Puget Sound MINI Motoring Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Interior and Exterior Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKuda or Proclip???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kuda or Proclip???
    Posted: May/10/08 at 1:41pm
I need some help making a decision... I am torn between going the kuda mount route or the Proclip route. Ideally I would like to be able to mount both my GPS and my Iphone side by side... I know I could do it with the proclip as they have an extension that lets you be able to mount 2 products... Not sure if I could do it with the Kuda... Does anybody have any experience with either of these and/or opinions on which they like better...

Thanks
Formerly known as a MINI owner... But no longer... Now I am just a lurker
Escape Pod View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/08 at 3:11pm
I'm afraid I can't advise based on personal experience, but I can complicate your decision with another option....  LOL
 We were intrigued by Craven Speed's FlexPod.  It can handle add-on gauges, iPods, phones, etc., and attaches to your tachometer.  Have a look at the description on the MotoringFile Gift Guide:
Roy & Beth Morey
Red/Blk JCW Roadster (His)
Silver/Red JCW Coupe (Hers)
Pawsome View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/08 at 4:59pm
I highly recommend using the Kuda mount. The mount looks good and once you get the mount in, it's set firmly and dooesn't move a bit.

For R56:

Here's the post I made on PSMINI:

http://psmini.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3008

Here's the NAM post that helped me:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110837

Another more pro install: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111280

Another link: http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99523

There is a thread on NAM for R52/53 but I couldn't find in 5minutes :) I am sure if you do some digging...

Edited by Pawsome - May/10/08 at 5:01pm
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 12:30am
Baxter out of curiosity just where do you want to mount these items?

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 12:48am
John raises a good question.  The mount locations for both are completely different.  The Kuda mounts on the dash  above the speedo, and Proclip mounts on the downtube (the MINI version, anyway).  At least, that is what they both had when I was looking into them, and bought one of each.  The Proclip holds my Sirius, and Kuda holds my Garmin.  One potential drawback to the dual holder on the Proclip is the width of the items.  My Sirius isn't overly wide, but when mounted on the passenger side, it does interfere a little bit with the passengers left leg.

If you would like, I can snap shots of each and post them.

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 1:11am
Sure Eric go for the pictures we love picturesThumbs%20Up

John
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Baxter View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 3:30am
Kuda makes a downtube mount as well... I was thinking I would go downtube, and I thought about the wideness, but proclip also has the ability to go 2 pieces of equipment one on top the other, so I could mount my Garmin on top and on my Iphone under that...
Boomer View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer
PSMINI Nonmember

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 7:56am
Baxter, I have the Kuda and it's rock solid. Looks good, almost OEM. While I have it on the R56 I think searocko has it on his 05 and I believe he likes his as well.

Looked at the proclip but thought the location wasn't as good for Nav as the Kuda.  The proclip might be better for the phone and the Kuda for your Nav. With Nav you want that screen as close to eye level as you can and this, for me, was it's biggest selling point.

Cheers!
07 MCS, JIC Cross C/O, JCW BBK, Milltek exhaust, RR DP, Helix I/C, RMW tune (208.5 WHP & 238.3 WTQ)Ray's (17 lbs) and Nitto NT01 for track duty
Baxter View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 10:15am
Thanks for the inputs everyone. I may end up springing for both and setting them up the best way with everything mounted to them... I could still mount my ipod and Iphone to the proclip and mount the Garmin on the kuda... Of course having my phone next to my ipod, that wouldn't be excessive would it???
phydeaux View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 2:58pm
OK, finally got to take my photos.

First up, I had the Sirius, and went with the Proclip solution, as I liked the location best.  On the passenger downtube, the Proclip does interfere with the glovebox door a little bit.  But, mroe than that, it does get in the way of the passengers leg.  Thus, I have it now on the driver side downtube.  Being 6'-3", my right knee bends up and over the Sirius.  It does make seeing the LCD a bit more of a challenge, but for now, I just deal with it.

As for the Kuda, I decided that was the best mount for the Garmin.  I used to run with the suction cup on the lower left of the windshield, but didn't like the difficulty reaching it.  Now, just over the speedo, it's well within reach.  And when motoring with Deanne, she can enter a location if we need it.  Just a simple move of the Garmin, and there it is.

As for attaching photos, I'm going to have to figure out why it's not working sometime tomorrow.  I keep getting an error that the JPG isn't a JPG file.  WTF?

Mod list '05 DS/B MCS
WA plate "2AAREQD"
CosmicTraveler View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/08 at 4:46pm
Thumbs up for the dashboard Kuda (to mount a Garmin nuvi) from me too.  I was sold after phydeaux showed me his.  Just haven't gotten around to hiding the power wire, or the remote antenna wire - which I happen to share with my hiking unit.  Like Eric, I didn't use the anchor screw beneath the dash grille, as it's quite solid with the upper and lower tabs in place.  Also agree that it's a nice location for the passenger to be able to share in the fun, and it doesn't block the driver's line of sight to any gauges.
   Take It Easy ... Buck

'06 MCS JCW CR/CR
 Post Reply Post Reply