Forum Home Forum Home > Events > Events Archives > Event Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAMVIV9 (counterpoint)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMVIV9 (counterpoint)
    Posted: June/21/12 at 10:06am
This is kind of in response to johnf36's post yesterday. I don't outright disagree with anything he said but after 3 different AMVIV's and 3 different AMVIV experiences I wanted to make sure those evaluating going next year have two sides to consider.

Loved our trip down to AMVIV9 this year. Left Fife, WA-4, across Astoria bridge to 101 all the way south to CA-36. Took CA-36 to I-5 through Sacramento, made our way through the Señora Pass and across the Stanislaus National Forest then continued east to 95 and into Vegas. Was really a blast (roller coaster?) of a drive. Even got to meet some MINIs going to AMVIV while waiting for the one-lane roads to open.

The AMVIV event itself was smaller than years past; less attendees and less vendors. It was nice to catch-up with my MINI friends who I seem to only get to see at this event. I broke even as far as the gambling goes and that's a win in my book. I even broke even at the slot tournament.

Attempted to do the Death Valley run but Alsatia threw a CEL. That allowed me to meet the great folks at Desert MINI. They got her in, checked her out, reset the CEL, and sent me on my way. That was a big bummer of the trip since the Death Valley run was the only run we wanted to do this year and we didn't even get very far out of town. Some good stories came back from that run so it's on the list for next year. The Sin City club actually tracked me down on Facebook to make sure I had no more issues and got home. That was very nice of them. I think they have a really good club down there.

The beer swap was fun and I brought back some stuff I'd never tried before (and it's actually really good!). I hope they do it again next year but plan it a little better. There was some confusion about this particular part of the event (at least I was confused). It was only by chance I ran into a group still swapping in the parking garage after dinner. Again, great time to meet new MINI friends but almost missed the opportunity.

The pool party was an absolute blast! Better than any other closing night they have done in the past. Really hope they continue with doing the pool party thing.

We drove straight GPS shot back with another MINI from the area. That provided some good laughs on an otherwise mind numbing desert landscape. I'm officially not a fan of the straight shot back home from Vegas although eastern Washington is pretty, it does not make up for an entire day of The Great Basin Highway.

I'll be there again next year and I hope I can take a few days to do a similar route down or maybe do the route I took down on the way back. I really do enjoy AMVIV for the event itself but also because it's a good excuse to explore some west coast roads, meet new friends, and catch-up with old friends. This year's event, although smaller then past, certainly didn't disappoint. See you all next year!

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/12 at 1:39pm
I agree for the most part, Our drive down 395 and some of the side events we did on the way down and back were great. I think this is a worth while item to do once, but don't expect to much from the event it's self. It gave me a chance to talk in person with some of my face book friend and actually meet them in person. Plus yes a chance to make and meet new Friend. What code did it throw?
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/12 at 2:08pm

IP-I grew up spending almost every summer after 7th grade at the Dardanelles  (5774 ft) with lots of trips over Senora pass  .  Would be a great MINI road.  Wasn't as much fun in a 57 Chev with a 6.  My TR4A did improve that situation however.

Did you get out and wheeze around at the summit? 

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/21/12 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Rob N Rob N wrote:

Did you get out and wheeze around at the summit? 

I've been to CO and Peru at > 10,000 feet so I was fine. My parents, driving their Countryman, were starting to get light headed so we did not stop

But yes, really good road and clean too. There were only two corners I saw where someone had kicked up some gravel. As planned, we left Angel's Camp early so the sun was still rising as we made our way through the pass. Just stunning way to start the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply