Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Alarm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini Alarm
    Posted: December/31/11 at 4:33pm
Just a quick question, what aftermarket car alarm does anyone recommend? Started looking at Car Toys yesterday $600 from them.

Thank you,
Cindy
2015 Hardtop,Thunder Gray W/ red stripes,JCW trim, SEAHAWK Plates. Mr.Magoo
Willcoop View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willcoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/11 at 7:16pm
I installed a viper alarm in my mustang in high school, it was a nice alarm. Can you have the dealer install a factory alarm? Usually factory alarms are plug and play and the wiring is already in the car. 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/11 at 10:32pm
Warning, be very carful about doing an aftermarket alarm. I can tell you what one works but you need a tec that has worked on high end German cars and knows what he is doing. The reason is when your mIni starts up it runs through a series of checks and if the wrong wires have been cut or to many ohms are being pulled you could throw codes or worse loose key items in your cars system.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/12 at 8:17am
What John said...

I also read somewhere that some years have the wiring already there(in the loom) for the OEM alarm and other years might not have the necessary wires in the wiring loom.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/12 at 10:04am
As MINI's are so difficult to steal to begin with, I wonder if an aftermarket or even a factory alarm is worth it.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you have one of the keys issued with the car you are not going to hotwire it/pop the ignition/start it with a shaved key and drive away.  I have heard of a car in England being stolen after a dealership employee ordered an extra key when the car was ordered, kept it, and then stole the car 6 months later.  An alarm may or may not be useful in that situation.  There have also been scattered reports of cars being drug up on to flatbeds and whisked away.

Maybe your car is different, but there's nothing in/on my car worth stealing.  Glass breakage/motion detectors may stop wheel thefts or somebody poking through your glove department, so I suppose they are worth it if they give you that peace of mind.  As someone who lost a fair amount of car stereos (remember when those were universal and worth stealing?) when I lived in North Dakota, I understand the desire for that protection.

Unfortunately, car alarms go off so often that they are routinely ignored.  You depend, then, on the thief being scared enough to run away.  That's not enough for me, so in the end the cost/benefit analysis doesn't pan out, at least for my cars.

Just my $.02.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/12 at 11:24am
I pretty much agree with Bruce - Keep valuables out of sight and there really isn't much incentive for someone to break into a MINI.  I know of people who leave convertables parked with the top down so theves are not temopted to cut the very expensive top to see if there is anything worth stealing inside. 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/12 at 12:52pm
I think the cars after 04 mostly had all the wiring.

As far as alarm systems the people I know who have add alarms system they have added them for the auto start and location functions not just for an alarm.

John

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/12 at 1:24pm
Just add a blinking LED and people will think you have an alarmBig smile

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/12 at 6:10pm
Mine came with an alarm when I bought it used, so it's nice to have for peace of mind, but I'm not sure if I would have added it myself if I ordered the car new. 

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/12 at 7:44am
I agree with Kurt - mine came with the alarm, it's nice to have, but not sure I would have ordered it.  Don't know if some insurance companies might give a discount if you have an alarm system.
cindyc View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cindyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/12 at 8:58am
Thanks everyone for their input. Think I'll save my money for somthing funBig smile
2015 Hardtop,Thunder Gray W/ red stripes,JCW trim, SEAHAWK Plates. Mr.Magoo
P&M View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/12 at 2:26pm
Some insurance companies to give discounts for factory alarms. Mine does. It does not offset the cost of the alarm but I purchased the factory alarm anyway. I like that it is factory. 
Hers 2009 S Pepper white, black Bonnet Strip, cold pkg, sport pkg, Prem pkg, Auto, HiFi Sound, bluetooth. His 2012 JCW CR Coupe, black bonnet strips, cold pkg, H&K Sound, Bluetooth and a bunch more.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/12 at 3:20pm
Our insurance company gives a discount as well.  The only other benefit is the ease of adding a tracking device, like LoJack or an aftermarket GPS Tracking System.  At least you would know where the gutted hulk was sittingBig smile 

After having 1 car stolen twice, and another car stolen once, and yet another car of mine was trying to be stolen and the theft interrupted by myself I can honestly say that stuff happens!  Is it harder to steal the new cars, yes, but a MINI is small enough to fit into a truck and be hauled off without ever starting the engine.

Edited by SMOG - January/05/12 at 6:19am
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/12 at 3:03pm
This is one of the things that kinds of irks me about MINI. All R56 ('07 Cooper/S) and greater models have an alarm and will prevent the car from starting without the coded key. So your car already has an "alarm" if all you are worried about is someone unlocking the door without the key and trying to drive away.

The MINI "Alarm" adds a few perks:
-That red hump on your tachometer? It will now Knight Rider back and forth/heartbeat when you lock the car.
- Adds a motion detector and maybe glass breakage sensors but I'm not positive on the glass bit.
- Adds a very loud alarm speaker rather then just honking the horn.

The Alarm is pre-wired but requires the dealer do the install as they need to reprogram the computer. Worth it? That's up to you. If I had a 'vert I'd get it because then it'd set the alarm off as soon as someone reached into the car while the top was down. I garage my Cooper S and try to park under street lights so never paid for the upgrade. The flashing red light is actually pretty cool though.

I don't know much about the R53's, maybe someone with a R53 can comment, so if you have the first generation you may actually have a similar set-up.

P&M View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P&M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/12 at 8:01pm
Are you sure the alarm is installed at the dealer? I thought it was a factory install?
Hers 2009 S Pepper white, black Bonnet Strip, cold pkg, sport pkg, Prem pkg, Auto, HiFi Sound, bluetooth. His 2012 JCW CR Coupe, black bonnet strips, cold pkg, H&K Sound, Bluetooth and a bunch more.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/12 at 6:21am
I have heard that some are pre-wired and some are not and I do not know how to check!  My 2011 has an alarm and my 2009 does not.  I will look around and see if I can find where the wires go into the loom, if they do at all.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/12 at 6:59am
On the earlier models, the car was pre-wired but the alarm unit and siren could be purchased separately and installed into the harnesses.  While plug and play, it still required MINI to get it set up with the CPU.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/12 at 11:32am
You all might check with Kurt I think he can turn it on with his software.

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/12 at 8:47pm
It's $500 if you get it installed in Oxford (at the time of ordering your MINI).

Looks like there was a change for 9/2009 and newer models because the price changes. You can have the dealer do the install. Go here http://www.shopminiusa.com/
Search for "alarm" and choose your model. It will show you all of your options.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/12 at 9:15pm
Very cool!  Thanks.  I have wondered about adding that as a retrofit!

Post Reply Post Reply