Forum Home Forum Home > Shopping Mall > MINIs For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm thinking about selling my Mini

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/14 at 7:06pm
Kurt - you're killing me.  I do hear it talking...

Stefano - I just don't know what to do.

Stephen - there is a ring antenna around where you insert the key.  It energizes a chip in the key which disengages the immobilizer and allows the car to start.  I'm not sure trying to change this around won't create more problems, with all the can-bus systems and all.

I'm calling the dealer, clutching desperately at my wallet, hoping I'm not in for another grand or so.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 6:30am
Good luck with the "Clutching desperately at my wallet" while walking through the door of the dealership!

When cars went from toggle switches and push buttons to the almighty computers of today we progressively lost control of our vehicles.  All the electronic nannies come at a cost, as I am sure you are well aware!

Wait until they come out with a MINI that steers itself and all you have to do is get behind the wheel and take a nap....

Post your findings pleaseSmile
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 3:18pm
Well guess what.  In order to get a new key (which is what is needed as they state the battery is dead and cannot be replaced, once again proof of the arrogant German manufacturer attitude - You should not drive the car after 50,000 miles.  You should get another Mini, even though they have become very ugly), I need to show my drivers license and proof of ownership BEFORE they will order a key.  How freaking convenient.  So after some calling of bullsh*t (like I'm going to drive down to Tacoma to show my license and registration BEFORE I get to place an order), they agreed to let me fax or email the information to them.  Mr. personality on the phone, when asked if I could identify myself and my car after the key arrived and before they gave it to me just flat repeated himself "I have to verify your identity and ownership BEFORE I can order the key".  I asked what is behind the policy, and Mr. personality repeated himself again.

I GET IT! 

STUPID POLICY!

STUPID CUSTOMER SERVICE!

The service writer told me they could order the key if I could give them my card info, but she also told me that the key wouldn't have to be programmed or matched to my car.  Hope she's right about the second half...

And here I was starting to think I would keep my car...
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 3:33pm
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  As a CPA who makes a living stressing the importance of proper checks and balances to help prevent fraud, I am glad that they have that policy.  I would not want someone requesting a key for my car without proper authentication.  I also suspect you would run into that issue with any brand of vehicle.

I know you are being wooed by the comfort, ride quality and luxury of that Ford 500, but I think ONRAMP license plates make more sense on a MINI than a big sedan. Besides, you'll miss us.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 3:43pm
Don't get me wrong - I do think it is a good idea to make sure I still own the car and that I am who I say I am.  The last time I needed a key, they took my bankcard, ordered it, and when it came in, called me and reminded me to bring my current registration and drivers license.  Not a problem.  But now telling me I have to do that before they order the key?  Nope - stupid policy.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 3:48pm
If someone put a battery in we can take the battery out. Valvashon might be able to help as he's cracked one of those keys open in support this project right here.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Well guess what.  In order to get a new key (which is what is needed as they state the battery is dead and cannot be replaced, once again proof of the arrogant German manufacturer attitude - You should not drive the car after 50,000 miles.  You should get another Mini, even though they have become very ugly), I need to show my drivers license and proof of ownership BEFORE they will order a key.  How freaking convenient.  So after some calling of bullsh*t (like I'm going to drive down to Tacoma to show my license and registration BEFORE I get to place an order), they agreed to let me fax or email the information to them.  Mr. personality on the phone, when asked if I could identify myself and my car after the key arrived and before they gave it to me just flat repeated himself "I have to verify your identity and ownership BEFORE I can order the key".  I asked what is behind the policy, and Mr. personality repeated himself again.

I GET IT! 

STUPID POLICY!

STUPID CUSTOMER SERVICE!

The service writer told me they could order the key if I could give them my card info, but she also told me that the key wouldn't have to be programmed or matched to my car.  Hope she's right about the second half...

And here I was starting to think I would keep my car...

Not so fast!  As the resident self appointed key expert, I have done my research on MINI keys.  Two button clamshell type key?  Bring it on over.  Three button key?  Contact the first link below.  I asked them one time if they did MINI keys and they said yes; they have subsequently added MINI keys to their website:

The next link also does three button key repair; I have not asked if they do MINI keys:

From 2001 (European models) to 2004 MINIs used keys that originated with a Rover design; the same circuit boards and fob shapes were also found on Range Rovers and the Rover 75.  These keys used a CR 2032 lithium battery and were easy to pop open and the battery was easy to replace.

In 2005, with the refresh, they started using a key that was basically the BMW three button key in a different case.  The induction ring on these charges the re-chargeable battery until the battery dies.  It can be replaced but it is soldered to the board and the shell is tricky to open as it is sonically welded together.  I don't have that experience so I'm suggesting you at least let the place in the first link have a look at it.

I also agree with their policy about showing proof of ownership and proof of who you are before they will hand over a key.  MINIs are rarely stolen and this is probably part of the reason.  Be very glad you live a reasonable distance from a dealer.  If you lived in my hometown of Fargo, ND for example, you'd have to drive about 300 miles to Minneapolis to do this.  Hopefully BMWGM5 can fix your key so you won't have to.

For fun, everybody should go to that site and look at the Key Wall Of Shame.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by valvashon valvashon wrote:

For fun, everybody should go to that site and look at the Key Wall Of Shame.

I'm not sure "fun" is the right word to use there :( Poor circuit boards.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 4:24pm
Thanks everybody.  I had planned on calling Bruce after the new key comes in.  At some point during some remodeling, one of my keys disappeared.  This key is the only one I have except for that fobless key.  I will send this one off to the BMWGM5 guy as soon as I get properly identified and charged, new key ordered, received and given to me.  I like his site.  Thanks, Bruce.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 4:35pm
Also - please don't misunderstand - I totally support the ownership and identification bit - I'm glad they do this.  The part I object to is having to do this before PLACING the order.  It seems to me that they wouldn't have to hand out a paid for key without the ID and proof of ownership, which is exactly what they did when I stepped on my second key fumbling around in the garage during a power outage.  I also expect to go thru the ID and ownership thing again when I pick up the key - again - a good practice.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/14 at 5:24pm
German and electronics Clap

British and anything electrical Thumbs Down
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
valvashon View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valvashon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/14 at 2:10am

Also - please don't misunderstand - I totally support the ownership and identification bit - I'm glad they do this.  The part I object to is having to do this before PLACING the order.  It seems to me that they wouldn't have to hand out a paid for key without the ID and proof of ownership, which is exactly what they did when I stepped on my second key fumbling around in the garage during a power outage.  I also expect to go thru the ID and ownership thing again when I pick up the key - again - a good practice.

I think they do this because your next key just isn't laying around in a warehouse or something, they need to cut and program the EWS for your car.  Proof and payment beforehand cuts down on waste- keys ordered that are never picked up.

Bruce

...Now mom may drive to the grocery store, But that's not what this car is really for...
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/14 at 7:46am
Just because I'm geeky like that... The process to get a key cut for my house is more difficult than the MINI process. Not sure that provides any comfort but thought I'd mention it. And yes, I did that to myself when I purchased this system. But, like I said, I'm geeky like that.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/14 at 10:34am
Throwing in my 2 cents Tongue  I agree with Pat that it is a large pain in the a** to have to go to the MINI dealer with ID to place the order . . . however, in line with Mitch's comment about checks and balances, it may be the dealer's way to be certain the checking ID part gets done. I can see someone being in a hurry at the order pickup and the ID not getting checked - not likely (hopefully) that they'd miss checking ID twice.  Good point from Bruce too. At any rate, Pat, I hope it solves you key issue! 

Also, had to smile about Stephen's comment about the British and electrical. Back in the day my brother owned a '53 Jaguar, which he mostly worked on himself. I would hear this uproarious laughter coming from the garage. I'd check it out, and he would be laying in the car under the dash (or sometimes under the car), laughing outloud and would say, "You wouldn't believe the way they did this!"  Tongue
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/14 at 4:42pm
The dash on my TR3 came out with 4 screws.  The wiring terminals were something else.  There was a post with a threaded hole in the top, and a hole thru the side for the wires.  Once you had whatever big thick cloth covered wires in the side holes, you tightened down a thoughtfully knurled knob which clamped down on the wires for the connection.  There were a bunch of other unusual items inside as well.  Can't remember what all anymore, but it wasn't rocket science.  You could figure out fairly easily which component or wire had released all of its smoke...

Got my key ordered which I should be able to pick-up in a few days.

I'm also about ready to give up on selling the Mini, so we can probably kill this thread.  Kurt's comment about my Mini pleading for it's life finally got to me.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/14 at 5:00pm
YAY! Your MINI's getting a reprieve . . . very good! Clap
Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/14 at 8:22am
Whew.  I thought I was going to have to come down there and thrash you a bit.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/14 at 8:35am
 Pat:   Clap   Thumbs UpThumbs Up  Clap
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/14 at 9:19am

I'm also about ready to give up on selling the Mini, so we can probably kill this thread.  Kurt's comment about my Mini pleading for it's life finally got to me.

Does this mean we'll see you on more runs? I do hope so.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/14 at 12:36pm
Well huh.  Not sure if this is because I ordered and paid for my new key yesterday, or it is proof that Kurt was right about the car pleading for its life, but my old key started working again now that I have made it official that Onramp gets to keep his place in the garage...

Genie, Jack and Rob - thanks - I really appreciate it.  I just needed to work through a trend I see where common courtesy, good manners, good customer service and other opportunities for a positive experience between a vendor of some sort and their customers is going away.  Think about this - when was the last time someone said "Thank you" for your purchase as opposed to "here you go!' when handing you a receipt.  Anyway - don't answer this - its a subject maybe for another thread.

Ryan - uh, when touring really gets going, I'll be riding, but thanks!

2006 Hyper Blue JCW
25percentbritish View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25percentbritish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/14 at 7:40pm
With all this discussion about keys and my CVT to 6 speed conversion nearly complete, I need to make a decision.

Currently, I only have the one key that came with my R50 mini.

It sounds like I need to go to the dealer, give them my first born, proof of mini ownership and my 2nd kidney to make me spare key?

Or, are there some other less costly options?

2003 Chili Red R50
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/14 at 8:00pm
This was a fun read, not to mention a happy ending.  I suppose I should be eternally grateful that Pat's MINI and mine were not assembled on the same day.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/14 at 8:53pm
Bruce - you crack me up, buddy.  Glad you have come back to the fold.  I was starting to think you had started washing your car!
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/14 at 8:57pm
OH - 25% - check with Bruce (Valvashon)!  He really is our go to guy for keys.  Send him a PM (if you haven't already - I just read your post.  Sorry.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12