Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > Motoring Files: Tales from the open road.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vancouver & the Sea to Sky Highway. In a day.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vancouver & the Sea to Sky Highway. In a day.
    Posted: May/13/12 at 12:43am
1 day.

1 Cooper hatch.

2 people.

Why not?

We left home around 11 am and got back right before 11 pm.

We ate some of the best Chinese food in North America in Richmond, BC for two meals and drove on the Sea to Sky highway. Washington State is gorgeous, but it is tough to compare to Western Canada.

Some pictures:

- Heading north on I-5

Why I no longer own a Swedish car:

Straight out of Smokey and the Bandit:

Lunch: Taiwanese beef noodle soup at Chef Hung's in Aberdeen Center

Sea to Sky Highway

Shannon Falls near Squamish, BC

Coastal mountains above the Sea to Sky Hwy

Dinner. Hole in the wall Hong Kong style BBQ place off Number 3 Road in Richmond. Sublime if you like BBQ pork and chicken, Chinese style.

Great day. Highly recommend driving the Sea to Sky Highway if one gets the chance. The roads are lightly traveled and the locals know where to open the throttle and where the Mounties (rarely) do traffic enforcement.

Edited by swpars - May/13/12 at 12:59am
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/12 at 12:50pm
Looks like great eats and a great day.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/12 at 2:57pm
That looks like fun!  Thanks for sharing.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/12 at 5:10pm
Looks like it might  be a great fall colors drive - anyone been there and done that?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/12 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

Looks like it might  be a great fall colors drive - anyone been there and done that?

No, but we would be in for that trip!

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/12 at 7:40pm

I've only done it in the winter before. This was my first time on the Sea to Sky Highway without snow and I definitely will be back.

One thing I will say is that getting through the city of Vancouver is lousy. We got stuck going through Vancouver because we ate lunch in Richmond, BC and our GPS guided us straight through downtown Vancouver over the Lions Gate Bridge.

If a group of cars is going up that way, my suggestion is to take BC route 15 from the Blaine truck crossing to the Trans-Canada Highway, then to head west on the Trans-Canada until it turns into the Sea to Sky Highway.

Another option if eating in Richmond (seriously, anyone who likes Chinese food should go to the Aberdeen Center mall and eat at any given restaurant there) would be to take BC route 91 (Annacis Highway) to Knight Street -> north on Knight Street to Marine Drive ->east on Marine Drive to Boundary Road -> north on Boundary Road to the Trans-Canada.
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/12 at 10:58pm
One car shot from the trip:

'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/12 at 9:33am
Beautiful scenery! Beautiful photos!  Thanks for sharing!

MINIMNT View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINIMNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/12 at 11:40pm
Looks like a great drive.  I'd be interested if something came together for a group drive.  Also the pictures are gorgeous.  I want your camera.  We're in the market for a new one so if you'd care to share what you're working with I'd much appreciate it.

Stacie
2003 Silk Green Girly MINI - married to Napoleon II (valvashon)
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/12 at 1:16am
Gorgeous pics! You made my mouth water for the made-for-MINI-roads and all that tasty looking food too! Drool Thanks so much for sharing!! 
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
swpars View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swpars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/12 at 6:45am
Originally posted by MINIMNT MINIMNT wrote:

Looks like a great drive.  I'd be interested if something came together for a group drive.  Also the pictures are gorgeous.  I want your camera.  We're in the market for a new one so if you'd care to share what you're working with I'd much appreciate it.

Stacie

Stacie,

The pictures are actually from two different cameras - a Nikon D300S and a Sony NEX-5N. The Nikon D7000 has superseded the D300S since I bought mine in early 2010.

Most of the road pictures are with the Nikon with a Nikon 105mm f2.8 VR (image stabilized) lens mounted.

The waterfall picture is from the Nikon with a Nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR (image stabilized) lens mounted.

The food pictures are from the Sony with its stock 18-55mm lens mounted.

Also, please note that all the Nikon shots are not stock JPEGs. I shot in RAW format then processed in Adobe Lightroom. The Sony shot is a JPEG.

If you're interested in making the move to a digital SLR (like the Nikon) or a mirrorless camera (like the Sony), let me know, I'm happy to discuss.

Edited by swpars - May/31/12 at 6:51am
'12 Mini Cooper 6AT
'04 BMW 330i 6MT

Carmen View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/12 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by SMOG SMOG wrote:

No, but we would be in for that trip!

'next time the mood hits, try this...

Make a post BEFORE you leave, and entitle it "Can Your Mini Come Out & Play?"

You'd be surprised at just how many takers may be able to show up, even with no warning.

Go Well!
2008 MCS : almost 92k miles, full Service Bulletin SIM 11 02 07 performed at 63,964 by a Mini dealer. So far, so good.
 Post Reply Post Reply