Topic ClosedNellie’s bump and bruise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nellie’s bump and bruise
    Posted: April/04/05 at 2:05pm
On Thursday afternoon Nellie experienced her first bump and bruise. While my wife was pulling up to a turn lane, a pickup truck that was across the stop line backed up to wait for the next light. My wife gave them extra space (about 20 feet). When the light changed the truck was still in reverse and accelerated into the bumper of our stopped MINI. She was hit hard enough to give her whiplash. It was witnessed by two sheriffs across the intersection and three other bystanders. One of them was very impressed with how well the MINI held up. There is very little visible damage, but we have to wait for an inspection to determine any hidden damage. After opening the bonnet I checked the clearance from the radiator to the inside of the bumper. On the drivers side the bumper and radiator has a 1/2" clearance. On the passenger side the bumper and radiator is almost flush (maybe 1/16" max). Since the radiator is wider at that point I am unsure what the clearance should be. If anyone can check their 2005 MCS and let me know what they find I would appreciate the information. In the mean time the car is still drivable since no fluids have been leaking.

Dented bumper from the pickup.

Bumper also cracked from the impact.
Matt, Abbie, Parker & Maggie

2005 MCS EB/W - LILBLEU

When a Mini whines, it's a good thing!
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/05 at 11:40am

With all the witnesses, I imagine there is a police report, and you have filed a claim with your insurance company. I wouldn't worry too much, just take it to Northwest Mini and have them order and in stall a new bumper. As long as there is no physical damage to the radiators, nothingelse should be necessary, but I am sure Northwest Mini will do a thorough inspection for other problems, especially if you ask.

It is a bummer though.

Driving in Europe is more fun!
auroramatt View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/05 at 11:53am
We have the police report which indicates the other driver admitted fault. We are currently working through the insurance claim process and are planning to take the car into NW MINI.
Matt, Abbie, Parker & Maggie

2005 MCS EB/W - LILBLEU

When a Mini whines, it's a good thing!
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/05 at 12:06pm
that sucks dude.  I don't want to scare you, but when I rear ended a lady while going 5mph (stop and go traffic) in my old Honda it was 1500 worth of damage to my car.  Needed a new bumper, a new radiator, a new AC compressor, and some other stuff.  Don't know if any of that stuff was injured on your car, but I was shocked to find that my car was so badly damaged after such a slow impact.

on the plus side, insurance took care of it.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
pedlcar View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/05 at 1:05pm

We just happened to be in PO when this happened.  We did not witness the accident, but ended up parking behind the police car behind you.  Felt really bad for you.  We had been admiring your MINI while in the Marina parking lot.  I have a yellow MINI S Cvt on order and should have it about the end of April.  Good luck and maybe we will see you at THE CRUZ in August.

Milo & Monnie, 05 Liquid Yellow/Black Stripes MCS Convertible, License Plates (PEDLCAR)
 Post Reply Post Reply