Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Shoes
    Posted: March/23/11 at 4:10pm
Okay I finally got a chance to order new rims and tires, not exactly what I wanted for rims but it would seem the ones I want are discontinued. Any way this all started 2 weeks ago, after days of getting quotes and availability from about 5 places I went with Tire Rack.

Here is were the story starts I placed my order on 3/10 everything was going good except it looked like the centering rings might be following a few days after the shipment. Everything was going good until day 2 my contact Grant at Tire Rack contacted me to let me know his Techs had found that 2 of the 4 in stock wheels had casting flaws and that he was going to get 2 new rims in from the manufacture ASAP. Grant worked really hard to correct the problem and managed to get everything put together and shipped out the first of this week.

So I was looking forward to receiving my new shoes today, AHHHHHHHHH not so fast young Skywalker. I pulled up the shipping info and found that my set had left Reno went to Sacramento then to Oakland and now today the were sitting in Memphis. It seemed to me my tires and rims were headed the wrong way.

Well I called Grant at Tire Rack and ask why after all of his work to get my rims and tires here today, way were they sitting in Memphis? One hour later I got a call from Grant he managed to stop the shipment and get it rerouted and it is suppose to be here tomorrow.

We will see what happens tomorrow but I wanted to get this out there for people to see. I am not happy with what has happened, nor am I impressed with the shipping company. What I want to point out is in this day and age Grant at Tire Rack has provided customer service above and beyond what we seem to run into these days.

My over all review is sh*t Happens but good Customer Service is forever.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 4:33pm
Customer service makes ALL the difference!!!

So what did you order for rims/tires?
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 6:15pm
Yes it does,
7x7 MOTEGI RACING SP10 HB
215/45ZR -17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL

SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 6:39pm
Ah, interesting, the DWS.   People love it, but I think I want a more dedicated summer tire.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 7:06pm
I have Proxy 4s on my S-lights, I Drive year around and I wanted something to take me deeper into the winter before I had to put on studs/snow tires

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 7:31pm
I just got 4 new wheels and tires for Jo's car today.  We ordered Saturday!  I've NEVER had this quick of a turnaround from tire rack.  Very cool.

The wheels are kinda fancy for me, but Jo likes them.  They are an ASW wheel with colored inserts in the spokes.  She had me put the red ones in, of course...

The cool thing is I ordered 17x7 wheels with 215-45 rubber.  They came on 17x7.5 rims.  I couldn't find the offset in the castings, nor did I measure.  But they do set out at the edge of the wheel well.  No rubbing - cool stuff.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/11 at 7:38pm
It must be a Chick thing Pat , Candus liked those too. I think those had a 45 off set,

Like I said Pat I am not happy with the turn around, both times from the first order to the second order I worked so that I would be home when they showed up, but becuase it is FedEx thay should be here before lunch.

All I can say is Grant has gone out of his way to get me my order, I wasn't in a hurry just tied of the studs.

Wildfamily View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/11 at 7:16am
While we are on the topic of tires, I got hooked up pretty good for the race car. Got two sets of Toyo R888s (1 full tread rains and 1 shaved set) for $850 total! Normal price on these tires is about $165-175 each plus shipping. Plus I got a free set from one of the guys for testing (still have tread) so that's 3 sets of race tires for $850. That should hold me a while as I get up to speed. :)
'15 F55 Cooper Volcanic Orange
'80 Mini English White
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/11 at 9:03am
That is really great Martin.

Just an up date, it looks like they finally made it to town and out for delivery. That is the good part, the downside is they already have almost 6,000 miles on them and they haven't been on the car yet Wink

PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/11 at 12:10pm
Must have a good treadwear rating to be brand new with 6K miles on them John. :)
'80 Mini English White
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/11 at 12:14pm
It is either that or they thought they were going to MOTD this year.LOL

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/11 at 1:33pm
Good wheel choice. I have the Motegi SP10 hyperblack also. :-)
I get compliments all the time. They will look great with you car color. 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/11 at 4:50pm
Got them on like the feel and the ride,

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/11 at 6:09pm
NICE!!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/11 at 6:28pm
Nice... 

PS - it looks like you have side skirts under the sides of the car. Where did you get those and what is the benefit? 

Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/11 at 6:39pm
Looking good John!  I need to find me some wheels dagnabit!!!!
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 7:06am
John:

The wheels look good!  Please update wth a tire review once you have driven the DWS for a whilePopcorn.
Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 9:17am
Lookin' good John!
'80 Mini English White
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 9:35am
VERY SHARP! Thumbs Up

italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 10:32am
Belle! Bravo!

Stefano
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 11:39am
Thanks everyone, except now you can see those tiny little brakes LOL

S: I will let you know more after more mile , but first impressions are like the difference between wearing tennis shoes compared to house slippers. It should be noted that the DWS's are 3 lbs lighter then the Toyo proxy 4s I was running

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 11:41am
Wow. I have the Proxes 4 tires. Will be interested to hear the traction performance of the new ones. They look a little knobby on the sidewalls compared to the Proxes. What wheels did you have before - just the S-Lites? 
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 11:48am
Originally posted by SuperCoop SuperCoop wrote:

Ah, interesting, the DWS.   People love it, but I think I want a more dedicated summer tire.
The DW (instead of DWS) look pretty good for summer + some wet performance. 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 11:58am
They have a less aggressive all season tire, I wanted something that would handle some snow and not hydroplane at reasonable speeds in normal northwest rain. These are also a 50k tire, I did real good with the proxys pushing 30k out of them and I still have about 10 left. Yes they were on S-Lites which I will most likely take in and have them powder coated and then mount winter tires on, once that is done then I can maybe look at brakes.

I need to break these tires in before I run them through some twisties.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/11 at 12:00pm
Yes they do.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/11 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Nice... 

PS - it looks like you have side skirts under the sides of the car. Where did you get those and what is the benefit? 

I am sorry I missed your question Kurt, Yes those are sides skirts and with the different front air dams I can change the vacuum under the car. Before I had the side skirts on I was sucking to much in from the sides.

So far I like the ride after 500 miles, I am still playing with the air pressure, but I do like the way the handle in the dry and wet. I would call these a nice Touring tire for all seasons , we will see how they do this winter.

Another important thing has happened even with the cold air temps and wind my MPG is climbing.

Post Reply Post Reply