FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeeping the back end CLEAN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping the back end CLEAN
    Posted: March/02/05 at 2:58am

I am sure you all share my enthusiasm for keeping your Mini's clean and shiny.  As a new Mini owner I have found that the back end seems to get about twice as dirty as the rest of the car.  Because the back is pretty much a totally vertical surface, most car washes don't get the job done to my satisfaction.  I found a Brown Bear in Ballard that does a pretty good job, but overall, does anyone have any good (the cheaper the better) car washes that they have found that really gets it clean?  Also, any ideas as to why the back end gets so dirty?  I usually have to squeegie the water and/or dirt off the back window daily just so I can get a clear view.

WHITNEY
'05 Cooper Cabriolet
Miniack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/05 at 7:54am

Best and cheapest way is to stay out of the car washes.  Invest a little time and effort and you will always have a clean car.  I don't know about everybody but my MINI has never seen an automatic carwash.  I would rather have a dirty car for a few days than risk scratching the paint.  Some carwashes have soft brushes or rags, but the car that went have gone before you may have been a mud bucket, leaving little rocks and grime all over the brushes.  Sorry to scold.  I just have strong opinions about cleaning cars.  Those who know me can vouch for that.

As far as why it gets so dirty, the areo-dynamics kick up a vortex currling all the dirt from the road right on the the back. 

I am now putting my soapbox away

MINIACK

whitbrown View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/05 at 8:19am
I accept my scolding...  I know I am better off not taking it through a car wash.  The only problem is, I live in a very small apartment with a limited parking area.  It's tough to find the space to wash it, as well as to find access to a good hose and sprayer.  Of course, EVERY time I go to visit a family member I use their driveway to wash her up, but on the in-between washes, I'm more or less forced into the car wash.  
WHITNEY
'05 Cooper Cabriolet
Miniack View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/05 at 8:56am

Whitney,

What I used to do when I lived in an appartment, was go to one of the pay sprayers.  Bring a bucket your own soap and a good wash mitt.  If you go when it's slow you can get away with it.  It also saves you money with only having to plug the meter only twice, once to rinse and fill your bucket, and once to rinse.  And what ever you do don't use that brush.  I found the wax that they have saves drying time and water spots.

MINIACK

mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/05 at 9:52am

I second that.

Miniack does your car wash come in a soap box.That you were standing on earlier?(pun intended) and no, I won't Quit my day job.

Yes they are dirt magnets or leaf

When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
whitbrown View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/05 at 10:04am
I am laughing like you wouldn't believe.....I love the muddy back side!!!! 
WHITNEY
'05 Cooper Cabriolet
prs1 View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/05 at 10:39am

Hand washing is the best, spay coin 2nd, staying in front of Minirox reduces dirt level.

mikesminirox View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/05 at 10:53am
 Driving behind prs1 increases dirt and debris level. You leaf shreader you.
When in doubt power out.
15%pully,RMW tune/cam/
450inj,HFheadw/lrg ex valves CAI,HFcat,short shft,LSD,22mm rsway,Painted boot,bon stripes,Tinted,chrome accents 03 MCS CR/W
Bing View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/05 at 11:57am
My PW/B stays pretty clean for about 2 weeks and then the back end starts showing the dirt.  Living in an apartment can be tough keeping a car clean.  I would recommend going to a coin operated spray hose.   I am sure washing a Mini convertible would be very easy.  My Mini S is a snap and it has more area than a conv.
Rob Betts View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/05 at 10:19am
I'm an advocate of  washing by hand also.  Get a list of Mini members in your area and stop by for a wash.  If you're in our area, I'll even give you a soda pop.
2003 MCS, Electric Blue/Electric Blue,
Mini Mania 200HP kit.
(Cold air intake, Borla exhaust, 15% pully, Jan tune)
Drilled Rotors, EBC pads, painted calipers
AND 2015 JCW Countryman - Black
Kristin View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/05 at 1:22am

My Mini gets washed at home most of the time.  Unfortunately, my carwash spot is out by the barn and gets muddy if we have a lot of rain (hasn't been much of a problem lately).  When I can't wash at home, I take my washing stuff to one of those coin-op spray your own places and wash by hand.  (Sunday mornings work great)  I have to admit that the pressure sprayer works wonders on my white wheels.  Automatic car washes are evil.  I won't even run my farm truck through one.

Post Reply Post Reply