Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Membership - New Member Introductions > Let Me Introduce Myself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello and Good Morning!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amunson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello and Good Morning!
    Posted: July/04/16 at 10:07am
Happy Independence day!

My daughter is 15 and in a few months will be on the road! She had been looking for her first car for a few months, she knew she would love a Mini but they were way out of our budget so she was looking at other cars.Well she must be doing something right because a Cooper came to us and it is even the color she wanted! However, the reason why it was so inexpensive is the Auto trans needs to be rebuilt or replaced. We are hoping someone can help or knows someone who can. 

Special thanks to Diana, her husband and friends! We met them at the Lemay Drive-in movie night last month and she gave us her card and told us about the club. Good job!

We are looking forward to making new friends and enjoying some fun driving adventures!
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/16 at 5:56am
My guess is that you picked up the Silk Green one that was for sale in Lake Tapps (I troll craigslist for MINIs just for fun).

BuyAutoParts.com has (new?) CVT transmissions for around 4k which is actually a pretty good price.  Change the CVT fluid every 25k and you should get a pretty long life out of it.  Shop around and you might find a rebuilt cheaper but make sure you buy from a reputable place- you don't want to bother with one from a backyard rebuilder on this one, and don't bother with a used one either.

If you are mechanically inclined and patient swapping out a transmission actually isn't too difficult.  Do the bushings and ball joints while you are in there and the MINI will feel like new.

Swapping in a 5 or 6 speed manual is an option but the level of difficulty greatly increases.  Look at this as a learning experience and you and or your daughter will feel incredibly proud every time you drive the MINI.

That said, I can lend you my transmission jack- you'll need it for both the subframe and transmission.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
 Post Reply Post Reply