Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front bumper light question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front bumper light question
    Posted: July/03/11 at 4:51pm
One of my lights is out in my front bumper. It's the passenger side round light above where the fog lights would normally go. The small white light on the outside of the light. I pulled the plug, but cannot get the bulb out? Anyone have an idea on how to get it out? Does the bumper have to come off? My car is a 2004 if that helps.

Thanks,
James

Edited by Hot Shot - July/03/11 at 4:52pm
-James
www.jboyerphotography.com

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/11 at 6:09pm
Is this the position indicator light or turn signal light? 

You should be able to simply pull the bulb straight up and out of the connector. The hardest part is twisting and pulling the connector out of the reflector housing, due to the narrow space. Sounds like you already did that. 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/11 at 6:20pm
James are we talking about the marker / turn signal lights. If so it is kind of a 2 piece plug sound kind of like you just undid the plug. Don't know for sure because on the pre 05 cars some of the lights are a little different.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/11 at 6:52pm
It was the position light (Clear bulb). I got it out by removing the turn signal bulb, then using a pair of pliers to get it turned enough to where I could finish pulling it out by hand. The funny thing is when I pulled it out and looked at it, it looked fine. I plugged it back in and it works fine now. I bought a pack of spares just in case.

Thanks,
James
-James
www.jboyerphotography.com

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/11 at 7:31pm
Humm the mounts must be a little different, snow and ice last year caused me similar problems with the turn signal. Good to here you got.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/11 at 7:32pm
Corrosion starts to limit the amperage to the bulb, and then it doesn't work.  Removing and replacing the thing often rubs the crud off enough to make the connection work.  I was just going to say try the pliers, but you beat me to it.  Glad it works.  If you ever take the bumper off, or if you can reach the other bulbs, "exercise" them all.  Better in your garage than in the dark, wet somewhere...
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
firehawk618 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firehawk618 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/11 at 11:55pm
Yup, giving the bulb sockets the required twist isn't easy with the very limited space.

I used some angled needle nose pliers and it went pretty smooth.
*SOLD* 05MCS, added too much to list. 193k miles
JoeW View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/11 at 7:56pm
Take the turn signal bulb & socket out and then eve the largest of hands can get in there and get at the little peanut bulb and socket
2002 Cooper S Dark Silver
2002 Cooper BRG (for sale!)
 Post Reply Post Reply