Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My quest for better aero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My quest for better aero
    Posted: February/13/10 at 5:32pm
Ever since I got my MINI I have been obsessed trying to think of ways to clean up the aerodynamics on the car and make it more stable and really high speeds.  This is my first of many aero mods I hope to try on the car.  At high speed I know air can get trapped in the front wheel wells and then has no place to easily go to escape.  I added big extracter vents into the front fenders and modified the inner wheel well to mate up with them.  Now all the air can get sucked out cleanly along the side of the car (in theory).  While I was at the metal work I decided to shave the factory side scuttles as well.  I'm really happy with the result.  I still have final moulding and sanding to do but they are on the car and functional.  I had to eliminate the washer bottles, but hey less weight! 

Here is before I made the first cut...

This shows the inner part of the fender scoop......

And here is a couple final shots, as you can see I finished in the dark ;)

When I finish them off I am going to have some type of grill in them to stop rocks from flying through the vents.  Next on the list is:

Front splitter
Vented bonnet
Deflectors for air around front wheels
GP style wing
Diffuser tunnels
VG's on the roof at the separation line
Smooth gas cap
Possible shaved door handles
Full belly pan (may use bottom panels off a GP to start with then fill in the rest.

'03 MCS JCW PPG Rattlesnake/BlackPearl-Way too many mods to list here ;)
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/10 at 6:57pm
I like it Adam.

I can send you a front air damn which creates a suction around about 80.

The folding mirrors help to.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Alocatelli View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/10 at 2:32am
Thats what I'm looking for a good air splitter, which brand were you referring to?  I also want to add the power fold mirrors, been thinking about those for a while Wink
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/10 at 4:27am
I am not running a splitter, I have a air dam on the front with side skirts.

Did you do the hood yet?

And did you get you engine issues resolved?

John

PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/10 at 7:31am
Oh OK I misread that then.  I'm curious what your air dam looks like then, I'm guessing it sits pretty low under the front?  My car is so low I think an air dam may get ripped right off on the first bump.  Would love to see how you did yours.  I haven't started on the hood yet, still need to think up a design.  I also have a pretty big dent in the bonnet to fix caused by my Alta intercooler hitting it hard when I broke my bottom motor mount on a hard 2-3 shift and my whole engine torqued up.  I need to be able to vent the back of the intercooler out as well, so I'm thinking of a design similar to the factory hood that was on my '03 Terminator Cobra.  It has two functional heat extractor vents in the top, harder to do on a curved bonnet like the MINIs.  I still have not figured out my engine issues, I still have very bad vacuum at idle (about 10) and have gone completely over everything.  The only thing I can think now is that when I sucked a wire into my throttle body maybe it bent the throttle plate or something.  Not sure and I'm still only getting 25mpg, although not bad considering how fast the car is but I know it can do better.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/10 at 3:33pm
Adam if you want a splitter , why not get a sheet of CF and cut out your own. You should be able to get small turnbuckles at a marine supply.

John

PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 1:51am
I had thought of this route, but I have no idea where I get a sheet of carbon fiber.  Would be nice to have to make my rear seat delete.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 2:06am
I would think it would be easy to find on the west side.

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 2:51am
Wow Adam!  You never cease to amaze me by your unique talents.  I wish I could be as innovative as you and John.  BowDown
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 4:35am
Adam are going to use heavy screen in the tire pocket ?

Adam do you have a luover press?http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134701

Edited by johnf36 - February/15/10 at 4:41am

PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alocatelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/10 at 9:04am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Adam are going to use heavy screen in the tire pocket ?

Adam do you have a luover press?http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134701
I already have some screen for the backs of the vents.  When I finally pull the fenders off for final prep and welding I'm going to attatch it.  Was also considering just having the screen be part of the wheel well, either way it would do the trick of stopping rocks, etc from shooting through.  I wish I had a louver press, although it looks like with a little thinking I could make one on the cheap like that guy did, not sure I have that skill though.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/10 at 2:33pm
So what about the M7 air handling techniques?  There is another company working on rear diffusers and had a write up in MC2's last issue.

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/10 at 2:44pm
What no body shows is the gp underpan

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/11 at 6:58am
Wow, that's impressive. Thumbs Up
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
 Post Reply Post Reply