Forum Home Forum Home > Autocross and Racing > Autocross Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well crap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well crap
    Posted: February/08/09 at 11:03am
Not a great start to the year. The first event was today.

I think if I would have braked a little harder, then backed up, I wouldn't have been DQ'd. I pulled through to get back on the track.

Other than that, at least it was cold!

Edited by garumph - February/08/09 at 11:04am
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/09 at 12:35pm
Bummer, Gordon.  That sucks.

Least you know that there is lots of room for improvement.  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/09 at 12:54pm
No sweat Gordon. Chalk it up as learning experience and you'll figure it out next time. Sounds like you had a good time anyway!
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
motoring View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/09 at 1:20pm
You missed a gate before the hard left turn...  If you made the gate, you would not have has as much speed going across the cross over, and probably not spun. 
Keith
02 IB/W MC with the really big checkered flag on top - GONE
07 MY/B MCS with some sort of stripes or something
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/09 at 1:37pm
yea, I saw that. I thought I had a great line on the gate, then I saw the video. Doh!

I also need to tweek my air pressure, I got rid of my understeer, now I need to dial back the oversteer a little.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
motoring View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/09 at 1:50pm
The run looked very "in control" for the majority of the run.  that corner is always a little hairy, I'm always ready for the back end to step out and prepared to catch it with a quick countersteer.

Most of my runs were an exercise in keeping the back end behind me.
Keith
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/09 at 2:20pm
Yes, a little less speed would have done it. The cold tires didn't help. I should have been more careful, I was skittering around the first part of the course. Plus I drove myself into the DQ. I'm sure the back end was still on the pavement when I let off the brake. If I would have stopped and not tried to get going again so quickly I would have red flagged the course and still have been alive to drive the rest of the day.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/09 at 6:54pm
That sucks Gordon, that is 2 times now just bad luck or do we need to look at the whole picture on set up?

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/09 at 12:29am
I need to look at the setup. I have the back end a little too lively for my skill level. I need to tighten it up and get back to more understeer instead of the oversteer. I don't want to do anything too radical because I am mostly happy with the setup.

Mostly I just need to get off a bit and drive more in control, instead of pushing it right to the edge every time.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
motoring View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/09 at 12:43am
It may be as simple as pulling your brake points back just a bit, doing more of your braking in a straight line.
Keith
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/09 at 1:11am
more braking period. Both of the last spins were on long turns where by the time I realized I was too hot, it was way too late. I should have tried diving through both. I'm not a good enough driver yet to catch it before it gets really out of control.
Gordon
Flames, '05 MC Black
 Post Reply Post Reply