Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yokahama S.Drive (S = "Sloppy"???)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zephyrgtw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yokahama S.Drive (S = "Sloppy"???)
    Posted: May/06/10 at 3:49pm
So - I finally changed out my Run-Flats - greatly anticipating the 'improved ride' promised with summer tires. I had selected the S.Drives based on some reviews I had read along with the specific recommendation from the Discount Tire rep.The only problem is - I hate them!

Yes - they were more quiet and less harsh; but the on-center feel is mush; and what is worse - there is a PRONOUNCED delay on turn-in (at least to my butt-dyno). Not to mention the cornering grip was not what I had hoped for (granted - these are not 'broken in'). Has anyone else experienced this?

I guess I have discovered that I value the razor-sharp steering feel I had with the Dunlop Run-Flats over harshness of ride....

I must say - I am grateful I went through Discount Tire locally (in Redmond) - as they are making good on their '30 day ride guarantee'. They are going to swap out my tires at no charge (except the difference in tire cost).

At this point I now have Dunlop Direza Sport Z1 Star Spec's on order. My latest reading indicates these have great performance at the expense of noise & tread-wear (two things I am willing to sacrifice for turn-in). They are not on yet ... I still have a day or so before they come in ... so I am looking for any input. I don't really want to go back to the run-flats due both to weight and ultimate performance (I am expecting there is a tire out there that has equivalent turn-in feel and better grip.

If performance is my rating criteria: turn-in, dry grip, braking, wet grip (in order) - what suggetions are out there?

Thanks
Black on Black JCW Clubman; Conv/Prem/Cold Pkgs; Xenon; Sport Stripes & Black-Jack Sun Roof; H-Sport RSB; H-Sport Adj. Control Arms; Alta End-Links; Forge IC; NM Eng. CAI; NM Eng. Springs
searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/10 at 5:29pm
You can't go wrong with Star Specs. They make for a good track tire and the price is pretty reasonable in the summer tire category. I do notice they tend to tramline a bit on the freeway but it's a small tradeoff for the great performance.
Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply