Forum Home Forum Home > Shopping Mall > MINIs For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm thinking about selling my Mini

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm thinking about selling my Mini
    Posted: December/02/13 at 9:48pm
but haven't a clue what it is worth.

2006 S/JCW (all JCW packages when built), including engine, trans (6 speed) brakes and suspension.
Aero Kit
Hyper blue with silver painted stripes.  Front stripes fade by the time they reach the windshield, and front of the roof fading to the rear.
Custom John friend engine brace (a work of art), custom scan gauge mount, and THE VERY FIRST, ORIGINAL license plate badge mount, originally drawn up by me and cut/manufactured by John.  Do NOT believe the go-mini-go claim that they were the first.  They weren't.
Carbon fiber hood scoop (and the original blue one - thinking about putting the stripes on it).
Mini-do-more hitch system.
Sport seats.
Front Camber Plates and adjustable rear lower control arms.
Coil overs
85000 miles, give or take
No sunroof
Alta 2% pulley
Car was hit on right side by a road rager and tagged on the left by an idiot.
Rear seats removed and a custom panel installed with storage pockets.  I still have the rear seats.
There are a lot of other bits installed - the flashing CHMSL, glove box thing, auto up windows, DSC off switch, cargo net and storage box thing.
In a couple of days, the car will have a NEW power steering pump and fan (Mini's are NOT like my dad's Buick...)

Kelley Blue Book doesn't have things like the Aero Kit or rear hitch system, but it says about $12,000.  I couldn't find any 2006 Minis on Autotrader, and haven't really started searching any of the forums (that's next).

Thoughts?

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 6:53am
What is wrong with you?
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 8:49am
Ahh - good question.  Basically I am tired. Very tired of the arrogance of the manufacturer, and German manufacturers overall.  Go back to the post by the person looking for a Bothell area mechanic, and the frustration you feel in the post has been adding up to me.  Adding up for a long time admittedly, and also not just at Mini.

My power steering pump has failed.  It is the SAME pump and fan setup that has been installed on all Gen-1 cars.  Yet the manufacturer got sued by a group of people whose latest model was 2005.  So after fighting the suit and a recall by NHTSA, BMW agreed to fix or reimburse on cars up thru the 2005 model year.  ARROGANT!  I have 85000 miles on my car.  I've had power steering pumps on many American cars last longer than the car!  My old Chev truck had a pump go out at almost 300,000 miles.  I went to the junk yard and found one on a truck with 100,000+ for $25 which worked until the truck was scrapped.  And a new one was less than the crappy little fan that cools the pump (design problem here?). On the Mini, this is a $1,200 fix!  Really!  I paid $725 for a remanufactured pump, and another $125 for my 3rd tiny little fan motor!

$1,800 for a new JCW header?  The original one broke  at the cat just after 50,000 miles.  I tried to get it rewelded, but the design made it impossible.  I went to a header (thanks, Mitch!). 

How about the oft replaced upper motor mount?

This isn't entirely the Mini's fault - it is a combination of the same sort of attitude from VW, Audi, Porsche and BMW.  I have loved all of my German cars, but have had to learn to fix them all because otherwise the cars became quite pricey to deal with.  I'm also not able to get up off the floor (yes - I use a cardboard creeper) like I used to, and ask Mitch if that doesn't seem to make me crankier as I can't get one of those dang Oetikler clamps off.

The power steering rack used in the Gen-1 cars is the SAME rack used in the E 30 and E 36 cars.  Good luck getting any kind of assistance with that as well when it fails.

Harley just introduced a major rethink on the 2014 models.  In testing, a clutch part performed just fine.  In production, the clutch manufacturer couldn't maintain the quality.  The result - Harley recalled EVERY SINGLE 2014 model with that clutch and installed a fix.  They paid the dealers to go out with a trailer and pick up every bike, and once the fix was done, trailered the bike back to the owner.  But have a 2006 or 2007 Mini with the same problem as all earlier Gen-1 cars and the arrogant manufacturer says TS because they weren't forced to repair that year of car.

Frankly, I wouldn't expect that kind of recall action by ANY manufacturer, but it did drive home a point to me that I have grumped about since I first started driving German cars.  Part of the reason I gave up teaching at high performance driver's ed events is rooted in German arrogance and the regular failure of a tiny part that caused the loss of coolant on the track.  Any idea how slick that stuff is?  "But you bought a Porsche intended for the STREET, not a true racing machine" was the response, and though the proper part is installed on the Euro versions (Ve haf de owtobaaaahn heer, und your leemit is 70 MPH afterall!).  Oh yeah!

Also, since I have given up the track driving, I have become increasingly frustrated with the stick in stop and go traffic, and thinking about Kurt's pictures of his work installing a clutch.

I can go on and on about this (again - ask Mitch), but as much as I love the looks and handling of the Mini, I am probably moving to a Honda or Ford.  I'm afraid that I have lost what it takes to appreciate Mini (and other German marques) ownership.

Hope that answers the question.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 9:12am
Pat, the decision is one I have been pondering myself.  Add a local dealership instead of the drive to Fife or worse, Bothel, and Honda or Ford look like better for the elderly like myself.

I would miss the handling and that is the only reason I keep the MINI's...

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 9:35am
Oh blasphemy!

Just kidding. All good points. I'm not totally trouble free but I still love the car. I have seriously been thinking of letting her go before anything "new" pops up. If you've owned your MINI for over 5 years I'm sure you've stood in the garage and just wondered what to do next. Every time I read a little bit more about the 2014 F56 it really makes me think these cars should be leased. Why lease? Because they are becoming more and more disposable. If half the fun is tinkering then Pat, the Germans probably don't want you anymore. Rumors are already flying that the ECU on the F56 has a higher level of encryption and protections to keep people out. A 3 year/36,000 mile no touch service warranty matches up perfectly with a 3 year lease and then it's somebody else's problem. <sigh> Sad really but almost seems like they've been planting this seed for a very long time.

But what about the car club? Part of the fun is the deep knowledge going back to the start of the brand. We are a decade in and people can't afford to keep their cars on the road! That just kills me! It kills me because I know once that knowledge is gone is stays gone for a very long time. I really don't want to see it go. I know half a dozen or more really great MINI folks who are now in a Porsche and part of that is simply not having to deal with MINI anymore.

To answer your question.. what is it worth? I really don't know. There is a very large MINI community on Facebook now and I'd probably ask there and then Motoring Alliance. Someone, somewhere, wants to keep your absolutely gorgeous R56 on the road. Let me know if you'd like me to ask around. Also, start looking at a F56 lease =) You know you want to keep a MINI! It's Just the wrong time of year for you to be riding that Harley.

Also, let me know if you want to take the GP for a spin. Maybe it will renew your enthusiasm for the brand. It really is a monster of a package and comes with a warranty.

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 9:45am
Thanks, Ryan.  I'm not totally moving away from the rewards and punishment of owning a Mini.  We will still have the red car.  And if I do sell (still working thru that part - Honda, really?), I will probably get an easy to store lift like SMOG's so I can use my real creeper while working on Jo's car or other Minis.

The more I work thru this, the more my reluctance to sell the Mini is melting away.  I'm not moving away from the club yet - Jo loves her car and she doesn't have to crawl around on the floor to fix stuff.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 10:32am
Maybe we just need to find someone who can mold you a custom carbon fiber creeper? Then you wouldn't need to get up :P "So comfy I can sleep here."
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 11:22am
I think it is time for an intervention.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 11:32am
The Germans have not historically been known to taken suggestion, oh!  Are you taking about PatWink and not the dealerships??  Tracked vehicle guys are pretty straight tinkers.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
BurnerS View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BurnerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 12:05pm
if you buy a prius I will personally come to your house and SMACK you..Just saying!! sad to see that you have so many issues..
you deserve good service and the MFG should follow up like Harley did!
I still love my 2013 clubby.. lease is good for 3 yrs ..then we will see!!!

New 2013 Clubby S - JCW Engine tune - JCW Brake Kit - JCW Exhaust - JCW Cold Air Intake - Lowered - Racing Wheels
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 3:34pm
Rob: Steve (SMOG) is right, if he means armored cav guys are pretty straight tHinkers rather than straight Stinkers, though after 4 or five days in the field, probably the latter is more correct.

Stephen (SMOG):  Straight tHinkers mostly because turning required some advance thinking...  Straight Stinkers - see above.

Steve (BurnerS):  No worries.  No Prius or Fit, but lots of folk think those are wonderful cars.  Just not me.  I'm probably heading for a small pickup with 4WD or AWD, air and an automatic.

Update on the power steering pump replacement.  The reman pump arrived last night, and I just picked up a replacement hose for the one bonded to the old pump by heat.  Total so far in parts is $797.34.  Stunning, really.  Still need to get the Pentosin CHS11 fluid.  The SPAL fan part is another $125 some.  Took Mitch and me two and a half hours getting the old pump out (mostly trying to get the return hose off, and trying to find a couple of screwdrivers the aliens took.  After the aliens were done with the screwdrivers, they returned them to the partly full oil drain pan next to where Mitch was working.  Dang aliens...).  I don't think the install will take quite that long though.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 4:28pm
Yep, straight thinkers since your life depended on your wrenching abilities and not having something break and leave you in a not so desirable location...

And correct again about Stinkers.  Our longest time out was 45 days and I know for a fact that we could have been smelled before you could identify the source of the stenchILL

Think Honda Si if you want small and speed AND a local dealership, or would that be Area 57?  Those places, with luck, have screens in the waste oil catch drums.
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 6:26pm
Let me know if you want help putting the pump on. I'll try to leave the aliens home this time. I could do Thursday night.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/13 at 8:00pm
Thanks, Mitch!

Don't worry about the aliens.  I don't think they are your aliens.  We have been dealing with them for years.  You're cool.

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow.  The ridiculously expensive fan which will last about 5 months should be here tomorrow so I might just have it buttoned up before Thursday.  BTW - the little 14 inch by 1 inch hose,  which was irrevocably heat-bonded to the pump, was $62.50 with the club discount.  I was so giddy over finding that the Mini dealer actually had this part in stock (remember, my car is a 2006 model, not a 2005 or earlier car) that I sprung for their 2 stainless hose clamps.

So this isn't so bad.  With bandaids, a couple of beers, lunch and an oil change while I'm at it, I will get out of my own shop for a bit over a grand.  Can't imagine what I was complaining about...

So we might have to meet at the Whistlestop for a brew on Thursday instead (and I hope...) 

Then anybody with about $13Gs can drive this puppy home on Friday!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/13 at 7:27am
Good luck! Thursday I'll be coming from Everett so I'll text you with what time might work for Whistlestop.  Then maybe we can go test drive that Ford 500 that you've been eyeing.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
imaking View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/13 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Harley just introduced a major rethink on the 2014 models.  In testing, a clutch part performed just fine.  In production, the clutch manufacturer couldn't maintain the quality.  The result - Harley recalled EVERY SINGLE 2014 model with that clutch and installed a fix.  They paid the dealers to go out with a trailer and pick up every bike, and once the fix was done, trailered the bike back to the owner.  But have a 2006 or 2007 Mini with the same problem as all earlier Gen-1 cars and the arrogant manufacturer says TS because they weren't forced to repair that year of car.

The Harley also costs as much as a new MINI LOL

Not trying to throw salt on a wound - just a little tongue in cheek.
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/13 at 4:53pm
Ouch.  You're killing me Pat.  Here I can't get my mind off the MINI and keep thinking about returning.  I can't disagree with anything you say though.  The challenge is no other car puts a smile on your face like a MINI, even at slow speeds.

Dagnabit

Maybe I just keep my R for now and convince my wife to let me buy an early R53 as a toy/track car some day.

By the way, I know you're anti German but I still owe you a ride/drive in the R.  It's tuned now and it's a hoot (come meet Mitch and I for lunch Wink ).

Cheers!
Todd
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/13 at 5:41pm
Mitch - you might be on.  I can't get that freakin' hose on by myself!!!  Aaarrrrggh.

Good to hear from you Todd.  I do need that ride.  Hopefully on a dry day!

Mitch - how 'bout a Club Van?
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/13 at 12:06pm
Got the hose on - both ends thankfully.  Pump is in, steering works fine.  We're now on the 3rd day of 2 day shipping for that silly, but expensive, SPAL fan part.

Wow that was fun...

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/13 at 1:46am
$797.34 total for the parts and that's you doing the labor? Ouch!! Ouch I'm sorry that you're considering leaving the MINI family, but I can't say that I blame you. I don't understand how the recall is only up to 2005. My MINI is of course a 2006 like yours Pat. I guess I'm not included in the recall also?

I have been very, very lucky…. I have not had to replace the steering pump yet, but I do hear a protesting whine here and there. I haven't replaced the fluid either, but I do have a can of the Pentosin fluid sitting in the garage. I bought it a while ago hoping to flush out the old fluid. My husband and I are kind of at a loss as to how to flush the system, so the fluid has been siting for months.
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/13 at 4:40pm
Oh no... never thought I'd hear this. 

But I can understand your thought process. The MINI is a super fun car (especially the R53) but not a terribly reliable car (especially the R53). And parts are the opposite of cheap. Most of the things that have gone wrong on my car are stuff that I did - aftermarket parts or race track driving, putting far more wear on the car than usual. The MINI is super fun on the track, but compared to a Porsche or BMW, is not designed to be be driven like that for extended periods. The MINI is plenty fast, but seems to work harder doing it. 
My latest mechanical frustration is a clunking noise out the left front that won't go away. I've replaced all the bushings, wheel bearing, shock, and the noise is still there. Not sure if it's just because the suspension is so firm or if the steering rack is going out. 

I drive my car harder than probably anyone other than Pat, and I don't mind tinkering to improve performance of the car or general maintenance, but it is frustrating to have to repair something because of poor design. On my car it's the belt tensioner. I've replaced it twice. I'm using an Alta fixed tensioner now worried it will cause something else to break. 
And as a daily driver, the MINI can get tiresome sometimes - it's such a 'busy car' , as my wife puts it. 

I recently traded in the Honda Pilot, which I hated, for a 2nd generation Acura MDX, which I love a lot, for different reasons than I love the MINI. While it doesn't pretend to be a MINI or even a regular car, it handles great for its size and boy is it comfortable, plus it has all the bells and whistles that the MINI doesn't have. I find myself going back and forth between the two cars to keep things fresh. 

So best of both worlds - I don't have to sell the MINI and I get keep the miles off the MINI if I'm in the mood for something else.

Oh, and my wife has a Prius. I tried to talk her out of it. I really did. 3 series wagon, VW Jetta wagon, heck even a Mazda would have been better. 

But I gave in on that one as there is some mutual benefit - she saves gasoline in daily driving and I get to burn it up at the track! 

Picture of Acura MDX: 

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/13 at 5:29pm
Hiya Brenda - I'll PM you on the flush.  No really easy way to do it except get really dirty, oily and frustrated.

Kurt - you now have the crown on driving harder as I have given up doing that.  I'm pretty sure you drove harder even before I retired.  To say the least, you worked the hardest of anybody I've ever seen getting your techniques and lines down. 

One thing that has bugged a couple of us is the torque on the top nut on the struts.  Tiny bit loose and you get an AWFUL knock.  I bought some crowfoot wrenches so I could torque the nut while holding the shaft with a hex.  3 months later - loose again.  Hate to use loctite, but can't think of anything else.  Give that a check and see if it helps your noise.

I'm in the process of going thru the car - new bushings for the rear sway bar, change the fuel filter, fix that funny leaky O-ring on the front of the motor, fix the rear fog lamp and a couple of other little things, then on the block.  I still have the Red car for frustrating issues, so I'll still be a happy Mini owner after the blue car is gone.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/13 at 5:36pm
Thanks Pat. I checked the strut top nut. No difference. I even replaced the entire strut assembly - no difference. Starting to worry if the rack has gone out. It's the only thing I haven't replaced. I've tugged and pried on everything, on the ground and off, and nothing seems loose. 

Edited by CORNERS - December/21/13 at 5:38pm
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/13 at 11:08am
I don't know what I would do without the freely shared knowledge available here. You guys rock!
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
Pawsome View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pawsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/13 at 4:40pm
Pat: You've very well articulated pretty much how I feel about owning the car (and not necessarily the car itself). I've had to deal with a bunch of issues over the last two years and although I kept telling myself "price of admission", it's been tiring. I've had the car for 6 years now and the car has been a lot of fun.

While I am still not ready to go for a Nismo 370z or a Subaru BRZ, I am fairly certain that my next car isn't going to be a MINI. This one, I plan to keep for as long as I can but after that, a Porsche is what I want. I am sure the 981/911 will come with its own set of challenges :\
25percentbritish View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25percentbritish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/14 at 10:18pm
Pat,

Wait, don't sell yet, I have great news. Evidently, given the success of the VTEC conversion kit for the classic Mini, there is one in the works for BMW MINI.

http://vtec.minimania.com/

Overall, you're sure to get Honda reliability, lower part cost and availability at your local Auto Zone store.

There is one catch, before you do this, you'll to box up and send in all the Engine Control Modules related items listed below so BMW MINI will recognize the Honda VTEC Engine:

1) Key
2) Engine Control Module
3) ABS module
4) Instrument Cluster
5) Body Control Module
6) Anti Theft
7) Air Bag Control Unit

Dave
2003 Chili Red R50
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/14 at 11:07pm
I gotta love you  Dave.  There is hope for me yet, tho not the VTEC engine route (not that brave).

As I am fixing/maintaining/cleaning/restoring bits and pieces getting the car ready for sale, I am being haunted by the thought of being Mini-less.  Yes, we do have Jo's car, but it is s-l-o-w compared to my car.  I am cleaning things that make the car mine - the little Griot's box stuck on the headliner.  The John Friend manufactured Scangauge mount and his beautiful engine damper, and yes - the first, original license plate badge mount designed by me, made by John, and stolen for manufacture by a former club member and owner of an Oly based auto goodie company (I know - not patentable and not rocket science). 

There are lots of other things too - Mitch and I replaced the fuel filter (wear safety glasses when you unhook the fuel line) and had to take out my simple but really nice rear deck where the seats used to be.  My special device which keeps drinks from tumbling out of the center console cupholder when cornering in a spirited manner.  The custom painted stripes.  The dippy little conversation starting vortex generators from the time when we were all trying to figure out how to keep the rear of the car cleaner.

So while I am still furious at the arrogance of German manufacturers, appalled and overwhelmed by some of the engineering, I do love my car. 

But my key quit working.  I am still set on selling. 

Maybe.  We'll see.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/14 at 11:18pm
The little MINI is fighting for its life! :-) 

italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/14 at 4:41am
Sometimes you gotta di what you gotta do..

:(
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/14 at 6:19am
Pat, is it possible to just bypass the key entirely or is it tied into the ECU in such a way as to make a regular key and a push button impossible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>