Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headlamps Plug and Play?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlamps Plug and Play?
    Posted: February/11/13 at 10:02pm
Just bought a set of xenon headlamps from a 2004 MCS. Guy upgraded to projection headlamps. I didnt get the washers with them but I can always add it later. So can I install and use these now or do I need to get a dealer to load some software?
2005 MINI R53, WMW 15%, M7 Sport Springs, M7 Tower Brace, Hotchkis Camber Plates, Powerflex controlarm bushings/engine mounts, Koni Yellows, Alta Rear CA's, ALTA 19mm RearSway.
"I am my own warranty."
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/13 at 10:04pm
I believe you need to configure the car. I have a software that can probably do this.
Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/13 at 8:01pm
what kind of software? 
2005 MINI R53, WMW 15%, M7 Sport Springs, M7 Tower Brace, Hotchkis Camber Plates, Powerflex controlarm bushings/engine mounts, Koni Yellows, Alta Rear CA's, ALTA 19mm RearSway.
"I am my own warranty."
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/13 at 8:22pm
NCSExpert.
bchaltraw View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchaltraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/13 at 10:04pm
Speaking of headlight problems. My drivers side just started blinking out when I hit bumps.. Checked the wires with no success. I can turn the lights off and back on and comes right back. Any Ideas? I am thinking Xenon igniter?? Kurt didn't you put projection headlamps on your 03?
03MCS RMW 1.63L,1000CC Injectors,RMW Turbo Kit,H+E,JCW Brakes,CAI, Polys,Strut plates,Coilsovers,,22MM rear, AST Coil overs Swift springs, 3" exht, Oil Cooler, 15x8 rims, Alpine PDX5,SPX17Pro,10'R!
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/13 at 10:12pm
It could be the igniter. 

I have 2004 MINI, I put post-facelift 05-06 xenon projectors on with the Joey mod (painted inside of headlamps). Going from pre- to post-facilift xenons is a bolt-on mod, no computer work required if your car is already a xenon car. 

I have been seeing a bunch of pre-facelift xenons going for sale on NAM lately. Keep an eye out.. I think the igniter is part of the headlamp so not cheap to replace new. 
bchaltraw View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bchaltraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/13 at 10:20pm
I have factory xenon's so maybe I should just jump on to the 05-06 lights. Know they look pretty good. You going to Edgefield in April?
03MCS RMW 1.63L,1000CC Injectors,RMW Turbo Kit,H+E,JCW Brakes,CAI, Polys,Strut plates,Coilsovers,,22MM rear, AST Coil overs Swift springs, 3" exht, Oil Cooler, 15x8 rims, Alpine PDX5,SPX17Pro,10'R!
Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/13 at 10:40am
Is it flickering? Sorta like when a light bulb has a lose filament? If so then its the ignitor going out. 

"I am my own warranty."
Therapy View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Therapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/13 at 1:33am
I just left the garage after doing some work on another project. Figured Id do something on the MINI. So I went ahead and busted the multimeter out and checked the pins on the connectors for the halogen and xenon headlamp housings. Turned out they use the same pins for ground, lo beams, hi beams. Which was what was driving me crazy to begin with because when I would plug the xenons into my car the hi beams would work but the lo beams would never come on. Well tonight when I plugged the xenons in they worked. So it looks like the lights themselves are plug and play. As for the other options I will have to run new wiring harness if I want to be able to use the levelers and the washers. 

As for now.... Im going to bed and getting some sleep. Smile
"I am my own warranty."
 Post Reply Post Reply