Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How can I be sure that JCW ECU map is on after a n
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can I be sure that JCW ECU map is on after a n

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisco_vazgarcia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I be sure that JCW ECU map is on after a n
    Posted: October/16/14 at 1:20pm
Dear all,

I own a Mini Cooper S R56 (manufactured 06/2007) with the engine JCW kit (installed 07/2007). Recently I had my ECU unit replaced due to a fault in an official Mini dealer. Since then I feel that the car's performance has decreased. I cannot manage the same top speed as before for instance.
I contacted the dealer who told me that the chassis number will tell the system that the car has a JCW kit and install the right ECU map, they connected my car to the system and showed me that the JCW kit was associated with the chassis. When they installed the new ECU they did not ask me for the CD that came with the kit and has the map. 

The truth is that the performance is different. It is worth to mention that the car is totally stock and always has been apart from the kit, it has new oil, spark plugs and air filter. It has done ~74.000 km.

How can I be sure that the map is there?
I read some forums and there are several cases of Cooper S with the JCW kit that lose the map after an update (which exactly what was done to mine as all the software had to be installed from scratch?).

Thank you very much and best regards,

Francisco
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/14 at 2:30pm
For 2007 they were still burning CDs in Germany and shipping them to the dealers. I'm not sure if they still need to do that on a '07 or if can send the map in e-mail which is the "current" way.

Now, they may have very well and probably installed the proper map by just getting the file in e-mail since they can do this without the CD. If that is the case then I don't know how else to verify. It could also be that the map from '07 is different from the one they flashed recently even though both are a "JCW" map. I'm mostly getting in over my head here but wanted to pass along that they actually don't use the CDs anymore.

francisco_vazgarcia View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisco_vazgarcia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/14 at 2:44pm
Thank you very much for your answer. As far as I know they did not receive anything by email. They said that the computer recognizes the car has the kit by the chassis and flashes the correct ecu map.
I have the Cd and they did not ask for it.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/14 at 6:08am
Make sure you mark the CD and then give it to them and insist they use it with the stipulation you want the CD back when they fix your MINI.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/14 at 9:33am
Tell us, exactly, just how you know that top speed has been limited?  WooHoo

You might consider a trip south to CA and have Jan perform his magic with a custom tune.  Most likely he would find some power, as some here can attest, not that I would know anything about that.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
francisco_vazgarcia View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francisco_vazgarcia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/14 at 11:33am
Thank you for your answer. My car is in Portugal so it is a bit far away from there. Smile
I know it has changed as before the would manage 242 km/h quite easily and then limit. Now it does not get to that unless I find a descent and finally the limiter is at 241, not 242 as before.
Not that I try this very often, it is just an indicator that the performance as decreased
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/14 at 4:45pm
Oops, I didn't catch that address.

Jan is the only "independent" that any of us know about, I believe, who has the smarts and computer to give a straight answer on your topic.  Maybe he needs a vacation.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/14 at 6:28pm
It does sound like you have a different map than what was on the car before.
I believe the JCW had a different redline and I know it would have had different fuel maps and probably timing maps as well. 

I believe Hank Moore in Spokane can tune using the ByteTronik FullAccess platform.  (Advanced Auto Fabrication - well known as the area's most successful front wheel drive racer with MINI racing experience as well) He may be able to tune other platforms as well. 

Jan can also do a remote tune if you purchase a dongle from him and get the car to a dynamometer. 
 Post Reply Post Reply