Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finally got all my mods done (for now)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally got all my mods done (for now)
    Posted: February/04/09 at 10:08am
After my car got the carport dropped on it over Christmas, I decided to spend the money on mods rather than repairing the damage.  I guess it helps that I do body work and can repair it on the cheap at home.  Here is the list of just installed modifications to the car. 

-Alta 4% crank pulley
-Ultrik camshaft
-Alta oil catch can
-Stainless long tube header (deleted the cat)
-M7 Aerogel heatshields
-M7 air diverter
-M7 strut brace
-Alta top mount intercooler V 2.0
-Alta silicone couplers
-Angel eye conversion
-Palo Uber antenna
-Palo Uber carbon fiber scoop
-Moss MINI cowl scoops
-VMAXX coilover suspension
-17"x8" PIAA Eurotech Vintage wheels and Toyo T1R's
-OBX LSD  although I just realized I never installed that yet, ugh anyone know of a good shop that has done an LSD install on a MINI befor?  Not sure I want to attempt that myself.

The car is a lot more fun to drive now, hence my bigger gas bill lately (although the car does need a custom dynotune now).

'03 MCS JCW PPG Rattlesnake/BlackPearl-Way too many mods to list here ;)
Alocatelli View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/09 at 10:31am
Oh yeah and the best mod of all, my navigation system now has the voice of Michael Caine from the original Itallian Job film.  He is pretty good at directionsWink
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/09 at 11:44am
Sounds like you've been a busy boy in the shop! Nice work! Need to get that bad boy out on the track once you get the ECU tuned.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/09 at 2:28pm
What do you think of the Palo Uber Scoop? I'm thinking of adding one sometime down the road as long as it does what it should....
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/09 at 5:00pm
Nice Adam,

Surprized you went with the with a crank pulley vers a blower pulley?
You might want to consider plugs one temp down and going up with you injector size before tunning.

I wonder if we have enough for Jan yet and if he has his tune for the 56 yet?

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 12:46am
That's one way to fix damage.  ;)

I am curious, what's in the background of the last photo, with the flames on it?

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 1:13am
Originally posted by YakiMini YakiMini wrote:

What do you think of the Palo Uber Scoop? I'm thinking of adding one sometime down the road as long as it does what it should....

I love the Palo Uber scoop.  The quality is second to none in my opinion and I love how it looks on the car.  It looks like it should be directing lots of cool air through the new inter cooler.  At the moment I have no way to record ambient intake temp and after inter cooler IAT's but I can't see how it is not flowing more air.  My problem now is getting that air back out of the bonnet.  With the M7 heat shields my engine is essentially blocked off from the underside so I know I have stagnant air just sitting under there.  Need to get that exit scoop on there ;)
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 1:25am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Nice Adam,

Surprized you went with the with a crank pulley vers a blower pulley?
You might want to consider plugs one temp down and going up with you injector size before tunning.

I wonder if we have enough for Jan yet and if he has his tune for the 56 yet?

John

Since I have the updated JCW package, I already have a supercharger pulley (seems to be around 14%), different injectors, and I already upgraded my plugs when I bought the whole tune kit (upgraded wires, coil, plugs, etc).  I was at 15 lbs of boost before but now since I opened up the exhaust so much even with the 4% on there I am only peaking at about 17 lbs.  So I may be swapping the JCW pulley for a 17% or so, we will see.  I am also thinking even bigger injectors may be needed, but not sure which size as I will be adding a 50hp shot of nitrous oxide, ported intake, bigger throttle body, and a fully ported big valve head.  The JCW head just doesn't flow enough with just the CNC exhaust ports done.
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 1:39am
Originally posted by phydeaux phydeaux wrote:

That's one way to fix damage.  ;)

I am curious, what's in the background of the last photo, with the flames on it?

That is my '53 Oldsmobile Super 88 Custom.  I use it to pull my '50 teardrop trailer around.  I was going to get a hitch for the MINI because I thought it would be cool to have the miniature trailer behind the miniature car but now since I lowered it the hitch would be way too low.  Its easy with the hotrod because it has airbags and I can just raise it up to the trailer heightWink
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 1:45am
 Thumbs%20Up  

Edited by hip check - February/05/09 at 1:45am
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 1:51am
That '53 Olds is a sweet looking ride.

I've got an Alta 3% crank pulley that I have been considering putting in place.  That, with the 15% SC pulley, should make for interesting times.  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 3:22am
Just a reminder , your water pump is driven off the back side of the blower. At 19% we will call this a collective % since some get to it using different methods at upper end RPM's you will overdrive your water pump. If you don't drive in the upper end  it is not really that big of a problem. Just my 2 cents, a lot of people do a lot of different things.
http:///webbmotorsports.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31

You might consider Meth vers NOS

Also JC pull is 10.98% or just call it 11%

John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 3:38am
Eric head over to his MySpace.
http://www.myspace.com/alocatelli

He has a lot of great pictures there, with all of the cars he has had and still has.

John

PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 3:51am

Just a reminder , your water pump is driven off the back side of the blower. At 19% we will call this a collective % since some get to it using different methods at upper end RPM's you will overdrive your water pump. If you don't drive in the upper end  it is not really that big of a problem. Just my 2 cents, a lot of people do a lot of different things.
http:///webbmotorsports.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31

You might consider Meth vers NOS

Also JC pull is 10.98% or just call it 11%

John

Yeah I always hear several different ratios that the JCW pulley is, but I think I will trust you on the 11% since I have heard that before.  I did want to get to the 19% thresh hold so I guess a supercharger pulley will be in the works next.  I have also heard about the water pump being overdriven at high RPM's, figured I would try and stay out of it except for short bursts.  Of course this will be a possible issue if I open track the car (which I would love to do).  I guess I have some work to do to figure this all out.  Also, I was already planning on running meth injection on it as well, looking for every bit I can squeeze out of herDrool
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 4:08am
No your right the 19% comes to play when tracking the car.

They 11% was picked by the engineers because it stays with in the 17200rpm limit for the Eaton M45. Which runs 17169rpm with the JCW pulley.

Have you had a chance to check into what RMW is doing with these engines?

John

You will like this link
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/interior-exterior/116653-wide-fender-flares-7.html#post2655537

OH and here
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-products/156143-rmw-solution-to-high-inlet-temps.html

Edited by johnf36 - February/05/09 at 4:17am

PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 8:20am
Thanks John, I can always count on you to send me some good informative linksWink.  Looks like the new meth kit will be the way for me to go, and I have to admit I think I am going to have to do something with my fender flares as well since I am having rubbing issues and my inner tire edge is against my coilovers.  Lots of work yet to do!
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/09 at 9:15am
Will 5mil spacers work
What is the offset on those PIAA rims
I did not see camber plates did your coilovers come with them?
John

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/09 at 6:43pm
Looks like the offset is ET40

Stock 17" rims run ET48

Your VMAXX Coilovers have small springs and the drop is 40 -70 mm, with camber plates and a 5 mm spacer you should have all kinds of room. I would start with camber plates and an alignment and see where your at Thumbs%20Up .

How is the road noise with the Toyos?

John

Edited by johnf36 - February/06/09 at 6:43pm

PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/09 at 5:05am

Looks like the offset is ET40

Stock 17" rims run ET48

Your VMAXX Coilovers have small springs and the drop is 40 -70 mm, with camber plates and a 5 mm spacer you should have all kinds of room. I would start with camber plates and an alignment and see where your at Thumbs%20Up .

How is the road noise with the Toyos?

John

Hmmm not sure why I have so little clearance, perhaps it is the lack of camber plates.  I know I do need them for the front and on the rear I want adjustable lower arms.  Right now I have a ton of negative camber in the rear.  When I get the plates and arms I will get an alignment done.  Right now I seem to have more understear than I had before so I know I have some tweaking to do.  As for the toyos, they seem really quiet to me.  Although my exhaust is so loud now that I am sure it would drown out any road noise I am experiencingWink
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/09 at 5:57am
Yes thats that OBX header and that Volt exhaust. Since it is basically a Magnaflow copy and Magnaflow being one of the loudest I bet it is loud. Hope you don't have to bad of a droning problem.

As far as the understeer we have guys here that know how to get things straghten out for you. I am sure since you said understeering problem we can get get some help from the track Guys Thumbs%20Up  I believe Martin is running H&R RSS's and that slamed him real good.

Here are a couple of new listings over at NAM at not a bad price

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/marketplace/showproduct.php/product/3503/cat/22

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/marketplace/showproduct.php/product/3502/cat/22

Post Reply Post Reply