Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next up: Driving lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next up: Driving lights
    Posted: April/01/11 at 10:21pm
Since my ride didn't come with front fogs and I don't want to pay the price for new bumper mounted fogs since I don't think the light output would really be that great I decided to go a slightly different route.

Ordered up these OEM style driving lights off my favorite online auction site for roughly the price that just the 2 OEM bumper mounted lights would cost.  From what i've read, the Wipac's are the same manufacturer as the ones that Mini dealers install if ordered, and they have the same issues as the OEM ones...rust but if that happens i'll deal with it.

They arrived and of course first thing i'm doing is out there to see how they fit the car since they don't come with any instructions.

It is a well made it, the brackets go on the hood just like OEM ones, and it even includes the rivets to fasten the brackets.

The wiring kit that it came with is a universal style and I will only be using bits and pieces of it because i'm going to tie these lights into the factory foglight relay and control system.

I'll be running a few wires from the switch panel on the dash, to the bcm and then again from the underhood relay box to the lights that way it'll work off the factory switch.  I've never really cared for aftermarket toggles in a car.  No offense to anyone intended.

I'll get you guys some pics once it's up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250788995162&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Edited by firehawk618 - April/01/11 at 10:25pm
*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
bobbydanger View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/11 at 12:12am
I think I have heard some complaints about those factory mounting brackets.  I think there have been some aftermarket brakets made though I cant remember what the issue was or the difference. I know sometimes light brackets can be sort of flimsy and allow the lights to bounce while driving. I will be interested to hear your thoughts and experience after you install them.
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/11 at 7:24am
Is there any way to mount them to the bumper/support instead of the bonnet?  Seems that's where most of the vibrations/movement would come from since the hood moves as much as it does.  Then again, with cars this stiffly sprung, it's going to be hard to isolate ALL movement period.

As for rust, before you put them on the car, you could always treat them with some rustoleum primer/paint to make sure it doesn't happen.

Looking forward to seeing the finished results and light output compared to the stock fogs.

I'm currently waiting on getting an HID upgrade kit for my fogs, so they should have no problem with light output =)
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
 Post Reply Post Reply