Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Photos and Videos
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some spy photos of the next gen all new mini coope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some spy photos of the next gen all new mini coope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuffedbackseat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some spy photos of the next gen all new mini coope
    Posted: May/11/12 at 8:14am
The pictures are all of a camouflaged, but clearly different next gen mini cooper. The grille is smaller, the front is a bit flatter, and the headlights are much larger. The car looks a bit wider and a bit longer with an extended hood. Also, supposedly the interior is quite a bit different too, with the main difference of removing the center speedometer, which I personally thought was great. Side story: I once got pulled over driving somewhere between 70-85 and the officer asked me how fast I was going, and I honestly wasn't sure so I told him I thought I was going around 80 but I wasn't sure and he told me I'd better know how fast I was going with a speedometer that size in my car. I guess now I wouldn't have that problem since the middle speedometer is being removed.
So what do you guys think of the new mini? Personally I'm really excited to see what it looks like without some of that camouflage.
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 8:22am
Kind of looks more similar to the classic MINIs in my opinion. I don't like the idea of getting rid of the massive center speedometer though...
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 10:19pm
No center speedometer??? Who made that bonehead decision!? 
Let's hope is just a remnant of the car using parts from the FWD BMW, with which it is sharing a chassis, until they finish designing the interior.  
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 10:49pm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyballinger/397164518/

Neither my wife or I look at the center speedometer much. I actually like the R50/R53 with the center mounted GPS and the speedometer & tach mounted on the steering column.
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 10:53pm
So how to do you know how fast you are going? 
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/12 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by CORNERS CORNERS wrote:

See below:

'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/12 at 12:07pm
http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/06/05/the-next-generation-mini-interior-in-detail/#more-24594

More details on the loss of the center speedo:

"What about the speedometer? The center speedo on the MINI has been axed for the F56 due to two reasons. First MINI has taken hit after hit in consumer surveys with the main speedometer being located in the center of the car and wants to listen to that sentiment. Secondly the electronics of this car will be almost identical to the upcoming front wheel drive BMW. And while that doesn’t mean they couldn’t do a center speedo, it meant that there was additional cost this time in making it happen.

The F56 instead will have an analogue speedometer behind the steering wheel where the current rev counter is. The rev counter will be a smaller, semi circle gauge attached to the left hand side of the speedo"

Edited by swpars - June/09/12 at 12:37pm
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/12 at 4:57pm

I really like the look of the big speedo in the center, and think it is a distinguishing feature of a MINI, but I do admit that I never use it. My tach is set on the digital speed readout, so I always know exactly how fast I'm going.  I just hope the designers don't eventually turn the MINI into another BMW - just my 2 cents, not meant to offend anyone. Smile

DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/12 at 5:34pm
I never pay any attention to how fast I drive anyway. I probably drive too fast in the MINI!

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/12 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by swpars swpars wrote:

See below:

That is the one I use too.  That big dinner plate in the middle of the dash would be a better place for a real gauge cluster.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/12 at 12:27am
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

See below:

That is the one I use too.  That big dinner plate in the middle of the dash would be a better place for a real gauge cluster.

Pity there wasn't an option for a "gauge package" in the R56 with coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges in the center, along with a turbo boost gauge for R56 S/JCW models. I'd totally have paid $500 extra for such an option from the factory when we got our R56 last year.
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/12 at 7:55am
I LOVE my center speedo.  I don't use it a lot, I look at the digital one in the center, but it adds to the character of the car.  It is sometimes useful at the track, since the digital one has a lag.

Honestly, to me, MINI cooper is 2 things:  Handling & Character.  No one buys a MINI because it is prestigious or comfortable or spacious...

I literally HATE bmw on all their actions regarding cutting corners.  They're not a brand for enthusiasts anymore.

More details on the loss of the center speedo:

"What about the speedometer? The center speedo on the MINI has been axed for the F56 due to two reasons. First MINI has taken hit after hit in consumer surveys with the main speedometer being located in the center of the car and wants to listen to that sentiment. Secondly the electronics of this car will be almost identical to the upcoming front wheel drive BMW. And while that doesn’t mean they couldn’t do a center speedo, it meant that there was additional cost this time in making it happen.

2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
 Post Reply Post Reply