Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need new tires,can I adjust the size a little

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need new tires,can I adjust the size a little
    Posted: September/22/09 at 2:34pm
need some advice. I have a 2009 mini hardtop with 175/65 r15 tires (Continental). Not happy with them. I've had Michelin in the past on our cars and I'd like to get some for my mini but size is an issue. Has anyone used an alternate size for the 15 rim. If I could go to 185/60 or 185/65 I'd have alot of options.
Thanks,
Wende
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/09 at 3:44pm
Hi bigdig (Wende),

Welcome! I see this is your first post?  Tongue

I'm not too much of an expert on tire size/wheel sizing, but I think you might want to introduce yourself in the "Let Me Introduce Myself" thread and you may get some feedback.  Here's a link to that...  Start a "New Topic" here:  http://www.psmini.org/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=34

I'm sure someone will get with you very soon on your question, so hold tight.

Cheers,
Brenda Smile

P.S.  Can you tell us a little bit more about your MINI?  Color, options, accessories, etc?  How did you happen to find us?  I was curious if you know someone in the club?
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/09 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by bigdig bigdig wrote:

need some advice. I have a 2009 mini hardtop with 175/65 r15 tires (Continental). Not happy with them. I've had Michelin in the past on our cars and I'd like to get some for my mini but size is an issue. Has anyone used an alternate size for the 15 rim. If I could go to 185/60 or 185/65 I'd have alot of options.
Thanks,
Wende

Here is a great place to start. http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_wheels_tyres#faq_faq_factory_wheels

What are you looking for? handling? width? dia?

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/09 at 11:26am
If your car still has the factory tires on it, I'm guessing that they are the Continental TouringContact, which is the OEM tire- they are pretty junky and in fact do wear out rather quickly. I have a pair of Continental ProContact, which is about the only aftermarket tire in that size, save for another brand that was not recommended for use below 32 degrees.

That said, I really like my ProContact tires (available at Discount Tire)- they are much quieter and grippier than the TouringContact tires the car came with (I got my car with 54K on it, so they might not have been the OEM tires). They too are showing early signs of wear and probably won't last more than 20- 25 K, but they are relatively inexpensive and grip well. You can get a bigger tire, but I think they make the car look funny compared to the 175-65 size.

Val

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/09 at 11:45am

Several options available from Tire Rack.

Welcome to the club, by the way!
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/09 at 8:22pm
You'll notice that many of those are summer tires or ice and snow tires.  The Dunlop all-season's are new since last time I looked for this size.  The same tire seems to be listed twice and I noticed that they are backordered.  The Smart car seems to run two different sizes front to back, and 175-65 R15 are one of the sizes, so maybe that accounts for the additional tires available in this size.

I remembered driving in today that another advantage of the 175-65 size is the ability to use cable type chains (at least on the first generation MINI's).  I'm in at 3:30 am on weekday mornings and work in TV news so there is no missing work when it snows.  With chains on the MINI last year I didn't miss a day of work and in fact picked up some of my co-workers on my way in a couple of days.  I had no trouble getting around while Diamond Joe Nickels didn't run the snowplows in my hood.  The only problem I had was when a snowplow left an unexpected ridge across a side street- by that time I had taken the chains off and they probably wouldn't have helped me anyway as I got high centered.

Something to consider if the MINI is your only car.

Val

Post Reply Post Reply