Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 Winter Tire Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/12 at 11:55am
I went with the X-Ice tires and have been pretty happy with their performance.  These were the best tire I could find for the type of driving that I do and the conditions I do it in.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/12 at 12:27pm
Have you guys seen the new

GoodyearUltra Grip Ice WRT

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/12 at 2:27pm
I just bought Conti DWS.  Will have them mounted this Sunday.

I was going to delay this purchase, but my rear left tire has a screw in it that can't be fixed (close to edge), so instead of getting 2 summer tires now, I decided to invest in all weather tires. 
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/12 at 8:32am
I have the DWS for my winter tires and like them.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/12 at 6:09pm
I'm taking Greysen in for a routine maintenance tomorrow and I'm have them put on my new winter tires/wheels while they're at it (went with the Blizzaks via Tirerack.com). 

How am I going to get 4 tires/wheels to Seattle MINI you ask? Easy...I have a Countryman!

I bet those of you with "just" two doors can't do this!? Wink Sorry couldn't resist being a bit of a smart a**. I'll post a few photos once the new tires/wheels are on the car.
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/12 at 7:04am
I think you might be surprised what those of us with a couple of doors can do with the space in the back.....
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/12 at 4:36pm
You can fit 4 mounted tires/wheels in the back of a MINI Cooper. I've done it. Just secure everything down as that's a lot of weight if it starts to shift.

Erhan.. how do you like your DWSs?

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/12 at 7:03pm
2004 Cooper S - I frequently take four mounted tires (215-45-17) with me to the track, as well as a toolbox, helmet bag, 5 gallon gas can, drink cooler, popup tent, folding chair, video recording gear and a box full of spare fluid, brake pads, etc. ....and have room to spare. 

I suspect I could get four tires and unmounted wheels in the car if I didn't have all that other track stuff with me. :-) 

italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/12 at 8:41pm
I had 5 wheels+tires in the back last month. It's good because they barely fit and so they dont move around.

BTW is anyone selling a set of wheel+WINTER tires? 

(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/12 at 12:51am
Okay I am here for a fresh report hot off the presses.  Dunlop SP Sport 01 are a very poor choice in 4 inches of frozen snow, ice and slush.  Don't buy these for winter tyres. Shocked

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/12 at 5:42am
I wonder how they would compare to my SP Winter Sport M3's?  Maybe pretty slippery since they are not the winter rating.

The winter sports worked fairly well last couple of years for me, but the Blizzaks on my wifes MINI are better in snow and ice.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/12 at 7:28am
John - hpw copld was it?  do you think it was the just low temp or the ice on the road that they had a problem with?
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/12 at 9:37pm
Here are a few photos of Greysen with new Blizzaks and wheels on...they've done great in the rain we've been getting and i'm eager for the first snowfall to see how they do getting to/from the ski resorts.

I also I recently had the guys at Traffic Graphics NW "black out" all the chrome trim via vinyl wrap & paint (for the wing badges specifically). Here are a few photos they took for me at their shop.

Good guys, who did a very good job for me. They recently did vinyl wrap on the two Black/Lime and Lime/Black Coupe's currently in the showroom @ Seattle MINI
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/12 at 1:24am

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/12 at 5:39am
Certainly a good explanation of why to use winter tires.

I noticed that WSP has OK'd the SOCK thingy's for snow and ice.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/12 at 11:08am
What I thought was interesting is how they store customers tyres as a service.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/12 at 2:23pm
Renting a storage facility for your tires???  I would rather stack them in a corner of the shop.

Edited by SMOG - November/22/12 at 10:19pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/12 at 4:02pm
No its more like a Tyre SPA Big smile

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/12 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

No its more like a Tyre SPA Big smile

LOL
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/12 at 6:29pm
Tire Rack published their 2012 Winter Tire Ice Rink tests http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=167

There was a company in Philly that, for a yearly fee, would bring you a set of tires and pick up a set twice a year. It was more expensive then renting a storage locker outside of the city. Interesting concept though.
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/12 at 8:37pm
With the "Snow Plow" john made for me a few years back, I find that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are more than adequate to hug the bare road it clears for me.  LOL
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/12 at 9:50pm
Is that the Home Depot special you are refering to?
Jack -

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/12 at 10:48pm
Nope you won't find that at Home Depot, and the faster you go the better it works.

Hey CT your still alive! Where can one find you these days?

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/12 at 11:09pm
John - Someone had a front air damn made out of rubber wheather stripping (?) or something similar from HD -did you have a hand in that? 
Jack -

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/12 at 11:29pm
I know what your talking about Jack but this is a full blown front air danm and it is not made out of weather stripping and at about 80 it really starts sucking the car to the road. Bruce has the full danm this is a tuned one for a different flow

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 12:20am
Well, it looks like it would move a lot of snow...
Jack -

Erhan View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/12 at 9:18am
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

Erhan.. how do you like your DWSs?

Loving them. They handle good. When it is wet and cold, it is not very hard to break traction during acceleration, but that is to be expected.

I can't wait for some serious snow to practice winter skills :D
2011 R56 S
Wilwood BBK, Konig feather wheels & AD08 tires, Alta FMIC, NM dischrg pipe, BC Racing coilovers, Alta 22mm rear sway & endlinks, Hsport rear cont arms, TSW xbrace, JCW steering wheel
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/12 at 4:50pm
The last three years I used Toyo Observe G-02+ studless, they were absolutely amazing! This year though, I had to hit up craigslist since they wouldn't swap over from the Mazda.

I'll be running this year on studded Hankook Winter iPikes, I'm planning on lots of innertubing and trips to Leavenworth this year : )

Started with them on the 7-Holes,

but it's not really winter-y in the Puget Sound yet and I'm going to see Gramma in Oregon next week ... yeah, that's not happening on studs!

I'm doing the red with left-over 3M pinstripe tape, fyi Smile

Edited by no.9 - December/16/12 at 5:20pm
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/12 at 5:04pm
That' is what I had on my hardtop S, very good in heavy snow, okay on ice unless they are studded.

Crikket View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crikket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/12 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by SAMSON SAMSON wrote:

I am considering Nokian winter tires for my MCS. Anyone care to weigh in on this brand?

We have Nokian Hakkapeliitaa 5's on my AWD daily driver (not a Mini) and they have performed very well.  This morning, I was grateful to have them already installed as the roads near our home were slushy.    Last year, I easily drove roads with 9 inches of snow without loss of traction. 
Glen & Linda - 07 MCS, PW, lounge, oak, all packages, bright turned R105s, carbon fiber.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12