Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs rotate part of first service?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is rotate part of first service?
    Posted: April/07/05 at 8:42am

Just wondering whether NW MINI will automatically rotate the tires as part of the first service.  I rotated mine myself at 5k, and now at 10k I'll be due for the service soon.  I'll rotate them again myself if NW MINI doesn't normally do it or charges extra.

Thanks.

miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/05 at 3:13pm
From what I have heard, the MINI does not need the tires rotated. But, if they have to take them off to check the brakes or something, just ask them to rotate them. I don't remember what the first service consisted of outside of an oil change and fluids check.
Driving in Europe is more fun!
mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/05 at 10:26pm
You should rotate tires regaurdless of what mini says your fronts will wear faster than your rears. Wayne in particular your right front will wear faster than the other three.(power wheel)he he he
When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
motoring View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/05 at 1:08am
BMW/MINI does not recommend rotating the tires.  The fronts wear significantly faster than the rears and they wear in different ways.

If you want to even up the wear.  Rotate the tires every couple of thousand miles.  This is most important front to back.  side to side may be a problem for some folks since some of the tires are directional.

I rotate my tires every couple of hundred miles, but then I'm a little different since I change tires almost every weekend.
Keith
02 IB/W MC with the really big checkered flag on top - GONE
07 MY/B MCS with some sort of stripes or something
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/05 at 12:49pm
I would suggest rotating the tires.  I can't see any reason not to do it.  You would always want the best tread on the drive tires.
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
ArmyDog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/05 at 7:52pm

Here is the checklist for servicing. You can find it on the Mini Owners Lounge via the MiniUSA web site

MINI Inspection I

Undercarriage
  Change oil and oil filter while engine is at operating temperature.
We recommend MINI Synthetic Motor Oil, p/n 07 51 0 143 829
  Check transmission for leaks.
  Half shafts: Check for leaks at flexible boots.
  Visually check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks.
  Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Examine for leaks.
  Check power steering system for leaks. Check p/s fluid level; add fluid if necessary.
  Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads (outer pads only) using special tool.
If replacement is necessary:
Examine brake disc surfaces. clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel centering hubs.
Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear pads.
  Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage and joint disc.
  Check brake system connections and lines for leaks, damage, and incorrect positioning.
  Check parking brake actuation. Adjust if necessary.
  Check all tire pressures (including spare). Correct if necessary. Check
condition of tires (outer surfaces [left/right]), tread wear and pattern; in
case of uneven tread wear readjust wheel alignment if requested(to be
invoiced separately.)
Note: If requested rotate all four road wheels as instructed and rebalance.
(invoiced separately.)
  Inspect entire body according to terms of rust perforation limited warranty (must be performed at least every two years).
  Engine Compartment
  Read out diagnostic system.
  Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level; add coolant if necessary.
Note: Coolant must be replaced every 4 years (time interval begins from vehicle's production date).
  Check level of brake fluid in reservoir. Add fluid if required.
  Replace brake fluid every 2 years (timing interval begins from vehicle's production date).*
  Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protection. Fill up and/or correct if necessary.
  Check air conditioner operation.
  Replace microfilter.
Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions.
  Reset Service Interval Indicator.
  Body/Electrical Equipment
  Check battery state-of-charge, and charge if required.*
  Check lighting system, i.e., headlights, foglights, parking, back-up, license plate, interior, glove box, illuminated make-up mirrors, luggage area lights.
  Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
  Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
  Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer/flasher switch.
  Check windshield and tailgate wipers and washer systems; wiper blades, washer jet positions.
  Check condition and function of safety belts.
  Check central locking system.
  Check operation of all latches.
  Check heater/air conditioner blower fan, rear window defogger.
  Check rear view mirrors.
  Visually examine the SRS airbag units for torn covers, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations or accessories.
  Final Inspection
  Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission.
  Visually check shock absorbers for leaks.
Kelleners:ECU,pulley,exhaust. Supersprint. Schrick cam. GruppeM CAI. PSS9s. Neez Wheels. M7:USS,RCB,DFIC,STB, Aerogel.Brembo BB. Rear seat delete. Schroth harness. OS Giken clutch. JCW CF Wing.

It'sMike View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/05 at 5:47am

Thanks, ArmyDog!  Since they only do it upon request and "invoice separately" I might as well do it myself.

ArmyDog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/05 at 6:56am

If you go to MiniUSA to the owners lounge it will show you what services you get and the checklist for each service. I will bring this list to Mini Korea when I get my 1st service and ensure they do it all. My aero kit front bumper is loose too and I will have them tighten up the mounting bolts.

I suggest you take the list to NW Mini and ensure they go through the list or give you a copy of the list when they are finished.

Kelleners:ECU,pulley,exhaust. Supersprint. Schrick cam. GruppeM CAI. PSS9s. Neez Wheels. M7:USS,RCB,DFIC,STB, Aerogel.Brembo BB. Rear seat delete. Schroth harness. OS Giken clutch. JCW CF Wing.

Post Reply Post Reply