Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towing with the MINI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seatactom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing with the MINI
    Posted: June/09/10 at 12:24pm
I'm looking for some straight skinny about towing with a MINI.  Mine is a 2010 S, if that figures into the equation.

I've recently discovered the "Tear Drop Trailers" and am thinking this would be a cool thing to have when making those extended road trips.

In making inquires to the Dealer they tend to talk about how pulling 500-1000 lbs will put stress on the transmission and rear end....but when looking at the owners guide (and data plate on the car) it shows a GVW of 3800 pounds and the actual weight being about 2800 pounds....suggesting to me that I can carry....or in this case TOW...up to 1,000 pounds.  Am not suggesting the dealer is steering me wrong I just figure people here are going to have real, practical experience at it.

Thanks!
2010 MSCS R57 Silver with Convienence, Cold weather, Premium, Sport packages, NAV and Sat radio
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/10 at 1:27am
Looks like to me they are confusing tongue weight with GVW.  But I must say pulling any thing with any vehicle can increase the wear to some degree. Yes you are right there are people here towing things heavier then a small tear drop.

Here is some fun http://www.psmini.org/forum/teardrop-trailer_topic5783_post66154.html?KW=trailers#66154

Edited by johnf36 - June/10/10 at 1:39am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/10 at 7:40am

I'm putting our trailer for the People Eater on the market. PM me if your interested and I can send you pics. It's perfect for a MINI (not a sleeper like a teardrop but a trailer for extra capacity..size of a motorcycle trailer).

'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
 Post Reply Post Reply