Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I get rally lights installed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRedReverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I get rally lights installed?
    Posted: March/20/13 at 12:57pm
I'm a new MINI owner and am looking for a place to get some rally lights installed. The dealer informs me that they're only allowed to install 2 lights and that they have to be linked to the high beams. I'm thinking 4 lights at least, and I'd like to be able to control them myself, high beams or not. I'm not a gear head, so I'm looking for a place where I can take the car and drink coffee while they do all the hard work!

I'm in Puyallup, but would be willing to drive for a place with a good recommendation.

ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/13 at 5:35pm
So, legally you cannot run rally or driving lights when high beams would also be illegal. This is why the MINI install connects them to the high beams. Also, the MINI driving light kit only has 2 lights. Additionally, and this makes sense, the MINI kit kills the fog lights when the high beams are on so you can't run the MINI kit and your fogs at the same time. All drawbacks really to the MINI kit but it forces you follow the laws. Also, the MINI kit isn't very bright. I've used mine maybe 5 times with only 1 or 2 of those times it providing much benefit. I got them for the looks though which is why I went stock.

If you don't use the MINI kit the toggle switch just gets mounted inside the cabin somewhere and you can flip them on whenever you want. There are a number of people here who have installed them so expect plenty of replies.

Just wanted to provide some background on why the MINI kit works the way it does.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/13 at 11:06am
I have the Mini installed DL Kit but took the lamps out immediately and replaced them with Hella 500 lamps.  Brighter and I use them to light up the edges of the road that the Xenon High Beams do not get.  Pretty useful for country driving when you want to find animals, or people, wandering along the dge of the road.

I also installed auxiliary fogs.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
TheRedReverend View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheRedReverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/13 at 1:51pm
Thanks for the background, ipeverywhere. It's good to know the law so you know how to break it properly! Seriously though, I'm a big fan of obeying the law, but want the lights under my control.

And Hella 500s are exactly what I have in mind SMOG. I just need someone to hook me up.

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/13 at 3:34pm
I believe there are "How To's" on Outmotoring.com

I used the VIP light Bar because it was much more beefy to take the extra weight of the lamps.  I also used the Outmotoring Mid-Mount Lamp Brackets.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
 Post Reply Post Reply