Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back up lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back up lights
    Posted: October/24/12 at 11:27am
Since tinting my windows I can hardly see when backing up in dark areas.

I'm thinking I either need brighter backup lights, or-- and even better additional lights on the back... if there is such a thing? Something like back-up fog lights??

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

THANKS!
Ruby- 2012 Clubman, Chili Red. Plate "MINIR55"
Abbey- 2011 S Coupe, Eclipse Gray Metallic. Plate "DWNSIZD"
Dory- 2009 S Convertible, Lightening Blue Metallic, Plate "ACTLSZ"
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 11:55am
Spot lights in the back! LOL

I had them on our Discovery's roof rack when we lived in Australia. We use them to chase kangaroos Wink
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 12:46pm
I have the same problem, coupled with the fact that I'm the world's worst backer-upper.  I have a 2005 MCS (R53) so my car differs from yours, but mine came with front and rear fog lights.  The rear fog is a red-lensed light mounted in the bumper, acutually brighter than the white backup lights, so if I remember to do it when I can't see where I'm going, I flip on the rear fog lamp; helps a little. I've purchased a clear lensed replacement for the rear fog, but I haven't installed it yet.  Try the fog lamp solution, if you have one.

I've replaced the rear lamps (except the directional signal bulbs) with L.E.D.s, which I think are a little brighter, but maybe I'm just imagining they are.  The leds draw much less current than conventional bulbs, so they behave a little funny, flickering when I remotely lock and unlock the car.  Also, I've heard that they can fool your computer into believing your have a burned out bulb, but I haven't personally experienced this issue.  If you can find bulbs with higher output (wattage) with the same base as the current bulbs, you might try that, but you might run into heat problems (and I haven't been able to find the higher wattage bulbs anywhere to try this out).

Finally, as Stefano suggests, you might want to consider installing a pair (or a single) driving lights on the rear end, possibly on the bumper (?).  This would be a manually actuated light (that you'd have to remember to turn off when not in use), but it would probably solve your problems.

If you find a solution that works, please share .......... good luck, Craig
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 5:35pm
How about using the rear fog lamp port to mount a fog lamp like http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/ff50-series/ff-50-fog/

Or maybe this one?  http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/ff75-series/ff-75-fog/

You could even use the switching for the OEM FOG as a trigger circuit.

???

Edited by SMOG - October/24/12 at 5:39pm
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 2:23am
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

goddess View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 8:29am
Great ideas, thanks all!! 
BowDown

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 5:36pm
The 2002-2004 R50 and R53 owners have the worst backup problem. We have just a single center  bulb. I found a halogen replacement that helps, just a little bit, but don't leave it on for a long time or it could melt the housing. 

Sometimes I will open my side windows if I really need to see where I'm backing. 

craigsmiller View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigsmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/12 at 1:11pm
I checked out johnf36's links, and I ordered a pair of these bulbs last week:

I figured for $23 I'm willing to gamble, since electrical components usually are not returnable.  I installed the bulbs on Sunday, and I am very surprised and pleased with the results.  I already had LEDs in the backup sockets, but they were of omin-directional geometry, relying on the lamp housing to reflect the light.  The new bulbs, as the name states, are a "projector" design, with the LED in one end of an aluminum tube and a lens at the opposite end; the lens amplifies and projects the LED output rearward.  The lights are so bright that they are hard to look at directly, and they put out enough light that I can now back safely down my pitch-black driveway in the dark.  My only concern is blinding a fellow motorist, should they glance my way when I'm in reverse ........... Cool  I'm happy I went this route rather than undertaking a "science project" to mount and wire a driving light on the back of the car.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/12 at 1:39pm
Thumbs UpThumbs Up
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/12 at 1:42pm
Anyone with a 2004 or earlier MINI want to go halve-sies with me, since our cars only have one bulb?

Our car requires this 1156 mount:

valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/12 at 4:28pm
Sure, if you think it will fit- did you see the note about the bulb length?  I think mine is actually burnt out but I haven't taken the time to pull it out.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  Most often it wouldn't work in the morning but then after I had gotten to work it would come on when I was backing into the space.  Today it didn't do that, so maybe it has gone dead or maybe it is the switch in the transmission.  Either way, you get the pair and I'll buy the second one off of you.  Then maybe it will be my turn, since Stacie has an early R50 as well!

Go ahead and order; we'll discuss the exchange later.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/12 at 6:16pm
I'll measure and order if it fits. 

goddess View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/12 at 8:17am
Awesome, can you let me know??
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/12 at 11:54am
Your Clubbie and our first generation cars both have only one reversing light, but that's where the similarity ends.  Ours is in the bottom middle of the bumper cover, yours is on the passenger side in the tail/brake housing.  It may or may not take the same bulb/LED thing as ours, and the clearance is almost certainly different.  You'll have to pull it out and do your own searching.  On our housings there is quite a bit of room between the end of the bulb and the lens; I'm guessing yours is probably similar.  They design them like that so the plastic lens doesn't melt.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
no.9 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/12 at 12:53am
My stepdad says I have "young eyes" ... maybe that's why I don't feel the same visual problem with backing up @ 25% tint? LOL What percent are you guys using?

Anyway, cool thread. I hope those LEDs work for you guys. I went ahead and found a yellow bulb to try out, just to be different I guess. The reasoning being that I did yellow foglights already.
<-- CJ - '04 Cooper
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/12 at 4:45pm
I haven't bought the lights yet... something else seems to always come up. 

Post Reply Post Reply