Forum Home Forum Home > Dealer Discussions > Warranty Issues and Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Service warranties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMNCELO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service warranties
    Posted: August/02/12 at 1:47pm
A friend bought a 2006 cooper S from a dealer, and also bought a $3000 extended service warranty, but now is questioning the need for the warranty, and still has time to cancel it.
Sorry, I have no more info about the car, but what is the general consensus about warranties?
Wonderingly

Gretchen
Gretchen and LMNCELO: 2005 liquid yellow MCS convertible
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/12 at 2:33pm
Do you have details of what's covered by the service warranty? Do you know the last time things like brakes, air filters, brake fluid, etc. were changed and when the next change may be due?

My 3 year/36,000 standard service ended about a year ago and I could extend it another 3 years if I wanted. I had to very carefully calculate oil changes, brake pads, rotors, etc. that I would need vs. how long I planned to keep Alsatia. In the end I calculated it would cost me the same to buy the parts outright and do the work. The benefit to going this route is that I could put better parts on the car. However, if I never wanted to touch the car then the extended service would have already half paid for itself.
shasti212 View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Vice President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shasti212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/12 at 4:43pm
I would advise keeping it unless they know how to work on MINIs themselves.

I bought a 2005 from a Ford dealer and got that warranty...and I have already saved more money than what I spent on it. So many things can go wrong with the older models that cost a lot of money without warranty!
R.I.P.: "Zippy"-Hyper Blue Metallic/White 2005 R50."MINI-ME" plates. Side wing decals.

"Luna" - White Silver 2014 Roadster S. "RDSTER" plates.

"Aura" - Space Blue/Silver 2006 Cooper S.
 Post Reply Post Reply