Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torque Android App

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque Android App
    Posted: November/23/11 at 6:52pm
At the XXX car show Craven speed was showing off some of their products for using an Android phone and the torque app to display extra gauges and data that your computer reads but the car doesn't display. Since I have an Iphone I was disappointed that I couldn't use the app and Apple has bluetooth locked so you have to use wifi and a $30 program. Torque light is free and torque pro is only $4.95 and you don't have to use your wifi connection which is much better than the iphone option.

When I started thinking about displaying extra data on a phone screen I didn't think that the size of most phone screens would be very easy to read. I then decided to look for Android tablets that have bluetooth. I ended up finding a Vizio tablet from Costco that was less than half the cost of the majority of the tablets on the market. To get this to work you need an android device and a bluetooth transmitter. Craven speed sells the an ELM 327 transmitter which I was able to pick up online.

I received it tonight and have only played around with it for a few minutes but so far it work as expected. There are every gauge and graph that you can think of plus many more. I am looking forward to driving the car and seeing how well it works. I have also been wondering how much boost my car runs and this should tell me. You can also read and clear codes which was part of the reason that I bought it. The full version has a gps tracking function and can record data as you drive.

kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/11 at 9:03am
Many of us are using a ScanGuage that will display your choice of 4 additional parameters as well as has the ability to read and reset OBD II error codes.
One good turn deserves another...and another...

searocko View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/11 at 11:41am
I have been using Torque with my HTC EVO and it's a great app. Getting a cheap tablet which gives you a much bigger display is a great idea!  Thumbs Up   How and where did you mount it?

Larry

2005 JB/W MCS:RMW Tuned 215hp/187tq,cam|TSW x-brace|Cross Coilovers w/Swift Springs|OZ Alleggerita|Direzza|Scorpion Exh|etc.
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/11 at 11:59am
I haven't mounted it yet but craven speed is prototyping a tablet mount that is just like their phone mounts.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/11 at 12:08pm
And it does do code readouts and resets, right?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/11 at 1:05pm
yes it will read and clear codes

Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/14 at 5:05pm
Hoping to get some updated info on the bluetooth adapters. Curious if anyone out there is currently using an ELM327 Bluetooth / Android Torque app with their mini. Been looking into a couple adapters online. Found a few that were under $10, even more under $5.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1150474073.html

Experiences? Local stores that carry an ELM327? Better adapters?
Hello MINI Punisher!
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/14 at 6:02pm
I bought mine for cheap off eBay, sometimes tricky to get it to connect, not sure if it's the car, adapter or the app, but when it connects it's great. Also check out Dash app, doesn't clear codes, but does everything else.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/14 at 7:46pm
I use an elm 327 adapter with torque and multiple apps. I bought mine off of amazon and have had no issues with it
2006 JCW Checkmate-Wilwood big brake kit-Chrono package-H&R sport springs-H sport adjustable camber links
Punished View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Punished Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/14 at 11:24am
Glad to hear that Willcoop. What brand is yours? Been seeing a lot of mixed reviews about all of them. I ended up buying the one by Vgate through Amazon. Should be here sometime at the end of July. Guess that gives me plenty of time to play around with Torque and a few others that I noticed.
Hello MINI Punisher!
 Post Reply Post Reply