Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Photos and Videos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving UP in the world

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving UP in the world
    Posted: March/18/12 at 9:08am
Here is an item that I highly recommend.  Works as advertised.  Very easy to lift the MINI and change all 4 wheels or even for cleaning your wheels without crawling on the ground, just sit on a stool to clean your wheels.  Waaaaaaay more steady than 4 jackstands and easier to get to this height too.  26" maximum height, these photo's show a 24" height.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 9:24am
Link: http://www.ezcarlift.com/

Price: Starting at $1995.00

With two MINIs also (and a third in the future; Elliott's project MINI), this could be worth it.

Bruce

Edited by valvashon - March/18/12 at 9:26am
...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 9:24am
Wow!!
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 9:26am
Now THAT'S a nice set up!! Thumbs Up How much?
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 9:44am
They have a "Special Pricing", which is  $200 less.  Not sure where I encountered it on their web site but I did inquire. 

He has had "Group Buys" in the past and is willing to do it again if he gets 6 people to participate.  Since I had so much difficulty in the Jan Tune I was pretty hesitant to stick my neck out and start a "Group Buy" here.

http://www.ezcarlift.com/ezcarlift_video.html

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 10:05am
Stephen, did you need to buy a more powerful VSR drill or do you already have one.  The website says you need a 7amp drill to make this work.
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 11:17am
Dave:  I tried a 3.3 amp, 3/8 drill motor (millwauke) and it did not have enough beans to do it, so I was forced to break out my large drill motor that I used commercially in my electrical business.  A Millwauke Hole Hog, 6.5 amp., powerful enough to be dangerous!  I am sure there are other smaller drill motors that would work.  The web site suggests drill motors that work and lists their amp ratings. 

The 3/8 drill motor is a variable speed and the other drill motor is a 2 speed set to the high setting, about 1000rpm.

I suspect a 7 amp motor would be a good thing if you had the Variable Speed capability.  My Hole Hawg (google it if you are not familiar with them) is super powerful because of the gearing.

Edited by SMOG - March/18/12 at 11:31am
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 11:32am
Originally posted by italianjob italianjob wrote:

Wow!!

???  That it can be lifted by a drill motor??

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/12 at 9:41pm
That's pretty cool. How is this price-wise compared to other garage lifts? Any other favorites? I get tired of the jack and jackstands routine -- especially when there is another car in the garage and I don't have room to make the jack lever go up and down. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 5:36am
Kurt:  There are these which got my eye, but they are heavy and require floor storage space.  http://naautoequipment.com/mid-rise-scissor-lifts.html

EZ Lifts are the lightest lift and me, with my age and infirmities can still pick up one side (when it is assembled) and tilt it up against a wall.  Give me another 5 years I will need to rig a pulley system to lift it because I am probably lifting 70lbs.  It can be disassembled and stored.

Price wise it is a bit more expensive, but the storage feature and it's portability weigh in it's favor.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 12:21pm
How long does it take to set up and make the lift go up? 

I can probably get a car on jack stands in about 4 minutes. The extra clearance looks like it would be really nice to have when dropping the subframe, changing the clutch, etc. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 12:24pm
If you have to bolt it together before you use it then the jack stands are faster, but not as fast as flopping it down assembled and raising the car.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 12:25pm
I will try to get a photo of what it looks like assembled and tilted up against the wall.  Check back this evening.

DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 12:53pm
I'd get one, if my neighbor didn't have a pneumatic garage hoist in his shop.

He got it 25 years ago when he saw an old gas station being torn down. He stopped to ask about what they were going to do with the lift, they said he could have it, if he got it out of the ground himself, he hired a tow truck to pull it out and took it home.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 1:50pm
Dave!  That was a good deal!!!!
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/12 at 1:59pm
Kurt:  Here are the photos as promised.

MINIMNT View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINIMNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/12 at 6:52pm
You guys can ooh and ahh over the lift.  I'm impressed with the spacious, clean garage!
2003 Silk Green Girly MINI - married to Napoleon II (valvashon)
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/12 at 7:03pm
Thanks.  It is heated too Big smile .

I learned years ago I can work much faster, cleaner and more efficiently if I can find things.  I have a separate workshop for my other hobby but sadly it is not heated and insulated Shocked ILL and I do not get anywhere enough work done because I cannot feel my hands for the darkest winter months.

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/12 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by MINIMNT MINIMNT wrote:

You guys can ooh and ahh over the lift.  I'm impressed with the spacious, clean garage!
LOL I was impressed by that too but I didn't say anything because I'm embarrassed how cluttered our garage is. LOL
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/12 at 9:38pm
I have lift envy. I am going to install a limited slip differential soon (next mod) but I guess jack stands will have to do. 

I wonder if an impact driver could be used to raise the lift... It would probably drain the air tank though. 
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/12 at 3:54am
Kurt: Not sure about the impact driver, I have an electric impact driver and I have not even tried it.  My garage is all set up for a large air compressor 30A electrical circuit but I never bought the compressor, hose reel and all those neat tools.  I spend more time working in my woodshop and it's air tools just suck (vacuum).  Kayaks and other woodworking projects don't need air tools.

Brenda, your garage is not clutter, you just have waaaaay more toys in it!!!

Edited by SMOG - March/24/12 at 6:52am
kenru View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/12 at 6:30am
I have been using an EZCarLift for a year or two.  Very handy little lift.  I also have the drive on ramps and two sets of crossbars so I can put either my classic or new Mini(s) on it.

I found I needed a bigger drill too.  A pawn shop is a great source for good, cheap commercial grade tools.
One good turn deserves another...and another...

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/12 at 6:46am
The Millwaukee Hole Hawg works great!  If the drill motor has an opposing handle, like a pipe handle then no torque is applied to your wrists.  The torque is not uncontrollable but for an old guy with 2 wrist surgeries I find it handy.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/milwaukee%201%202%20hole%20hawg?_dmd=1&_sop=12&clk_rvr_id=326708654989&MT_ID=69&crlp=17010970174_1&tt_encode=raw&geo_id=1&keyword=milwaukee+1+2+hole+hawg&adgroup_id=5019753574

Post Reply Post Reply