FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThrottle Body

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle Body
    Posted: August/31/05 at 1:16pm

As some of you know. I installed an M7 throttle body about a month ago. The first one caused the car to have a lot of flat spots all thru the RPM range and throw codes. The second was better but still had a flat spot(like applying the brakes) around 3200 rpms in any gear and the YO YO(uneven or jerky throttle). I was told that with a larger throttle body that was the nature of the beast. I was thinking it was a software issue. But after getting to drive Sheri's Austin(2002 MCS with Dinan stage  5 package) I was convinced it is the throttle body. So I installed a Dinan throttle body tonight.

The car is back to it's smooth yet still quick preformance. I would like to thank Terry at NW Mini for working with me to solve the problem. Just wanted to let anyone thinking about a throttle body know that the bigger the bore the more chance for irratic preformance.

Mike

PS: I personally think the Dinan S 5 package gives you the most HP for the dollars(even though I still think it is over priced)

Edited by mikesminirox
When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/05 at 1:54pm

Good choice Mike -

I've got a Dinan throttle body on mine too.

minimayhem View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/05 at 1:35am
 I think you did the right thing, Mike , and as for cost  having JCW on my car and the DINAN on Sheri's, we saw the results at Bremerton as to which is the most cost effective.
05/HBM/MCSC/JCW with LTZMOTR plates
02/LY/MCS/S5DINAN with MZBHAVN plates
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/05 at 1:25am
Originally posted by mikesminirox mikesminirox wrote:

As some of you know. I installed an M7 throttle body about a month ago. The first one caused the car to have a lot of flat spots all thru the RPM range and throw codes. The second was better but still had a flat spot(like applying the brakes) around 3200 rpms in any gear and the YO YO(uneven or jerky throttle). I was told that with a larger throttle body that was the nature of the beast. I was thinking it was a software issue. But after getting to drive Sheri's Austin(2002 MCS with Dinan stage  5 package) I was convinced it is the throttle body. So I installed a Dinan throttle body tonight.

The car is back to it's smooth yet still quick preformance. I would like to thank Terry at NW Mini for working with me to solve the problem. Just wanted to let anyone thinking about a throttle body know that the bigger the bore the more chance for irratic preformance.

Mike

PS: I personally think the Dinan S 5 package gives you the most HP for the dollars(even though I still think it is over priced)

A bonus has been fuel milage has gone from 30mpg to 39mpg hwy and 24mpg to 33mpg city a little less when I,m driving according to the OBC. I have to say I am very pleased with the preformance of the dinan products. I was worried about lean conditions with the milage change went auto-xing on the 5th and had no codes or problems. 

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/05 at 2:13am
What's the approximate cost of the new throttle body?  At today's gas prices, that's a HUGE difference in MPG.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/05 at 3:29am

Careful on the mpg - When I installed my Dinan my mpg went down somewhat.  My guess is that Mike was getting particularly poor mpg with the other non-stock throttle body.  Mike - am I right?

My current mpg with full JCW (upgraded with new air intake) and the Dinan throttle body is approximately 34 hwy and 28 around town

mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/05 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Dave Dave wrote:

Careful on the mpg - When I installed my Dinan my mpg went down somewhat.  My guess is that Mike was getting particularly poor mpg with the other non-stock throttle body.  Mike - am I right?

My current mpg with full JCW (upgraded with new air intake) and the Dinan throttle body is approximately 34 hwy and 28 around town

Yes the milage went down with the other throttle body with the flat spot and the bigger injectors I think it was drowning. I think the dinan and the injectors maybe not be intended as a combination, but just work well together. I have been keeping an eye on temp and lean conditions to date no problems. Will keep you informed

Mike

Edited by mikesminirox
When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/05 at 11:12am

I want to make it clear. I am one who If you say I can't do it, then I must. I was told the rear mud flaps would noy fit the S. Minirox has rear mudflaps. I was told the WORKS was the only way to achieve 200+ HP. So I went a different way. I believe I have done what I set out to do with some trial and error. For 1000.00 dollars I feel I have the hp of the WORKS. I have done all the install myself. So add another 1000.00 for install. Still 2000.00 compared to the Works price is a great deal. I plan to dyno in the near future just to confirm. I have confirmed at the track that Minirox can hold her own against the JCW and Dinan. That's my story and I'm sticking to It. :)

Mike

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/05 at 11:26am

I want to make it clear. I am one who If you say I can't do it, then I must. I was told the rear mud flaps would noy fit the S. Minirox has rear mudflaps. I was told the WORKS was the only way to achieve 200+ HP. So I went a different way. I believe I have done what I set out to do with some trial and error. For 1000.00 dollars I feel I have the hp of the WORKS. I have done all the install myself. So add another 1000.00 for install. Still 2000.00 compared to the Works price is a great deal. I plan to dyno in the near future just to confirm. I have confirmed at the track that Minirox can hold her own against the JCW and Dinan. That's my story and I'm sticking to It. :)

Mike

No question

Rob Betts View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/05 at 2:35pm
Hi Mike,

Who makes the M7 throttle body?

And how quick did you go at Bremerton?

Rob

Edited by Rob Betts
2003 MCS, Electric Blue/Electric Blue,
Mini Mania 200HP kit.
(Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, 15% pully, Jan tune)
Drilled Rotors, EBC pads, painted calipers
AND 2015 JCW Countryman - Black
RevKibosh View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/05 at 10:25pm
M7 makes the M7 throttle body (it is a bored out stock body, but I think most of them are).

http://www.m7tuning.com

2004 BRG MCS - Gone

--Grant and Kylee
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/05 at 5:48am

Originally posted by Rob Betts Rob Betts wrote:

Hi Mike,

Who makes the M7 throttle body?

And how quick did you go at Bremerton?

Rob

Rob

Please read my post at the top of the page. I had issues with the M7 TB. I was told the flat spot was the nature of the beast. I could not stand it. So I returned. Also was not impressed with the QC

As far as the drags. Sharkreef did a 15.249, I a 15.342 and Bert 15.399. Here's the rest http://www.psmini.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=544&PN=1 &get=last#4522

Mike

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
Rob Betts View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/05 at 1:51pm
Is the Dinan a 62mm bore?

The M7 is, as is the one offered at MINI Mania. 
Do they all bore out the stock 58mm throttle bodies? 
If so, there shouldn't be that much difference. Unless any of them are working on the internals as well.  The M7 offers the "velocity stack" effect, but I don't think it adds to the function too much.  The Dinan works for you so there must be some internal tweaking going on as well.

Rob
2003 MCS, Electric Blue/Electric Blue,
Mini Mania 200HP kit.
(Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, 15% pully, Jan tune)
Drilled Rotors, EBC pads, painted calipers
AND 2015 JCW Countryman - Black
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/05 at 10:56pm

The Dinan is a 59.75 Dinan says stock is 56mm others say 58mm, Yes they all bore stock usually the ones that have been returned for core. Dinan does not require a core, they bore new TB so the plus to dinan is you keep your stock TB and between the two Dinan was cleaner looking. All I know is the Dinan works and the M7 worked but had side effects that I did not like(flatspot) My drag times were with the M7, as long as you are on it. It ran great. I hope to get one more drag in before the season is over with the Dinan. :)

As they say about the Dinan all the HP with none of the side effects.

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/05 at 1:43am

Hmm - they didn't give me my throttle body back - claimed there was a core charge :-(

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/05 at 2:00am

Hmm - they didn't give me my throttle body back - claimed there was a core charge :-(

Sorry Dave

Let me clarify. Just recently they have changed, to many problems with the used TBs. Just this month they do not require cores anymore. They have gone to new less chance for problems.

Mike

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/05 at 4:45am
Interesting - thanks Mike - do you know what sort of problems they were experiencing?
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/05 at 5:43am

Interesting - thanks Mike - do you know what sort of problems they were experiencing?

From what I understand it was a combination of slow core returns and some just hammered throttle bodys,people not taking care after removal. Drop kicking across the garage floor ect.

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/05 at 9:43am

&nbs p;    Mike

Hello gang, just an update...M7 understands the performance problems associated with the bigger is better BS and has gone back to the 59mm TB with a bevel cut on each side to increase performance. On behalf of M7 and anyother performance maker out there, I sincerly appologies for the mishaps with newer ideas. I think Peter from M7 has this handled now and just another tidbit I do have the new TB's in use in a couple of my customers cars and they love them!! Currently I want to offer them to you guys for $289.99 + Tax!!! There is a $100 refundable core charge upon returning the core. I feel bad for those of us who get a product that doesn't work right, because it is like giving a kid a lolly pop and taking it away after one lick

Let me know if you all have any questions!
 Post Reply Post Reply