Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"ItalianJob"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 10:28am
Hmmmm . . . I'll have what she's having . . .  didn't someone mention cupcakes?  I must brush up on my Italian. Wink
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 10:54am
Isn't that how you "break in" a car? 
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
italianjob View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 12:23pm
lol

I believe so..Wink
(Italian Job) '03 MCS Indie Blue SOLD :'(

(Polpetta) 2008 MClubman S Sitting on Sparco Assetto Gara Wheels

2013 GP

"I killed the clown and took his car"
Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by italianjob italianjob wrote:

FOR EVERYONE-

PAT IS THE BEST!!!

Yes, yes he is! Thumbs Up  Pat helped me install the rear sway bar in my MINI.  Star
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Hapa Haole Hapa Haole wrote:

Originally posted by italianjob italianjob wrote:

FOR EVERYONE-

PAT IS THE BEST!!!

Yes, yes he is! Thumbs Up  Pat helped me install the rear sway bar in my MINI.  Star

I'm sure I'll ask him pretty soon to help me install the new front brake pads.

Suggestion are welcome!

I have this in mind:

HAWK Performance Ceramic brake pads

What do you think?

Stefano

by the way, seattleMini asked me almost $600 dollars to replace them...WELL.. NO THANK YOU...

2013 GP

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 3:38pm

I have those pads on both Jessmini and my cars.  We have been quite satisifed with the pads and the very low dust levels are wonderful.  Good time to clean and paint calipers too.

Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 3:57pm
I would guess that Brenda cleans her calipers every time she pulls into her garage!..  There is never any dust, dirt, bird poop, etc. on her rides.  I wonder if the Fire Truck is as clean???  Brenda???

S.

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
onramp View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 5:47pm
Stefano - let me know when you have your pads (and rotors? Brake fluid?) and we'll set a time to do your brakes.

Pat
2006 Hyper Blue JCW
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by onramp onramp wrote:

Stefano - let me know when you have your pads (and rotors? Brake fluid?) and we'll set a time to do your brakes.

Pat

Thank you Pat!

I guess I'll just install the pads and change the brake fluid! No money for new rotors!

Stefano

2013 GP

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 7:27pm
I have the Hawk Ceramics on both WOODSTOCK AND CINIMIN - quiet, dust free, and more than enough stopping power and fade resistance for spirited street use.  One thing to be aware of, if your rotors have a few miles on them , there will be a ridge around the outer edge of the rotor where the rotor is not worn - the Hawk pads can ride on this ridge and not set properly on the rotor. Only solution is new rotors - 
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 8:38pm
33000 miles?? I dont think they are too many..may be, I dont know..

Stefano

2013 GP

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 9:47pm

This might help explain what I am referring to - I had this this when I switched from OEM pads to Hawk Pads on Woodstock - about 20,000 miles on the OEM Pads.  If I had not changed brands, the rotors were OK but the Hawk pads fit in a different place on the rotors and would not seat properly.

Edited by CINIMIN - September/10/10 at 9:49pm
Jack -

Hapa Haole View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Events Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapa Haole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Soggy-1 Soggy-1 wrote:

I would guess that Brenda cleans her calipers every time she pulls into her garage!..  There is never any dust, dirt, bird poop, etc. on her rides.  I wonder if the Fire Truck is as clean???  Brenda???

S.
Ha, ha Stephen! LOL  No, I'm not quite that anal with the fire engine.  However, my MINI is a whole lot easier to keep clean than the fire engine.  Wink
Brenda w/LUV2MTR plates- Aug '06 S, Hyper Blue, white top/sport stripes, chrome in/out, all pkgs, English leather, chrono pack, HK stereo, Jan tune, CAI, 15%, H&R coilovers, rear sway bar, control arm
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

This might help explain what I am referring to - I had this this when I switched from OEM pads to Hawk Pads on Woodstock - about 20,000 miles on the OEM Pads.  If I had not changed brands, the rotors were OK but the Hawk pads fit in a different place on the rotors and would not seat properly.

I see what you mean.

Well, rotors are way to expensive for me at the moment and i really need to get new pads.
While I was taking off the wheels tho get them painted I check the rotors and they seams to be in a pretty good shape, now, I dont know what to do, stick with the old brand or try the Hawk.

ErmmStefanoUnhappy

2013 GP

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 10:54pm
This is what i found:

Hawk Performance burnishes its Performance Ceramic brake pads as a final step in the factory, but all brake pads have to be bedded-in with the rotors (new or used) that they will be used against. Properly bedding-in new brake pads results in a transfer film being generated at the pad and rotor interface to maximize brake performance.

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.

2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.

3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!

4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.

5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.
Make sense if you have "problem" with the old rotors?
It's weird because every time I've change pads on my old Jeep I never had problems.. I guess..

Stefano

2013 GP

CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/10 at 11:29pm
The process for beading in the brake pads and rotors applies to any new brake pad / rotor combination.  It will not solve the problem of proper seating of the new pads if there is significant wear on the rotors. 

Pat should be able to tell if there is an issue with your rotors with the Hawk pads.  This problem only occurs when changing brands of pads where there is a difference in the shape and size of the pads.  If you stay with OEM pads they will probably ride in the same wear area as your old pads and there will not be a problem.  
Jack -

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/10 at 12:02am
gotcha Jack!

2013 GP

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/10 at 7:08am
Brenda:  The Fire Engine sure looks clean.  The shine on those wheels is pretty niceThumbs Up  I'll bet you wish you could crawl under your Mini as easily as crawling under the Fire Engine!?!

Stefano, it appears that you are abandoning all chrome, is that your goal?

Stephen

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/10 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Soggy-1 Soggy-1 wrote:

Brenda:  The Fire Engine sure looks clean.  The shine on those wheels is pretty niceThumbs Up  I'll bet you wish you could crawl under your Mini as easily as crawling under the Fire Engine!?!Stefano, it appears that you are abandoning all chrome, is that your goal?Stephen

no Stephen ! I like some chrome here and there!!:)

Stefano

Edited by italianjob - September/11/10 at 10:59am

2013 GP

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/10 at 11:07am
Stefano:

What you have been doing looks good!  The true spirit of DIY ModsThumbs Up

S.

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/10 at 3:58pm
I have more things to do!Smile

2013 GP

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/10 at 8:17am
The new Hawk pads should come here in a few days!!!
Is 90 bucks a good deal??

Yesterday Cristina said that our Mini needs some more power!!
What should we do about is??!! :)))

Stefano

2013 GP

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/10 at 8:59am
Replace the dilithium crystals.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianjob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/10 at 10:15am
LOL

2013 GP

hip check View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hip check Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/10 at 7:43am
Lookin' good Stefano.  Hope to see it in person at the XXX.
Mitch & Teri
<font color=BLUE>2006 Cooper Checkmate[/COLOR]
<font color=RED>2013 JCW Countryman[/COLOR]
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/10 at 10:12pm
Hi - I am revisiting this thread. Nice looking MINI. Nice black rims. 
I just painted my S-Lites black as well, but I went for a Plasti-dip semi-satin rubberized look. 
It was very easy to paint, but of course it won't be as durable. (I plan on getting new rims in January or February and was getting sick of the Silver S-Lites). 

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/10 at 6:35am
Kurt:

What wheels are you going to put over those JCW brakes in "January or February"?  The PlastiDip job look very goodThumbs Up.

Stephen

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/10 at 9:06am
I'm not sure yet. Trying to decide if I like the black look. I'm thinking Konig Feather, Team Dynamics 1.2  or OZ Ultraleggera 17", in either silver or black...
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/10 at 9:24am
Which of those wheels do you think is the strongest?

S.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/10 at 9:34am
Unfortunately I have no idea. :-) 
Going by price and number of spokes, I would guess the OZ? 
The OZ is about $280 and the TD and Konigs are about $130 each. 

It might be cheaper to just replace the bent wheel if I do bend one...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>