Topic ClosedFeatures & Benefits Disclosure Statement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Features & Benefits Disclosure Statement
    Posted: May/26/05 at 7:18am

Greetings,

The clock is ticking on the arrival of Zeppo. If all goes well, the car should be ready for pickup sometime during the week of June 13.

Here's my question: I have received the feature and benefits disclosure statement from NW MINI, where there are all sorts of extras you can pile on, ranging from the NW protection program ("but you know you need the truecoat protection", with all deference to the Coen Bros.) to GAP protection.

The entire list is:

EasyCare mechanical service agreement; MINI factory full maintenance program; NW protection program; 3M rock chip protection; Lojack stolen vehicle recovery system; GAP protection; credit life insurance on loan; credit accident and health insurance on loan.

Anyone pick up some or all of the options on the list?

Edited by joelmyer
Joel Myer
Tumwater, WA

Zeppo is an Astro Black/W MINI Cooper. CVT, sport package, sport exhaust, chrome line exterior, fog lights f/b, chrome line interior.
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/05 at 9:55am
Here are the options I would PASS on and why (these are all my personal view, not necessarily anyone else's nor necessarily valid )

Lojack:  the only two ways to steal a MINI are to steal the keys or to tow it away.  The car will not start without the key period.  Either way, that suggests a more seasoned car thief that will likely be stipping the car, or know how to disable a lojack.  Plus a cop car in the area has to be lojack equipped for it to be any good.

Credit life insurance on the loan:  MINI's hold their value very well so if you do manage to die between now and the time your loan would have been paid off, your estate should be able to sell the car if need be to pay off the loan.  Unless you die within a year of purchase, I can't imagine you would be upside-down on the loan, and even if you were, it would have to be more upside-down than the cost of the insurance.  If you really are worried about it, take the money would would be spending on the insurance and put it in a CD.  You will be better off most likely.

Same on the other insurances, but they are less of a scam probably since you could recover and still want to drive the MINI .

I don't know about the rest very much... I got the "extended warranty" that covers me through 60,000 (the second major service) since the cost was less than the second major service.

Edited by RevKibosh
2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
MINI-Rolls View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/05 at 10:23am
I did not and would never get any of those options offered.  I do not feel they are worth the value.
miniwayne View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/05 at 1:27pm

I don't have it and am not sure the difference it makes, but I have rock chips everywhere on my car including the mirrors and the top. Don't know if the 3M rock chip protection would have helped or not. I spoke with someone, forgot his name, who swears by it.

I agree with RevKibosh on the other stuff including the fact that I don't know what half the stuff is.

Driving in Europe is more fun!
joelmyer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/05 at 2:33pm

Greetings,

Thanks for all your input.

The insurance stuff is an easy way for the dealerships to make a couple extra bucks. You get hit up by them, and then again by the financing entity (bank, credit union, whatever).

The only two items I was even remotely considering were the NW protection program for the paint and the extended warranty. I already have a bra ready to slip over the car's bonnet, so the 3M stuff wasn't on my list either.

Edited by joelmyer
Joel Myer
Tumwater, WA

Zeppo is an Astro Black/W MINI Cooper. CVT, sport package, sport exhaust, chrome line exterior, fog lights f/b, chrome line interior.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/05 at 12:54am

My buddies at Olympia Collision Repair and I are looking into ArmorCoat http://armorcoat.armorauto.com/.  This is instead of the film, it is spray-on application and you protect the entire panel.  We ordered a test sample and will be trying it on my KIA since I put 128 miles per day on it.  We think this is a good product and the cost is about the same as the film. Only down side is that it is permanent, have to sand and repaint to get it off.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/05 at 2:01am

I have to chime in on the credit life and disability insurance.  It really depends on your financial situation, especially when coupled with your occupation.  If you have a stash and work on a computer, a broken leg is no problem.  If you are a logger and don't have a stash, a broken leg is a real problem.  Wouldn't want to sell my MINI because I broke my leg if you get the drift.  Sure, there probably is no risk due to the value of the car, but, selling my MINI to make the payments would really suck.

I was in auto lending for many years, and for the more dangerous occupations, almost 100% bought the insurance.  For the safe ones, almost none.  The life insurance is pretty cheap, the disability insurance more pricey.  You generally cant buy the disability without the life.

Don't know anything about the rest of that stuff.

Hope this helps.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
joelmyer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/05 at 3:36am

Thanks Rob,

MR, I'd be interested to hear how your experiment works out with Olympia Collision Repair. That looks like an intriguing product.

Joel Myer
Tumwater, WA

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/05 at 3:48am
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

I have to chime in on the credit life and disability insurance.  It really depends on your financial situation, especially when coupled with your occupation.  If you have a stash and work on a computer, a broken leg is no problem.  If you are a logger and don't have a stash, a broken leg is a real problem.  Wouldn't want to sell my MINI because I broke my leg if you get the drift.  Sure, there probably is no risk due to the value of the car, but, selling my MINI to make the payments would really suck.

I was in auto lending for many years, and for the more dangerous occupations, almost 100% bought the insurance.  For the safe ones, almost none.  The life insurance is pretty cheap, the disability insurance more pricey.  You generally cant buy the disability without the life.

Don't know anything about the rest of that stuff.

Hope this helps.

What happens if a MINI runs over your foot.....

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/05 at 9:19am
That guy still owes me a margarita.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/05 at 12:04pm
You got one at the labor day picnic...Do I still owe you one?
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/05 at 12:28pm

Surely all that agony is worth more that one...... but, then I could buy you one too just to keep things fair.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

Post Reply Post Reply