Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inner hood scoop grill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inner hood scoop grill
    Posted: March/19/13 at 8:48am
Does anyone with 2nd gen MINIs had the grill inside the hood scoop removed for better airflow, better cooling of the engine bay or else?

Stefano
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/13 at 9:00am
I've been thinking about adding this:

http://www.outmotoring.com/aem-r56-s-intake.html

It ducts the hood scoop right into the included air box.  It appears to also be plumbed as the factory airbox and includes a heatshield to protect the plastic snorkel.

And then combine it with this (just for obnoxiousness) because you can never be "too" seen in a Mini:
http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMX1253/HOOD-SCOOP-3-LED-INSERT---R55-56-57-58-59-COOPER-S
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
Sixate View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/13 at 9:00am
Why don't the links work like links?
07 MCSa Laser Blue w/ checkboards everywhere
Transmission 6 speeds...Gas pedal 1 speed....Full Speed Ahead!
Kirby11 View Drop Down
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Driving Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/13 at 9:54am
I replaced the OEM one with one of these:  http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=60
2011 LB/W MCS "PINTSZE" (*SOLD*)
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/13 at 3:43pm
Ok but does anyone took it off? Does it make any difference? I feel like that engine bay is super hot..

2013 GP

onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/13 at 7:05pm
It comes off pretty easily Stefano.  I helped somebody do this, and we opted to put it back on after dremelling out the holes.  Take it off and see what you think.  I also helped a guy install the cold airbox kit.  Bit of work, but that seemed to make a bit of a difference.  Not really sure how much the scoop will lower underhood temps, but it kind of makes sense.  Not sure what the airflow over the hood does on the newer cars.
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/13 at 8:37pm
Thanks Pat! Yeah, I mean I feel I can bake pizzas inside my engine bay

2013 GP

DneprDave View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DneprDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/13 at 7:01am
I took the grill out of my scoop, it's pretty easy and I think it looks better with no grill at all.

I've been driving it with no scoop grill for a year and the engine has stayed clean and bug free.

The hood also feels much cooler without the grill.

Dave
Chili red/ Black roof 2010 Clubman S automatic transmission.

Shadetree mechanic
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/13 at 7:40am
The '07's were sealed/closed and then the hood started warping. The '08's had holes punched out in some of the grid. This gave people the impression that the closed scoop was a very bad idea and a design flaw. When the '08s started warping the idea of removing the thing completely was talked about. From what I remember here are the pros cons of each solution:

Remove it:
Best air flow but you risk getting all kinds of junk into the engine bay.

Punch more holes in it:
Some people punched out all the holes but left the grid in place. This provided better airflow but still provided some benefit in keeping larger bits from being sucked into the scoop. Time consuming process though.

Go aftermarket:
Most of the better aftermarket solutions, like the one Sixate pointed out, transform the completely non-functional scoop to probably functional. I say "probably" because only a few of the aftermarket solutions actually have any data to back-up their claims of better air into the box. Con is the fact some of these aftermarket solutions can be a bit expensive.

My personal opinion is that modifying the scoop will not help in keeping the engine bay cool while moving. The MINI does a pretty decent job of that itself and that little gap won't help where it counts like the intercooler. Where it does seriously help is when you've stopped moving. Lot's of heat rising off the turbo with nowhere to go. If I've been running hard I just pop the hood and problem solved.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/13 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by ipeverywhere ipeverywhere wrote:

The '07's were sealed/closed and then the hood started warping. The '08's had holes punched out in some of the grid. This gave people the impression that the closed scoop was a very bad idea and a design flaw. When the '08s started warping the idea of removing the thing completely was talked about. From what I remember here are the pros cons of each solution:

Remove it:
Best air flow but you risk getting all kinds of junk into the engine bay.

Punch more holes in it:
Some people punched out all the holes but left the grid in place. This provided better airflow but still provided some benefit in keeping larger bits from being sucked into the scoop. Time consuming process though.

Go aftermarket:
Most of the better aftermarket solutions, like the one Sixate pointed out, transform the completely non-functional scoop to probably functional. I say "probably" because only a few of the aftermarket solutions actually have any data to back-up their claims of better air into the box. Con is the fact some of these aftermarket solutions can be a bit expensive.

My personal opinion is that modifying the scoop will not help in keeping the engine bay cool while moving. The MINI does a pretty decent job of that itself and that little gap won't help where it counts like the intercooler. Where it does seriously help is when you've stopped moving. Lot's of heat rising off the turbo with nowhere to go. If I've been running hard I just pop the hood and problem solved.

I think I'm just gonna take it off for a bit and see how it goes. 
Thanks for the info!

2013 GP

Post Reply Post Reply