Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions on Rotors and Brake Pads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions on Rotors and Brake Pads
    Posted: August/24/12 at 3:16pm

What kind of rotors and pads to go with stock, drilled, slotted, and drilled and slotted I don’t even know where to start on these.   What brake pads should I go with?  Where is the best place to pick up said parts?BowDown

John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/12 at 3:25pm
Hi John. If you are happy with the performance of your current brakes, no reason to deviate from the stock or OEM equivalent.
Unless you track the car, there is no reason to go with slotted/drilled other than external appearance. I can paint your rotors red as well if you want. That makes the car look really nice.

Autoanything.com usually has good deals on aftermarket brakes and pads.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/12 at 3:30pm
I'll second everything CORNERS said. The stock brakes/rotors on the MINI are good. If you find something wrong with them then there are aftermarket parts to make them better but if you find nothing wrong with them you may find something wrong with aftermarket (too grabby, they make noise, etc. etc.).

Start with a reason you want to switch from stock and a few of us may have on opinion on what direction to go. If you don't have a reason to switch from stock then there is your answer ;)

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/12 at 6:34pm
With the OEM rotors and calipers you will have a wider selection of wheels.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
Slyderone View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slyderone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/12 at 8:20pm
Thanks for all the input it is really nice to have such experenced people willing to help out .  I was thinking about OEM rotors because I don't track and what I have has been good for the type of driving I do(most of the time).  Pads are a different story I HATE the amount of dust I get off the OEM pads. 
John 05 MCSC: Alta CAI, 15%, JCW Head and Injectors, RMW Street Cam, Jan Tune
(SLYDER1 plates)

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar…"       
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/12 at 8:36pm
Look at Hawk Ceramic Performance Street pads - no dust, no noise and no fade in enthusiastic mountain driving - (available at Tire Rack)  I'm also looking at the Hawk Rotors as they are the only ones that mention improved wet braking - very important around here.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

Post Reply Post Reply