Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tire size question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormhyacinth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tire size question
    Posted: May/01/09 at 10:34am
my MCS front is 205/45R17    . I have 2 brand new tires in my garage  with 225/45R17 will it be ok to use on my MCS? differrent is 205 n 225
ED

YakiMini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YakiMini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/09 at 1:47pm
the 225 is going to be larger rotation wise.... how much I don't know
MINI-less... If God allows, I will have one again some day. :D
scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/09 at 10:58pm
Unless you're running 9"-wide rims with 20mm spacers (Wacko), those will fit just fine and help fill in the unsightly gap. When you start talking 235, then you may or may not have issues.

Speedo-wise, you're looking at -2.9%. So, when the speedometer says 60 mph you are actually doing 61.8 mph.
Habanero View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Habanero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/09 at 10:20am
Scoop, that's really interesting! 

Habanero, like many MINI's, goes exactly 2 MPH slower than it's actual speedometer reading.  (That's of course unless ALL the speed monitors in Bellevue are off by 2 MPH.)  Having had several loaners from NW MINI (that's another story), they've all shown the same speed error.

Anybody else have the same experience??
Mike & Ruth

'07 MCS, CR/B, NO sun roof, DSC, LSD, Premium, Leather, English Oak, chrome line interior, blingy thingies
scoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/09 at 1:11pm
Yep. It's a MINI thing (and an answer to a trivia question on the Winged Victory rally). Off to find out why since I never did know why ...
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/09 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by stormhyacinth stormhyacinth wrote:

my MCS front is 205/45R17    . I have 2 brand new tires in my garage  with 225/45R17 will it be ok to use on my MCS? differrent is 205 n 225

Make sure you use all 4 tires of the same size.  Your DSC will have fits otherwise!
One good turn deserves another...and another...

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/09 at 5:11pm
+1 for Kens answer.

and +1 Scoop for good info on fit and speed.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phydeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/09 at 12:09am
Originally posted by scoop scoop wrote:

Yep. It's a MINI thing (and an answer to a trivia question on the Winged Victory rally). Off to find out why since I never did know why ...

It's because BMW doesn't want there to EVER be a question of whether you were going over the speed limit because of a low reading on the speedo.  At least, that's the story that I have heard.  It's not my story, but I'll stick to it until told otherwise.  Then, like many politicians, I'll flip-flop with the best of them.  ;)

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 12:06am
So, if I understand this thread correctly and my Mini came with 195x55x16's would 205x55x16's put the speedo back to real speed?

I presently am running some General Altimax HP 205x50x16's and there is a noticeable higher reading on the speedo than actual speed.  Nice tires otherwise and they do put some zip into around town driving since the gear ratio is lower.

Stephen
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 2:01am
I don't think that is enough change in circumferance to make the difference up. I think if you go to tirerack.com they have a matrix showing speedo impact of different tires.
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 3:06am
Wildfamily:

The Miata site has the best tire/speed comparison that I have found and the 205x55x16's are 1.73 % difference.  I guess the GPS method is the best way to figure it out.

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 5:25am

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 6:59am
John:

Thanks for the interesting info, but it takes you right back to the Miata calculator once you start exploring the sights for speedo calcs.  Back to the GPS since the Mini apparently does not have a published error that they program into the computer.  I have used my GPS for other things but it appears that this unit will be something that should be mounted at all times since the factory speedo is not accurate.

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:08am
Okay so are you wanting to know how much it is off, that is 2 mph. Based on a 24 inch wheel

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:10am
John:

Thanks, that helps!

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:19am
When I installed my 215-45-17s it came real close to correcting the 2 mph speedo error. the correction was 1.5. Bruce had a real cool tire computer I will see if I can find it.

Edited by johnf36 - July/30/09 at 4:44pm

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:09pm
John:

Another related question; Mini's come with many different wheel and tire packages and Horsepower options but do they all have the same speedometer?  Are they calibrated from the factory for the wheel and tire package as it rolls off the assembly line?

Stephen

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/09 at 10:11pm
John:

I should have said, are they calibrated DIFFERENTLY for the different wheel and tire packages?

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 2:41am
It is my understanding that the calibration in done in the computer not the gauge.

John

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 4:11am
John:

That appears to be correct, which makes me think it could be programmed.  I knew it was not a gauge issue.   The factory might have two ECU's or two separate programs for one ECU for the Cooper S and the Cooper, but I suspect one ECU and various programs for the different options.   This takes me back to the question, is the factory putting out different programs for the speedo for all the various tire and wheel combination's that are offered?  Or is it one size fits all mentality?

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 4:26am
I would have to look it up but it seems to me that there are 5 computers in the car and the one I think we are talking about controls all the interior functions.

There are some things you can change through the speedo display. I have not seen yet where you can adjust the speed. You can do it with the mileages calculator.About half way down on this page you can find the stuff on the display.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_interior#faq_diy_obc_functions

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 5:02am

CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 6:44am
Try this calculator on for size.

Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 10:06am
Thanks CT that's what I was looking for thanks

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 11:33am
John:

The NAM link I had seen and deemed it not something worth pursuing without since without being to easily get back to square 1, the default, I could screw something up royally!  The GPS has my vote so far.  The tire size calcs on all the web sites helps; thanks John & CT.

Stephen

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/09 at 12:14pm
I know with doing the math from the Mini2 page and useing the calculator that CT posted I picked up the 1.4% . I k ow this because before I changed my tire size I clocked my car through a measured mile and cross check with GPS and 2 other cars Speedos. They all came out the same showing my mini 2 mph slow. Now that the new tires are on I ran the car through all the same things and it matches the math

Post Reply Post Reply