Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussions > Tires and Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lug bolt just spinning - help please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
PSMINI Skilled Member
PSMINI Skilled Member

PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saphire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/12 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by CINIMIN CINIMIN wrote:

Take 1/2 of a second to prevent cross threaded bolts or nuts - insert the bol or nut - rotate BACKWARDS until you hear / feel a click - hand tighten as normal from that point.  Works everytime.  Something you all probably know - but in case you might be taking a shortcut - torque lugs in at least 3 steps - on our MINIs I do 60 - 75 - 83.  There is also some debate about using anti sieze on bolt threads - everything I have read from reliable sources says absolutly no antisieze on the threads - just on the wheel face where it meets the hub.  (All torque settings are based on dry threads - any foreign matter can give false readings)

Ryan, glad all is well, trying to picture how you do it yourself as I seem to need two hands and one foot when I change tires.    4+ what Jack said, especially in wood and plastic.   Derick, was it the push/pull brand of fairy dust?
Les.
ipeverywhere View Drop Down
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Admin
PSMINI Treasurer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipeverywhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/12 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Saphire Saphire wrote:

Ryan, glad all is well, trying to picture how you do it yourself as I seem to need two hands and one foot when I change tires.  

Where there is will there is a way. It's probably the most unsafe procedure you could use so I won't describe it in detail. If it ever goes wrong I'm sure there will be pictures on the local news and I'll end-up in some Darwin blog. But, it does require using both legs to stabilize the tire and some heft with one arm to lift the wheel onto the hub. One of these things is on my x-mas list which would make things a bit safer and easier. Or maybe I'll just get studs at some point because I like how they look.
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini-cooper-wheel-lug_guide.html

P.S. I tie my own shoes too.

CORNERS View Drop Down
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Expert Advisor
PSMINI Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CORNERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/12 at 12:14pm

I think I have a 12mm lug guide tool that I am not using. I might have already given it to someone. Will  bring to the Xmas party if I can find it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123