Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Warranty Issues and Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Debating the extended maintinenece program.  Help?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Debating the extended maintinenece program. Help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msh441 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debating the extended maintinenece program. Help?
    Posted: February/06/11 at 9:59pm
Greetings,

I'm debating the MINI extended MAINTENANCE program.

I allready have the 10 year/100,000 mile WARRANTY given to me after some initial issues with my 2007 R56 JCW.  Since those issues, it's been a truble-free car, by the way.

I was quoted right around $2100 from NW MINI and I have until April to decide.  From what I've been told already, should I decide to do it, I can & will call around to get the best price (as I hear it can vary).

Just trying to find out what other peoples experiences have been with the extended service.  From the sound of it, it covers oil changes, brakes, tune ups and possibly the clutch (should it go out in the next few years).

Not sure if it's worth it, since I'm very comfortable with the fact that I can do the oil changes and brake jobs for a fraction of the price.  Plugs, filters and fluids don't look like that big of a deal, either.  I guess the big ticket item that jumps out at me is the clutch (and on NAM, sounds like there's some debate whether the clutch would really be covered under the warranty or maintinence programs).

So if you have it, what have been your experiences with the extended maintinence?  What services have you done from years 3-6?  Total costs of maintinence?

I'm really not sure what to do.  A little guidence would be appreciated.

2007 DS/W R56S JCW - "Prince William"
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/11 at 10:32pm
If you are not handy around cars, it might be a good thing to do. I didn't get one for my MINI and my power steering pump died 2 months later. I replaced it myself so I think I'm doing OK.

That said, the R56 is a more reliable car than the R53.

Probably the biggest predictable thing is the clutch, which seems unlikely to go bad before 100,000 miles.

firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/11 at 10:36pm
I think you're better off not getting it.

The most expensive repair you're ever likely to encounter is the clutch and IMO should cost you less than $2k for all new parts installed.

If it helps, my car has 190k+ miles on the original clutch.

Edited by firehawk618 - April/08/11 at 10:36pm
*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/11 at 7:43am
Most financial guru's will say skip the extended maintenance.  Rather, amortize the cost over 12 to 18 months into a savings account.  Easier to swing, and if you keep it up long enough, you are WAY better off that if you bought the policy.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Crikket View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crikket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/11 at 10:27am
We had to make the same decision last summer.  After carefully reviewing what the extended maintenance covered (and, more importantly, what it does not include) we opted to save our money.  Frankly, we have more frequent services that allowed by the extended maintenance program so it clearly was not worth the cost.  As with your Mini, ours came with an extended 100K Mini Next warranty to cover the unexpected breakdowns. 
Glen & Linda - 07 MCS, PW, lounge, oak, all packages, bright turned R105s, carbon fiber.   
Pawsome View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/11 at 12:51pm
I signed up for the extended maintenance program last week. Given how I drive and my limited knowledge of MINI internals, I figured I'd break even Sleepy

Post Reply Post Reply