Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussions > MINI Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help- please look at your A/C controls for me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help- please look at your A/C controls for me!
    Posted: July/02/15 at 2:17pm
Stacie's got a pretty cool car- except for when it's this hot out!  Checked numerous things to see why her A/C isn't working- fuses (2) good, A/C compressor coil good (~6 ohms or so) but I did notice that her indicator light on the A/C button is flashing.  She's got the standard controls (with the three knobs across, not the center temp display and dial) and it's been so long since the A/C has worked that I don't remember if the indicator is steady on when it is working or if the flashing is normal or indicates some fault.

If you've got an R50/53 with these controls please have a look today.  Thanks!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/15 at 3:25pm

I have the 'other' type of controls, but in the Owner's Manual showing the 3-dial system, it says the "LED is lit when the cooling function is on."  I've got to think that means it's not normal for it to flash.

It also says there's an "integrated microfilter" that needs to be replaced periodically, so maybe the flashing light is telling you that it needs replacing???  Hoping it's that easy!

Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/15 at 5:36pm
Bruce, I too have the standard basic controls for my AC.  The little green LED in the snowflake button always stays on w/o a flicker.  What a time to have AC problems.  The Bentley manual indicates a resistor pack on the passenger side of the heater/AC unit.  Maybe check that?  Hopefully you will be able to trace something down and it's not an intermittent problem.  My 2 cents.
5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/15 at 1:31pm
Thanks Dave- I thought the blinking light was not the proper condition.  I have the auto-A/C controls so I couldn't compare to my car.  The fan blows, it just blows hot air.

It's actually been out for almost two years but the last two summers haven't been as brutal as this summer.  I know you are supposed to have your A/C serviced almost immediately if it goes warm so we are bracing for a big repair bill.  Hopefully it will just be a recharge and not a compressor and dryer!

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
MINIMNT View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MINIMNT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/15 at 3:46pm
Stacie's logged in so I will post as her- got a 20 oz can of freon 134a and added as per the directions.  Very low on the gauge to start but then compressor kicked on as it filled.  Stopped at about 35psi and can felt empty.  Cold air!  And A/C indicator was lit steady at that point.

We'll see how long this lasts.  If I could get away with one can a year I'd be happy.

Bruce

2003 Silk Green Girly MINI - married to Napoleon II (valvashon)
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/15 at 10:39am
Good job Bruce. I know growing up none of our cars had AC and I really didn't start considering it an issue.  Now it would be brutal without it.
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
dna1095 View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dna1095 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/15 at 3:29am
I will be taking on that project on my r53 this up coming weekend is going to be a long one A/C compressor Condenser and dryer; think I will also grade my pulley to 16 or 17%. I is going to be interesting!!!

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/15 at 6:50am
I'm waiting to collect funds to replace my coil.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
mlgod2002! View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlgod2002! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/15 at 7:25pm
As a Factory trained mini tech. The most common issue is the connector valves where you hook the a/c machine the seals leak. And the a/c light should stay on solid if it is blinking it is low on Freon. I also own a 2009 mini and my own shop. Fleetline Automotive and Fabrication in Tacoma.
 Post Reply Post Reply