Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosediPod controls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: iPod controls
    Posted: November/11/05 at 7:19am
I am hoping for Christmas to get the iPod controls for my MINI.  I am leaning towards the dealer installed controls, but I know there are a few after market controls (ICE is one that comes to mind).

I have been unable to find much in the way of people's opinion about either of the controls.

Does anybody have either the dealer installed or some after-market iPod control solutions? 
  • What do you think of it?
  • Where does your iPod reside while in the car?
  • What functionality can you control from the stereo/steering wheel controls?
I also think that with all the parts, pieces and installation you have to buy with the aftermarket ones, there isn't a cost benefit.  NW MINI quoted me $299 installed.

I am getting tired of my FM transmitter - it eats through batteries and doesn't give a nice, clear broadcast (yeah, I know I should have gotten the Monster FM transmitter - they were out of stock when I went to buy and I needed to get ready for a roadtrip).

Thanks
2002 MCS Silver and Black, bonnet and boot stripes, auxillary guages, seat heater, JCW intake, 15% pulley, drilled rotors, ICE>LINK PLUS
Covington Mini View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/05 at 6:20am

I'm very interested in this, as well.  I've seen three different aftermarket products, and they all look comparable in function, if not in price.  I would LOVE to have clear reception and my wheel controls for my IPOD.  The FM transmitter just doesn't do the job.

EAR2EAR View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/05 at 12:11pm
We have the dealer installed controls. The Ipod is in the glovebox on the organizer shelf. The cable has about a foot of slack to connect to.The steering wheel controls let you change tracks and volume. The factory stereo shows only the track number, no song titles.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/05 at 11:37pm

I've always been curious about how it handles the tracks.  Can you do playlists with the factory controls?  I've got a 60gb Ipod that's about half full, so finding music on the fly can be a challenge.  The only way to find music on there is via playlists. 

I hadn't thought about the glove box.  The aftermarket devices have Ipod mounts, but I'm worried that they would interfere with my one viable cup holder.

Thanks for the information.

Edited by Covington Mini
Dave View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/05 at 12:25am

Take a look at the Harman Kardon Drive + Play.  This is what I'm leaning towards:

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

Dave

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/05 at 1:23am

http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/piebmwpcpod.html

This is the one that I'm leaning toward.  Anyone ever dealt with this company?  What I like about it, from the description, is that it controls the ipod via the wheel controls, will actually display track and playlist information on the radio display and handles playlists.

Price is middle of the road... not the cheapest, but not as expensive as the MINI Factory set or the Icelink system.

Edit:  I just noticed that this one isn't available yet. :( 

Edited by Covington Mini
beauraines View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/05 at 6:11am

I've seen the IceLink, the Harman Kardon, the Monster iCruze and the MINI installed controls.

I was surprised that the MINI one doesn't display track names.  I was hoping that it would.

The HK and the Monster both don't use the stereo display and have an external display (optional purchase on the Monster).  I'm don't think I want an extra "thing" bolted on in my interior. 

I like on the PIE and the MINI models that the iPod lives in the glove box.  It is a good safe place to put it.  Those controls should not be used while driving.  I also didn't want to lose the cup holder to my MINI.  I sometimes already use it for holding my phone (headset use only) - much less maybe actually wanting to drink something.

Some follow up questions:

• Does anybody know if the Icelink displays track names on the stereo displays?
  • Do the MINI installed controls display the Playlist name (but not the track names).

ps. I'm glad this topic finally generated some discussion.  I was worried that iPods were a forbidden topic.

2002 MCS Silver and Black, bonnet and boot stripes, auxillary guages, seat heater, JCW intake, 15% pulley, drilled rotors, ICE>LINK PLUS
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/06 at 4:56am
Did any one get any flavor of iPod controls for Christmas?

My gift was the go ahead to get one, but I'm still not sure which. 

I've heard some people speak very highly of the Icelink system - does any one have that one?
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/06 at 5:44am

I would do a search on MINI2 on the icelink.  Don't quote me, but it seems like there were some issues with the '02 head and the icelink for compatibility.  I didn't read all the threads, but as I recall, there was much discussion about different issues.  

I saw that outmotoring.com has the OEM IPod adapter for ~$150, with what seemed like very straightforward installation instructions.  You might want to check that out. 

For me, I'm interested in something.  That said, it's looking like if I play my cards right and save up some dough this year and perform the requisite amount of sucking up to my wife, I'll be ordering a new '07 MCS for next year.  The sales guy I talked to at NW MINI said that a USB connector is in the works for the '07s, which (if true) would solve the problem altogether.

Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/06 at 11:38am
I may be dreaming here, and I don't know if this exists or not, but wouldn't it be great...

There's an extra button on the nav system that doesn't do anything. I can close my eyes and imagine this. I'd ask you to close your eyes too, but then you couldn't read the rest of this.

OK, here goes...I push the extra button and the nav screen turns into an ipod screen, then I use the spin-button thing on the nav to search by artist, album, playlist, etc.

The steering wheel control doesn't sound that exciting to me if I can't see the menus or the names of songs etc.

Edited by sizmtrz - January/28/06 at 1:20am
Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/06 at 4:33am
The fine folks at Mini have told me that if I want to get the iPod adapter, the hands-free phone would have to go. I don't want to live without my hands-free phone.

Does anybody know of an iPod adapter that will work while the hands-free phone is installed?
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/06 at 8:48am
I finally did it.  I got tired of the FM adapter and purchased the Ice Link Plus.  Their website says it is backordered (with dock connector), but they had it in stock and its shipping tomorrow.

It seems that the new firmware will allow text display of the ID3 tags and there is debate whether the 02 will do it.  Some say you have to have an MP3 enabled head unit (05 and later), others say any stereo with RDS will display the text.

Although I was holding out for text display, steering wheel controls and better audio quality will make up for that.  The varying audio quality  I'm getting from my FM adapter makes me think twice about even posting it on Craigslist.

Originally posted by sizmtrz sizmtrz wrote:

Does anybody know of an iPod adapter that will work while the hands-free phone is installed?

From all that I've read, most of adapters will interfere if you have a CD changer or the hands-free phone (because that too runs through the head unit).  I also learned that there are two camps out there, the adaptor camp and the auxillary input camp.  The auxillary input would work in your case, but you don't get the steering wheel controls, charging or playlist selection from the preset buttons.

Guests View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/06 at 2:21pm
I had the aux input installed when I bought the car. It works good, and I'm learning to just make playlists so I won't want to tinker with the iPod while I'm driving. I just set it, and forget it. The battery on the iPod lasts longer if you're not fiddling with the controls all the time anyway, so I'm not really missing the charger bit.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/06 at 12:34pm
My Ice Link came today.

While I was working from home, everytime I heard a big truck drive by my house, I would go check to see if it was the UPS man making a delivery.  My neighbors got a couch, the mail man came and finally at 6:45, the UPS guy came.

I'm waiting for the auto-up circuit, so I can install them both at the same time.

The package indicates that text display is enabled in MINIs with a production date of 02/2005 or later.  If you've replaced your head unit 02/2005 or later, PM me and maybe I could take it off your hands...
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/17/06 at 12:12am

Beauraines:

So, how do you like the IceLink?  Is it up and running?  I've given up on using my Ipod in my MINI until I order my new one.  I can't stand the sound quality using the FM transmitters and I've read about bugs with the '02 deck and the aux input. 

I'd love to hear a full report.  Did you install it yourself?  Any snags?  Does it function as designed? 

And on related news, did you see this article on Motoringfile?  http://motoringfile.com/2006/04/13/bmws-next-generation-ipod -integration-debuts/

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/06 at 1:46pm
I've got the IceLink installed.  It isn't put away nicely yet - somewhat of a story there.

I love the IceLink - the audio quality is great (so much better than the FM transmitter I was using).  You plug it in, hit the mode button a few times and you've got music from your iPod.  The presets 1 through 5 on the HU control playlists and the paddles on the steering wheel control tracks.

Pre-set button 6 brings up a menu to go to your full list of playlists (presets only do first 5, sorted numerically then alpha), change to use the iPod controls, something callled album mode where it plays by album and then a setup menu.  You still do the navigation with the steering wheel controls.

• The setup menu allows you to change the language of the interface and control how the iPod is charged.

• If you pull the iPod out, play it and then come back into the car, the iPod picks up where it left off.

• If you turn off the stereo (say, while answering your headset enabled cell phone), the iPod pauses.

All good things.

Some of the other things I've noticed:
  1. When plugged into the IceLink, the display uses an ugly large font (which is probably good for glancing at while driving).
  2. The font on the extra menu, from preset 6, is tiny.  If you are going  to make use of this functionality, you've got to mount it where you can see it.
  3. There is a delay which takes some getting used to.  You press the paddle to go to the next track and there is a 1 second delay.  Same with changing playlists.
  4. I don't think it updates the last played date.
  5. When I first plugged the iPod in, IceLink set my iPod to Repeat.
  6. Track names not displayed on my HU (I knew it wouldn't, but I read that it does on later models).
I haven't figured out where I want to mount the iPod.  I want something out of the way, but the font size on the extra menu suggests that you should put it someplace easily visible.

I swear I ordered the model that attaches to the headunit.  That's why I waited until I got my auto-up circuit, since I was going to have to take off that trim (aux gauges get in the way of the little access hatch).  I studied up on how to take out the headunit and set out to do it.  The trim came off very easily.  The wires on the head unit were very short and I could barely get the HU out of the mount.  That is when I discovered that I actually received the trunk mount Ice Link.

It was super easy to install because the CD changer plugs are in that hatch on the right side of the boot.  It comes with a 5 meter cord that I can run to the front seat area.  I haven't done this yet because I'm not sure where I want the iPod to live.  I've read some things that suggest it is pretty easy to tuck the wire up under the trim on the passenger side without having to take any trim pieces off.

Now all that isn't to say that my install was without problems.  I spent several hours looking for the right connector for my auto-up circuit to my garage door opener (I know, it is another topic) so I was frustrated.

To install the IceLink, you need to disconnect your battery.  Easy enough to do, BUT DON'T CLOSE THE BOOT WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED. Stupidly, I did and if it wasn't for my 6 year old's small arms being able to get the seat latch, I probably would have removed the back seats just to get the battery back together.  Removing the battery also resets your computer if you are using it to keep track of fuel economy.

Bottom line - the icelink is great.  Easy to install (in retrospect, I think the trunk mount is easier).  It gets the music from my iPod to my MINI stereo with excellent quality and I can control it from the steering wheel.

Now to finish the auto-up installation.

cablebob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 9:28am

thank you for the excellent post about the whole IPOD thing.  i got one for christmas (a 5th generation, 60 gig IPOD) and i have had some problems w/ the fm transmitter i have.  i will say that the i-trip works really well, since it charges the ipod at the same time, and i have found that if i put the ipod under the passgner visor and run the cord around the rear-view, it gets pretty good receptoion, but nothing compared to plugged straight in i imagine.

that being said, 2 things. 

1) the icelink is good then? was it hard to install? would you think my wife would let me, (a basically un car savvy person) take apart my interior and attempt to install it?

2) if all goes well, does anyone want a griffin itrip? ;)

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 2:42pm
Glad you didn't find the review posting too long.  I'm sad (in this public forum) that my icelink is still in the status as it was before.  I haven't hidden my cable yet.

The icelink is great.  It hasn't let me down and I think I've only listened to the radio once (because I didn't bring my iPod) since.

Get the CD changer connnector - all you have to do is open up the compartment in the boot and plug it in.  There is no need to pull out the headunit.  That part of installation is easy.

Threads I've read on NAM say it is easy to hide the cable, but none have given good instructions (I'm not clear how to get it past the seat belt anchors...).  But the cable is easy to get from the trunk to the back seat...  At least it is neat and sort of out of the way, but by no means finished.

If any one knows how to hide a cable from the boot to the front of the car, I'd love to know how.  I've been okay with this setup (though not permanent) because it is so much better than the FM transmitter.

I don't know if I totally answered your question, though. Let me know if you would like more info on what I did.
cablebob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/06 at 11:01pm

i dont recall seeing it in your original post, but where did you purchase it? and how much did it set you back? it sounds like its something that i can self install, which is cool :D

i will say thats the one thing i like about my Griffin Itrip, it charges while i drive.. and it mostly works, here in town i found a good frequency that works but when i start heading south, i need to do some tuning.. which a) distracts from the road & b) is annoying as hell :)

and no, it didnt seem to long .. to me at least

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/06 at 3:00pm
I bought mine directly from Dension USA.  I was going to order from their website, but it showed they were out of stock, so I called them (phone number on website).

I wanted the headunit mounted model, but I'm quite happy with the CD changer model as it was easier to install.  So be extra clear with them.

The ice>link will charge your iPod, it has three modes.  Charge while playing, charge for two hours after it is shut off, no charging.  I've read some posts about heat issues with the circuits and the circuit board gets really hot with the charge for two hours after shut off mode, so I don't use that mode.
 Post Reply Post Reply