Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenon fog lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenon fog lights
    Posted: March/03/12 at 4:13pm
Has anyone swapped out the factory fog lights for Xenon fog lights?  if so, do I just swap out the bulbs or do I need to do more work?  I like instant gratification so if you have a suggestion on where I can buy in person let me know.  If all else fails I'll take suggestions for places online. 

Thanks,
Jasper  

07 JCW Dark Grey with black top
ramandanu View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramandanu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/12 at 12:09am
I am thinking of doing this, I would get H8 (CREE LED or just xenon 5900K) they are 35W should not cause heat issues.

H8 should be a straight swap from what i can tell.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/12 at 1:27am
Yes , you have to watch it because the computer might think the bulbs are
Burned out because of the less resistance.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/12 at 5:13am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

Yes , you have to watch it because the computer might think the bulbs are
Burned out because of the less resistance.

Thats with LED's.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 11:01am
One of my bulbs burned out last week so I put an order in for these:

Super Xenon White HID 12V 35w H8 Foglight Light Bulbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230851482586?item=230851482586&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

I'll take before and after photos after I get the bulbs...  After putting LED's on my licence plate I developed a strange obsession for LED's so I might put those on the fog lights if these lights don't do it for me.  Its more for cosmetic reasons then functionality as I am guilty of driving around in non-foggy weather with fog lights on.  Its so the drunk drivers can see me during the day. 

Jasper

Edited by Jasper - September/27/12 at 11:03am
SuperCoop View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperCoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 11:19am
Jasper, FYI, those are not true xenon/HID bulbs. 

True HID lights, bought matching replacement bulbs for the headlights, you can't beat the price and I actually have HID fog lamps now too.
Jason - '05 PS/B Cooper S, most packages, 17%, Brisk silver plugs, IE fixed camber plates & Craven STD's, Powerflex trans/dogbone mount poly inserts, 20mm Whiteline rear sway bar, SprintBooster.
Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 11:26am
Oh I know those are not true Xenon lights.  I opted for those bulbs because I just have to screw them in, no other modifications needed.   

I'm still hesitant on doing any modifications myself as I'm guilty of not following instructions - how difficult was it to install?  I was worried something would end up melting due to my faulty wiring skills.

Thanks,
Jasper

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Jasper Jasper wrote:

Its more for cosmetic reasons then functionality as I am guilty of driving around in non-foggy weather with fog lights on.  Its so the drunk drivers can see me during the day. 

Please stop this behavior =)   You are actually decreasing visibility for all the other drivers because fog lights generate a glare off the roadway.
Fog Lights (rant)

I guess, if you are only doing it during the day, it's not so bad as long as your fogs are not like 2x power of your DRLs as that would be mighty distracting if you ended up behind me.

That DDM kit looks good. I do notice the HIDs on my GF's '12 are better than on my '08. I'm not sure if that is simply age or they improved them.

Also, I've never done it, but my understanding is if you crank the wheel to one side and have small hands you can even do the replacement without pulling the wheel off. It's a pretty straightforward bulb replacement.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 2:27pm
+1 for not driving with fog lights on unless it is foggy - If you want to be "one of those", buy an SUV or a big pickup truck, put big wheels and a jacked up suspension on it and drive around tailgating everyone in a smaller car.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 4:02pm
Very nice CINIMIN. Don't forget to replace your stock bulbs with those terrible terrible Sylvania blue things when you mod your truck.

Most people don't even know that the human eye has a _very_ difficult time seeing detail in blue light. The receptors are just not able to focus on blue light. So, the bluer the light is coming out the front of your car the less you can actually see on the road. I stay very far away from anyone with those blue lights.

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 6:11pm
Hummmm, I think there are 2 or 3 things being mixed up here and blamed on one.

1. What you are using to create light.

2. Light wave band

3. Output

There are some other important things but its best to keep it simple.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 6:58pm

These lamps are Nokya Hyper Yellow and they do not glare back when hitting fog.

There is a pretty good Fog Lamp discussion on NAM and the discussion gets into lamps, light color and lumens as well as photos of what they look like when on.  http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Edited by SMOG - September/27/12 at 7:05pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 8:26pm
The Creeds work nice for backup light replacements , 921s, I haven't tried them yet to see if the throw codes.

Hate me but I run a lot with my fogs on over here, the flat low cutting full flood throws enough light out to the side so I can spot EYES, because of this I have avoided 4 skunks, 1 coyote & 2 pups, 1 big porcupine and a dozen rabbits.

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/12 at 8:59pm
John - not a problem in rural areas - anything that helpe you see better is a big safety factor - what is a PITA is driving on city streets or on the Interstates with some clown with a full set of lights right behind you or coming at you..  even in daylight that can be anoying...
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/12 at 3:51am
Yeah, my long range lamps are aimed at the edge of the road and the Hella fogs have such a definite cut off line that they do not look bright until you cross that vertical line and in fact they are way better at that then the OEM fogs.

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/12 at 9:49am

Hate me but I run a lot with my fogs on over here, the flat low cutting full flood throws enough light out to the side so I can spot EYES, because of this I have avoided 4 skunks, 1 coyote & 2 pups, 1 big porcupine and a dozen rabbits.

You need yourself a proper light bar(s)! You shouldn't miss a thing with a set-up like this:
http://www.diseno-art.com/news_content/2011/05/dsquared-mini-cooper-s-auctioned-at-life-ball-2011-charity-event/

Honestly, if you are in a situation where high beams are not causing issues for other drivers turn on as many lights as you want. I'm just not fond of drivers who are only concerned with themselves and don't give a flipping care in the world if they are blinding everyone else.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/12 at 8:28pm
I have thousands of miles with a roof mounted light bar.  They suck to put it succinctly.  The light draws all the bugs within a 1 miles radius into your windshield!  I drove from Baja to the Yukon Territories with roof mounted hellas.  I turned them off so I could see for more than a few minutes before the bugs got me.  No, never again.

Photo cells shutting off the lamp circuit is handy...

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/12 at 5:58pm
Thanks Ryan, I always like that Canadian Mini. The countryman at AMVIV had a nice light bar.

I do miss my 4 Black magic 500s

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/12 at 2:07pm
J:

Those are Hella Black Magics that I have on the front of SMOG-2.  I like them!  The FOGs are Hella also.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/12 at 5:32am
Here is what the difference between the OEM FOGs w/Nokya Hyper Yellow Lamps looks like compared to Hella 500 w/Nokya Hyper Yellow lamps and Yellow Shieldz.

Hella 500 Fogs w/Nokya yellow lamps AND yellow Hella Shieldz.

OEM Fogs w/Nokya yellow lamps.

Jasper View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/12 at 11:23am
I should put this up in the for sale section but since the topic involves fog lights...

I have an extra set of bulbs that I mentioned above, I'm willing to sell them at cost ($6 dollars, I'll eat the expedited shipping fee) - you get instant gratification if you want to meet me at Starbucks in Bellevue/Seattle to pay for them.  Or I can mail them to you.

Super Xenon White HID 12V 35w H8 Foglight Light Bulbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230851482586?item=230851482586&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

See posts above, these are not "true" Xenon lights but for the price you don't have anything to lose.  I have not been able to test them on my MINI as its been at the dealer for the last week for more issues.  Selling because I've given up on MINI...  Life is too short, I don't want to rant anymore...

Thanks,
Jasper
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/12 at 12:03pm
This is about as close to a light bar on the roof as it gets and is the rig I used from Baja to the Yukon Territories.  This photo was taken in Baja.

We were surfing near San Quintin. 

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/12 at 4:53am

The Creeds work nice for backup light replacements , 921s, I haven't tried them yet to see if the throw codes.

That porcupine would have made a real mess of your new Coupe'!!  The skunks would not help much either...

You mention BackUp lights: Ifound them to be pretty non-existent on my MINI's and have considered putting in something that can really light up the whats back there.  I have even considered replacing the rear fog lamp with a Hella something or other.

Post Reply Post Reply