Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Performance Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to tighten up an aftermarket muffler?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to tighten up an aftermarket muffler?
    Posted: September/14/10 at 6:24pm
Hi - I just installed an aftermarket Milltek exhaust. Sounds great, looks great... but it slides from side to side quite a bit when I go around corners. When I park the car after a drive, the exhaust is always off to one side. 

Does anyone have any tips for how to firm up the exhaust to prevent it from sliding from side to side so much? 
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/10 at 12:34am
Not to sound stupid , but are all 4 of the hangers being used ?? 
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/10 at 9:33pm
Yes, all four hanger are being used. 
However - I had to pick up a couple aftermarket hangers because for my 2004 Mini Cooper S stock exhaust, there is only a resonator on one side. (Weird.) The hooks are there but one of the rubber exhaust hangers was not present. 
The hangers I got are functionally identical. Same hole distance and diameter. I got two just in case, so there would be identical tension on both left and right sides, but there was still a lot of lateral motion. 

Ok, so I ended up using a couple of zip ties to pull on the rubber hangers and get a bit of tension in the system. The exhaust is not sliding around anymore, but it's a definite kludge... 

Also, I noticed that some MINIs have the two inboard hangers with the hooks in the fore/aft orientation. Mine is in a left/right orientation. Probably exacerbates the problem. 

By the way, I get a pretty good performance boost with this exhaust. And below 3000RPM it sounds very much like the stock exhaust - pretty civilized. But open 'er up and it's like music to my ears. . . 

Some pictures: 

Edited by khammo01 - September/15/10 at 9:36pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/10 at 12:10am
That is why I asked Kurt, After 04 they changed the mounts. You my need to pick up a couple of the stock mounts.

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Post Reply Post Reply