Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opperation R55 Blackout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolburro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opperation R55 Blackout
    Posted: July/08/11 at 3:42pm
Here is an image of the results after Phase 1 of Opperation R55 Blackout... The headlight rings and grill trim were sanded down a bit then covered with PlastiKote Trim Enamel (over 2 coats of primer). We'll see how the paint holds up. There are some imperfections in the paint due to random dust blowing around outside while I was painting. Plus, if the paint starts peeling I might end up looking into a vinyl wrap for the pieces. The light bar is a VIP quad light bar holding 4 HELLA 500 Black Magics...

Phase 2 (already started): Install black side scuttles w/ black LED markers, and apply vinyl beltline blackout kit from OutMotoring.

Phase 3: Apply blackout film to headlamps, taillights, and center brake light... get blackout covers for door handles, gas cap, and rear clubman door handles.

Phase 4: **Win lottery**... Paint brake calipers red, purchase flat black 17" Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini-cooper-team-dynamics-pro-race.html

09 Cooper S Clubman Spklg Silver/Black
koolburro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolburro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/11 at 4:26pm
Crappy picture shot with my phone showing the new side scuttles and LED indicators

JoeW View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/11 at 6:52pm
flat black on sparkling silver looks awesome. Whle waiting for the lottery winnings to come through, you could always just paint your wheels black for about $20 (depending on how much paint you use)

Nice work
2002 Cooper S Dark Silver
2002 Cooper BRG (for sale!)
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/08/11 at 10:25pm
That really looks great. I think the black really looks good on our MINIs. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/11 at 7:49am
Very nice lookThumbs Up  With the high beams on AND the 4 Hella's on can you melt the garage wall???
In Phase 3 you mention taillights.  Have you considered the blackout led's?

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/Black_LED_Tail_Lights_for_MINI_Cooper_R56_R57.html

Has anyone tried using them?  Yes, I know, it is another Lottery itemBig smile

S.

Edited by SMOG - July/09/11 at 7:51am
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/11 at 2:04am
looks great, how do you like the lights?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/11 at 11:44am
That's beautiful Brian! You've done an awesome job. Thumbs Up I'd like to see it in person. Hopefully I'll catch up with you somewhere in Seattle or ?
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
koolburro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolburro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/11 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

Very nice lookThumbs Up  With the high beams on AND the 4 Hella's on can you melt the garage wall???
In Phase 3 you mention taillights.  Have you considered the blackout led's?

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/Black_LED_Tail_Lights_for_MINI_Cooper_R56_R57.html

Has anyone tried using them?  Yes, I know, it is another Lottery itemBig smile

S.

Definitely like the look of those, SMOG. Though unfortunately those are only for R56, mine is an R55. Originally I was thinking about painting the inside of the headlight housing black, like the black option on the '11 models. But I think smoking the headlamps out with black film will match the black magic driving lamps (and be a whoooooole lot easier). So i'll then just match that with the back tail lights.
koolburro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolburro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/11 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by JoeW JoeW wrote:

flat black on sparkling silver looks awesome. Whle waiting for the lottery winnings to come through, you could always just paint your wheels black for about $20 (depending on how much paint you use)

Nice work

Yeah, I've definitely considered painting them but I first want to wait and see how everything looks when all the random pieces are black. The silver wheels might add a good contrast for the time being and then I'll save up a bit. There's part of me that wants to go 18" but I think i'd rather save a little room because also on my never ending list of burn-a-hole-in-my-wallet mods are a set of coilovers to give it a lower stance and stiffer ride. Probably couldn't do that with giant 18's on there.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/11 at 10:22pm
Actually, the diameter of the wheel/tire combo would be essentially unchanged. When you go to a larger wheel size, you take that away from the sidewall height. Otherwise, your speedometer would be off by a lot. Therefore, the compromise you have with 18 inch wheels is a less comfortable ride. 

koolburro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolburro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/11 at 11:09pm
Ha! Oh yeah, didn't factor in the tire size getting smaller.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/11 at 6:00am
The sidewall height makes a big difference in comfort.  Tire diameter the same with 15" wheels=tall side wall, comfort and not so great twisty cornering.  Tire diameter the same with 18" wheels=short side wall, much less comfort and great twisty cornering.  Then there are the combination with 16" wheels and 17" wheels.  As far as the factory is concerned there are the 195 and 205 tire widths so the tire width is almost the same.

I forgot you are driving the R-55 so those LED's won't work, pity!

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/11 at 7:31am
If you want to try a R55 of 18 in wheels drop me a line.  I just put the R105s on my JCW and they ride FIRM.  Although they're still the run flat tires.  I plan to swap them out soon.

I also have a set of stock black 17" rims with DWS tires on them.  They ride very nice although they have a softer sidewall and I can feel the tire roll slightly on hard turn in.

I plan to do the same thing with the headlights, door handles, and gas cap.  Although I am going to try a wrap place I found locally.  We'll see how it works out.

Looking good!

Todd

Edited by Sanderskog - July/12/11 at 7:32am
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
koolburro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolburro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/11 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Sanderskog Sanderskog wrote:

If you want to try a R55 of 18 in wheels drop me a line.  I just put the R105s on my JCW and they ride FIRM.  Although they're still the run flat tires.  I plan to swap them out soon.

I also have a set of stock black 17" rims with DWS tires on them.  They ride very nice although they have a softer sidewall and I can feel the tire roll slightly on hard turn in.

I plan to do the same thing with the headlights, door handles, and gas cap.  Although I am going to try a wrap place I found locally.  We'll see how it works out.

Looking good!

Todd

Thanks Todd, might take you up on that offer sometime to check out the 18s... Out of curiosity, do you have a picture of your R55 with the 18s on? Curious to see how they look.

Brian
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/11 at 9:44pm
Great talking to you today Brian.  I got home and started looking at the details for the bar and saw you asked about a picture.  Unfortunately all I have is a cell phone picture.

As I mentioned, if you want to take a ride with the 18 inch wheels let me know.  I can also throw the 17 inch on which are below (and a much better pic).

Todd
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
Hot Shot View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Kurt,
Can you forward me the name of those door handles that you have? The matte black ones. I'd rather pick up a set of those instead of repainting mine.
-James
www.jboyerphotography.com

ACTUAL SIZE Sticker GB
<
koolburro View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koolburro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Hot Shot Hot Shot wrote:

Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

Kurt,
Can you forward me the name of those door handles that you have? The matte black ones. I'd rather pick up a set of those instead of repainting mine.

I'm not sure if Kurt has the same ones, but I ended up getting door handle and gas cap covers from Aesthetic Creations.

http://www.aesthetic-creations.com/category.php?id_category=16
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/11 at 9:32pm
Those are the ones. 
I got lucky and they had some in stock, but I understand that there is usually a wait of a few weeks as they manufacture to order" 

Post Reply Post Reply