Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lug bolt just spinning - help please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 8:51am
I'll grab a hairdryer and my dust can. Good suggestions, thanks.

Rob N View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 9:31am
Ryan,
Try wedging something firmly between the wheel and the hub to put as much pressure as possible on the outbound threads before trying to turn the lug.  Maybe you can force them to engage.
Rob, Vickie and Alice

COOPR-S

The question is, "When you turn on your car does it return the favor?"
South Lake European View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Lake European Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 9:36am
Did you get it out yet?  If not, let me know..I'm sure we can get it off for you.   Hopefully, you'll just need a new lug nut and not the hub...

Derek
Derek Simonsen
Owner-- South Lake European
205 Rainier Ave S
Renton, WA 98057
425-276-5668
www.southlakeeuropean.com
http://www.facebook.com/SouthLakeEuropean
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 10:26am
Hi Derek,
Not started on the attempts for today. Do you do house calls? :)

Have some help on the way from Jack and we'll attack it. If we can't get it I'll figure out how to get to you or figure out what it would take for you to come my way to drill the bloody thing out so we can at least diagnose the damage. If it is hub work I can have it towed your way if your shop can do the work.
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 3:10pm
Alsatia required a bigger hammer. She's in the hands of South Lake European now. Thanks much to Jack who assisted with some extra muscle and for following me down South to make sure I arrived with all parts still on the MINI.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 4:11pm
Thanks to Ryan I got the delux tour of the back road route from Issaquah to Renton.  Nice peacfull drive and no stops to pickup stray pieces of MINI!  I'm sure the guys at SLE will get to the bottom of the problem and the end of the lug bolt.  Saw an old friend in the lot at SLE  -  she was looking good but I didn't have a chance give Stella a closer look...   Mentioned Pat's name and they didn't throw us out so i guess they think he's OK...  We worked in a lunch stop at XXX on the way back.  Got to play in some traffic on the 405 return trip - but it wasn't as bad as I thought the rain would make it.  Good day over all - just hope the damage is minimal and it just takes a new lug bolt to make everything good a new.
Jack -

<font color=RED>CINIMIN [/COLOR]

2006 CR/W MCS - 6spd - LSD -15% Pulley - Dinan CAI
ASA JH6's Koni FSD's 22mm Bar
Have you hugged a curve today?

SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 4:43pm
Got my fingers cross for you Ryan!

I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 4:58pm
Good luck. I'd like to hear how they are able to get it out. 

johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 10:04pm
Do we have an ending to this Ryan.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/12 at 11:39pm
Not yet. SLE was pretty busy so giving them time.
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 12:08am
Got any ideas on the root cause?

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 12:54pm
Verdict: Cross Threaded and a damaged hub.

I'll post pictures when I get Alsatia back.
SMOG View Drop Down
PSMINI Member
PSMINI Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 1:16pm
Disapprove  OOPS!
I wish there was a local MINI Dealership, like our Honda, Subaru, Mazada and VW.
garumph View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garumph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 3:36pm
Ouch, I would definitely have a stern talk with the mechanic that did that.Wink
Gordon
Clifford, '14 Countryman All4 S
Hunka Burning Love, '12 Coupe S, Burnt Orange
Flames, '05 MC Black
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 5:22pm
Ryan - sorry it isn't just a lug bolt fix - any word on how long until you get your car back?
Jack -

Marc View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 6:06pm
I bet he's re-thinking the whole "rotating between winter and summer tires" thing.  Stern Smile

Personally, I've never done it... but then again, I live two blocks from a store and work from home.  So, it's not really high priority for me.

Ying Yang

Edited by Marc - October/23/12 at 6:08pm
Beastie - Jan 2012 JCW Clubman (auto), Eclipse Grey, Black Trim & stripes, tinted windows, technology & Cold Weather pkg.
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 6:40pm

It's a sing-a-long!
Which one of these is not like the other?
Which one of these will *?%$-up your hub?

SLE should have Alsatia done tomorrow. As they had her up on the lift, I asked them to do a couple other things for me that I was planning to do myself. Seriously though, this will not deter me from rotating my own tires. I'll just be super extra careful, like cleaning the bolts before putting them back in. If it happens again though I may sell my car, move into the city, and get an Orca card.

SLE has been really helpful and in contact regularly. They did a super job of jumping in and taking over this (normally) routine job. I wouldn't hesitate to take Alsatia there again.

Oh, and I've already given myself and my credit card a very stern talking to. Someones not getting everything they wanted for the holidays this year :P
Dave's not here View Drop Down
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave's not here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 7:27pm
Ryan, sorry to hear about Alsatia but it sounds like you'll be back on the road in no time.  I thought this sounded familiar and after seeing your photos I went out to the garage and found one of mine.  This same thing happened to me at a race.  I would rotate the wheels after each session (to get the most mileage out of the tires).  I would have to wait about a half an hour before doing this though because of the heat generated after a track session.  When the one started to spin instead of breaking loose, I thought my weekend was done.  I got lucky by waiting a few more minutes before trying again and it caught and broke loose and was removed, although the lugnut (bolt) was toast.  Fortunately, there was a BMW crew (in the early days of PRO 3) who brought lots of spare parts and I was able to buy another one to save my day.  Mine doesn't look nearly as bad as yours and I was lucky not to have stripped out the hub.  Check it out -

5 race wins, 2 in the rain. 2nd in ICSCC G Production Championship 2005 and 2006. Now I'm just gonna drive the MINI.
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 7:49pm
Take 1/2 of a second to prevent cross threaded bolts or nuts - insert the bol or nut - rotate BACKWARDS until you hear / feel a click - hand tighten as normal from that point.  Works everytime.  Something you all probably know - but in case you might be taking a shortcut - torque lugs in at least 3 steps - on our MINIs I do 60 - 75 - 83.  There is also some debate about using anti sieze on bolt threads - everything I have read from reliable sources says absolutly no antisieze on the threads - just on the wheel face where it meets the hub.  (All torque settings are based on dry threads - any foreign matter can give false readings)

Edited by CINIMIN - October/23/12 at 9:01pm
Jack -

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 8:02pm
Larry has always switched out summer and winter tires on my MINIs since they are my daily drive all year round.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
leogetz View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leogetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 8:59pm
Sorry to hear /read about this...hope you're back on the road soon.
GREYSEN - '12 Countryman S All4 - Royal Grey w/ Black Roof, Stripes and Trim (no chrome) - Premium, Cold Weather & Sport Pkgs - NM Eng RSe14 Wheels - JCW Exhaust - LED Fog Lights
Sanderskog View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanderskog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 9:26pm
Wow!  Just saw this.  Sorry!  If you're ever in a pinch shoot me a PM, I'm local to you and have lots'o'tools to help as needed (heat gun, impact wrench, drills, bits, jacks, etc.). Thumbs Up

Todd
2012 VW Golf Pirate Edition... Aarrr! - JACK

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
LIVESTRONG
CINIMIN View Drop Down
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CINIMIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/12 at 9:43pm
Ryan - doesn't look like they did any drilling to get the bolt out - how did they actually remove it???
Jack -

MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Lake European Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 8:21am
Hey Jack..that's an excellent point about threading in a bolt, screw (especially in wood) reverse until you hear or feel it drop in to the original thread.   A lot of people don't know about this.  I've gotten in the habit of doing that with every screw/bolt.

How did we get it out....SLE magic fairy dust  :)

Ryan, it will be done today...not sure about noon but if that doesn't work I'll send an employee up to get you!   It's a long walk...
Derek Simonsen
205 Rainier Ave S
Renton, WA 98057
425-276-5668
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 9:52am
You know everyone that because of the way the hubs are made and the way the  bolts engage the hub it is easy for road junk to end up in the threads. When this happens and you go to remove you pull that junk into the threads. This looks more like thread galling then cross threading.

Dave looks like the same problem but you are spot on as the heat contributing to the problem.

catlvr2 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Ambassador (past Comm Officer)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catlvr2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 10:12am
Originally posted by johnf36 johnf36 wrote:

You know everyone that because of the way the hubs are made and the way the  bolts engage the hub it is easy for road junk to end up in the threads. When this happens and you go to remove you pull that junk into the threads. This looks more like thread galling then cross threading.

Dave looks like the same problem but you are spot on as the heat contributing to the problem.

Larry says that he concurs.
Leanne

2012 Hot Choc. S; "CATLVR" plates

Gone but not forgotten:
Bad Kitty 2010 hot choc. cabrio
2008 oxy. blue cooper
2005 chili red cooper
MINI Motorer
MINI Motorer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Lake European Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 12:00pm
Do NOT use anti-sieze on lug bolts!!   When changing brake pads...clean the hub surface with scotch brite (or similar) and put a VERY small amount of anti seize on hub/rotor area where the wheel mates with it.  This is so your wheel wont bond to the hub/brake assembly.
Derek Simonsen
205 Rainier Ave S
Renton, WA 98057
425-276-5668
johnf36 View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnf36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/12 at 12:54pm
I should add this can also happen if the bolt is over torqued and stretched.

Second Derek's comment/suggestion.

I will also hit the bolt threads with a brass brush.

PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 11:29am
Final follow-up...
So thanks again to Derek and his South Lake European crew for getting me back on the road so expediently. I'll let Derek explain what "magic fairy dust" was used but I can confirm it took two to apply said dust and it was applied while the car was up in the air. Very excited to have found a reliable and enthusiastic shop.

Also, thanks to PSMINI (especially Jack)! We've got a good community here.
Genie B View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/12 at 4:24pm
Great to hear that it ended well. Nice SAVE on Derek's (SLE) part. Clap  Kudos to Jack for his in-person rescue efforts (glad he got to ride some backroads on his Birthday!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>