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on here? Car drives fine otherwise (except for the smell I mentioned in the other thread that didn't go away despite a visit to Zahntech).

Any help appreciated!

beemboy
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/16 at 3:16pm
I would say probably the belt, if not the belt then the idler pulley or the belt tensioner pulley. But you also mention a smell, which could be a failing crankshaft pulley. 
GregV View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/16 at 10:09am

Was the noise coming from the belt area or was the starter dragging? How old is the belt, is the tensioner applying enough pressure or do you have any sort of leak that is leaking onto the belt? If you have help then have them let the tension off of the serp belt and check the pulleys (obviously not the crank pulley) by giving them a spin to see if they are going out.

Granted I am at work right now and the speakers on this computer suck but it could also be the starter solenoid is not disengaging the gear quickly like it should.

beemboy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/16 at 11:06pm
GregV View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/16 at 5:02am
Oh good. Well, not really good but it is good that there is some agreement. Keep in mind that when that happens it does wear on the teeth of the flywheel. More so on bigger engines. If that happens on many V8's you need to replace it sooner rather then later as it mangles the teeth more and more. No experience with it on a Mini though so I can't say much for how badly it wears on them.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/16 at 8:50am
Could you try roll or push starting it?  That would take the starter out of the mix for that time.

Val

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
 Post Reply Post Reply